Purchasing A Smooth Daily Writer With Line Variation

BinaryRun

Actually its John Mottishaw from nibs.com who has a long backlog, and months waiting time - unless you either buy the pen from him or you pay a rush fee. Greg Minuskin in contrast is usually quite fast. You are correct in that he and Mottishaw are more expensive than other folks. However both are excellent nibmeisters in fact, Minuskin was an apprentice of Mottishaw. Also both can retip nibs, something that most other nibmeisters cannot do.

Great to hear Greg is turning things around so quickly. I love his work. John's also super and I've had a great relationship with him and his shop for more years than I care to count. I've stopped getting John to grind the nibs of even the pens I buy from him, though, his approach to stubs is a bit sharper than my taste, even when we've discussed getting a slightly gentler edge. There's another thread active at the moment where someone did a bit of comparison of three of the nib guys and the relative biases in the way they cut stubs/italics, and I was grateful to see it, because I'd had exactly the same experience as that poster. Anyhow, I'm veering off topic...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BinaryRun

• Houston

• Bo Bo Olson

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BinaryRun: I read in your last reply to me (above) -- in which you go into detail about your interest in a Carene -- two ideas about which I'd counsel some caution. If I misread your post and neither of the below are accurate understandings of your thoughts, I apologise in advance.

The first thing you seemed to imply is that gold nibs will generally have some softness to them. This isn't the case. There are many modern gold nibs with absolutely zero "give". They are hard as nails. Pelikan 800s are a classic example. Waterman Exception likewise. And many, many others. Nails. I don't know the Carene, but if it's got a firm nib, it's unlikely to offer any line variation unless it is cut/ground to be a stub, oblique or similar.

The second thing I read into your note was the idea that you can later have a gold nib modified to add flex. This is sometimes true. It's also sometimes not -- in that some nibs are more suitable for a flex modification than others. There are a lot of modern gold nails I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to turn into even a semi-flex nib. Even for firm gold nibs that can be modified to add flex, those are very sophisticated mods, and there are very few folks I would trust to do the work. Already mentioned in this column are a couple of them (ie, John and Greg). There are a handful of others. Not all that many people can do great nib grinds. Even fewer can do the very precise metalwork required to modify a firm gold nail into a flex.

As I say, if you didn't mean to imply either of those things, I apologise for incorrectly inferring them.

Happy flexing. --h

Thank you very much for the caution there, I actually just ranto into that realization myself that gold doesn't even necessarily mean some line variation. Particularly inlaid nips are allegedly very stiff, so I can take that pen off my potential list.

Houston, if you have to recommend me a pen that is slightly on the heavier side like the Waterman Converter that is about 33 grams capped and 23 grams uncapped, that is a smooth and relatively wet writer and that can over some line variation, but that doesn't have a full flex nib. (Like the Pilot Custom 912, because like someone mentioned, such flex is difficult to control and with my limited skills it has been very painful for my hand.) With those factors in mind, what modern pen that I could buy new from a retailer would you personally recommend as a fellow leftie?

Titanium nibs are soft - not flex, and will give some slight line variation while writing normally. More if asked but don't push. You can put this nib on the pen of you choice that accepts standard #6 nibs.

Pablo at FPNibs (Spain) can grind you a Jowo 14k semiflex to fit your choice of pen, as above.

Add lightness and simplicate.

The first thing you seemed to imply is that gold nibs will generally have some softness to them. This isn't the case. There are many modern gold nibs with absolutely zero "give". They are hard as nails. Pelikan 800s are a classic example. Waterman Exception likewise. And many, many others. Nails. I don't know the Carene, but if it's got a firm nib, it's unlikely to offer any line variation unless it is cut/ground to be a stub, oblique or similar.

The second thing I read into your note was the idea that you can later have a gold nib modified to add flex. This is sometimes true. It's also sometimes not -- in that some nibs are more suitable for a flex modification than others. There are a lot of modern gold nails I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to turn into even a semi-flex nib. Even for firm gold nibs that can be modified to add flex, those are very sophisticated mods, and there are very few folks I would trust to do the work. Already mentioned in this column are a couple of them (ie, John and Greg). There are a handful of others. Not all that many people can do great nib grinds. Even fewer can do the very precise metalwork required to modify a firm gold nail into a flex.

And what I suspect is the worst of the set -- trying to modify an inlaid nib! That likely requires being able to pull the nib out of the section and later replacing it. The Carene might be a possible, but I sure wouldn't think it can be done with a Sheaffer (when I look at mine, it is almost like the nib was melted into the plastic; or nib was in a shaped mold and the plastic then injected). Also, if making a generic nib "flex" involves work like modifying the Ahab -- the shoulder cuts would be right where the nib meets the section; there are no wings to be cut back. The slit would also have to be extended right up into the inlay.

For the OP -- gold is a soft metal, but it is not springy. Spring depends upon what metal(s) have been added to the mix. A 14K nib probably has more spring than an 18K nib, as half of the metal could be something like steel.

Thank you very much for the caution there, I actually just ranto into that realization myself that gold doesn't even necessarily mean some line variation. Particularly inlaid nips are allegedly very stiff, so I can take that pen off my potential list.

Houston, if you have to recommend me a pen that is slightly on the heavier side like the Waterman Converter that is about 33 grams capped and 23 grams uncapped, that is a smooth and relatively wet writer and that can over some line variation, but that doesn't have a full flex nib. (Like the Pilot Custom 912, because like someone mentioned, such flex is difficult to control and with my limited skills it has been very painful for my hand.) With those factors in mind, what modern pen that I could buy new from a retailer would you personally recommend as a fellow leftie?

Hi, there: I recommend you just click on over to the Goulet Pens site, and filter on pen weight. Once on the site, go to Fountain Pens > All Fountain Pens. On the left side of the page, there are filters. Scroll down, and you'll see a filter for "Overall Weight Range". There are 101 results for pens in the range between 30-39g, capped. You can also filter further on nib material. There isn't a filter for flex, as far as I know, but if you select a few models you like in that weight range, you can send Goulet an email asking which, if any, are flexy. Goulet customer service is very good and knowledgeable. --h

I have narrow and cramped handwriting, and love line variation. I've noticed that when I use stubs, I turn the pen to the left, and I slant my writing to the right. You might do better to use an architect nib, instead of a normal stub. Architect nibs are like stubs, only rotated ninety degrees. Stubs write broad verticals and narrow horizontals if the pen is vertical. Architect nibs are the converse, writing narrow verticals and broad horizontals. If you slant to the right, as I do, and turn your left hand to the opposite angle that I turn my right, it ought to help you have your verticals be a bit more narrow and thus, you're a bit less likely to close the narrow loops.

Thanks everyone for the great tips. Although I'm now not looking for flex anymore (little bit of line variation at most), I will be going to the Tilburg pen show tomorrow, looking to buy a great fitting pen for me for 250 usd max. Does anyone have any vintage recommendations for me? Yes, you guys got my convinced that vintage will be better for me. :)

Preferable a pen with a filling system that can handle switching inks often. I'm thinking about a Parker Vacumatic as I just saw those and they look gorgeous.

Edit: Found a very pretty one from 1935 with the lockdown mechanism in Burgondy. Very happy with it.

Edited by BinaryRun

Well, if you still want a little bit of line variation, you're still going to need either semi-flex or a stub/italic. That will narrow your options considerably. When talking with dealers at the pen show, just tell them you're looking for something either semi-flex or with a stub nib, and they'll show you what they've got. Who knows: You might find a Vac with a stub. And, yes, they are mighty pretty.

Pilot have wavery (turned up nib) nib for those who like to push. Would this help!

Vintage Shaeffer also known for execellent smooth and turned up nib. Try a triumph nib. If you are lucky you mighy find one with flex.

Flex is dependent on pressure...use padding when you write, you can achieve shading with a graphite, biro, and a nail faountain pen. It is a matter of practice.

G. Luck!

I found a very pretty Parker Vacumatic from 1937. (Still working on finding out which exact model it is.) It isn't a true flex obviously, but it has quite a fine point and I was able to get up to 3x line variation without feeling like I was going beyond or even at the edge of the nibs limits, so I'm happy with that.

The seller actually showed me how a real vintage flex pen works when he saw my trying the line variation and that was insane. I didn't inquire about what pen he was using, but he was going from fine to double or triple-broad and that just blew me away. That isn't something I'd dare to touch myself, but it was very impressive.

Edit: It is a Burgondy Slender from 1937 with the original lockdown mechanism, made in Canada. The nib doesn't have a size imprinted, but it says 14k, Parker Vacumatic, Reg.T.M., Made In. And the rest is hidding below the grib section. It has the original arrow logo, so it hasn't been swapped with a Parker nib from England, as some others on the show. The nib does have some parts where the gold color has some off, but I don't mind. It gives it some character.

Edited by BinaryRun

Well, if you still want a little bit of line variation, you're still going to need either semi-flex or a stub/italic. That will narrow your options considerably. When talking with dealers at the pen show, just tell them you're looking for something either semi-flex or with a stub nib, and they'll show you what they've got. Who knows: You might find a Vac with a stub. And, yes, they are mighty pretty.

I just really wanted to share you this awesomeness. Just finished cleaning the pen and inking it up. This is way more amazing then what I was hoping for. Now I'm hooked! Exactly what I wanted from a pen, with a nib that feels sturdy, yet performing exactly what I'm asking for it without hesitation or flow problems.

post-145366-0-99078900-1538301305_thumb.png

post-145366-0-66282100-1538301316_thumb.png

Fantastic. You did it! I'd be willing to be a lot that that won't be your last pen show.

You've paired it with a lovely shading ink, too. Noodler's apache sunset, perhaps?

The Parkers don't often have flow problems, so I'm not surprised you're getting good ink to the page. Super.

In time, you may or may not need to get the vacumatic filler serviced. But that's easily enough done. Plenty of folks still know that dark art.

So happy for you that you found what you were hoping for. Enjoy it!

--h

Good that you found the pen of your choice. Parker Vacumatics are beautiful pens. But be warned you would buy more. I am on a Vacumatic restoration spree. Have restored 7 during the last few days including one like yours - a burgundy Slender lockdown filler with extra extra flexiable (and at the same time double broad stub) nib.

Khan M. Ilyas

Fantastic. You did it! I'd be willing to be a lot that that won't be your last pen show.

You've paired it with a lovely shading ink, too. Noodler's apache sunset, perhaps?

The Parkers don't often have flow problems, so I'm not surprised you're getting good ink to the page. Super.

In time, you may or may not need to get the vacumatic filler serviced. But that's easily enough done. Plenty of folks still know that dark art.

So happy for you that you found what you were hoping for. Enjoy it!

--h

You guessed it almost right. It is Noodler's Habanero, Apache's darker prettier cousin. I think eventual servicing is needed with any fountain pen, just like anything that is going to be used for more then 5 years really. But I don't mind, I'm just really glad I found it.

It will likely not be my last pen show indeed, I hope that any next one will be less geared towards high end collectors, but I'm sure I'll have a great time.

Good that you found the pen of your choice. Parker Vacumatics are beautiful pens. But be warned you would buy more. I am on a Vacumatic restoration spree. Have restored 7 during the last few days including one like yours - a burgundy Slender lockdown filler with extra extra flexiable (and at the same time double broad stub) nib.

I saw one or those of the largest Parker vacumatics as well, very pretty pens. But I have made myself promise that my next pen will have to be a different model. Parker or not. For variation and experience sake. Although that is for another time. (I must admit that I'm a bit weary of pens with an ink sac. Those seems difficult to clean)

Also don't tell me about all your vacumatics, before I try to buy one from you. :P

One day. ;)

I probably won't be able to go to other pen events, as we only have one a year in the NL and other countries are simply too far to travel without having a car and other obligations. But we have eBay and the FPN marketplace, so yeah... I have to be careful.