Conway Stewart Dinkie Photo Thread

PenHero

Here are a couple of much later versions that I picked up recently (not together). I have a weakness for the luminas. 

I was surprised by how nice the nib on this one was - previous versions of this one have been a bit firm and scratchy for my taste, but this one is as soft and smooth as my early ones.

large.dinkies.jpg.2fb419c286c9fcc48edfce54c5d6d0ba.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• PaulS

• donnweinberg

• tifh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 years later...

Just acquired this Conway Stewart Fountain pen. Seems to be a rare find. No.575M with 14CT nib. Has the name Harold Mc Kay engraved upon it. I have looked on a few lists for Dinkie pens and the closest is a No.575L Thanks for looking. 

IMG_0654.jpeg

IMG_0658.jpeg

IMG_0662.jpeg

Firstly, the 575 is not a Dinkie, it is significantly larger, closer in size to a Dandy.

The M suffix in CS terms normally implies it is made in mottled vulcanite, but this is clearly not the case here. There is some evidence that the 575 models were assembled elsewhere, probably in Canada, from components supplied by CS from London. and this pen tends to back up that theory. The more common 575L model is a ringtop, and there have been theories that the L suffix is derived from Lanyard or Ladies. If the latter is correct, a 575M in this case could imply a Man's pen, which is consistent with the pen having a cap with a clip. A 575M is certainly rarer than a 575L.

• 2 months later...

Today, at the BWI Pen Show, I purchased from Paul Erano these 5 Conway Stewart Dinkie fountain pens, each from the 1990s.  Each can be filled with a stubby International Standard cartridge, and each has a 14K gold nib.  Here are photos:

Dinkie-5penscapped01.thumb.jpeg.679d2883e4ce375efd0f1546930048de.jpeg

Dinkie-5pensuncapped01.thumb.jpeg.9c00b285c9ff1638815ec01092d617ee.jpeg

The purplish one has a missing finial jewel.  Otherwise all five are in excellent condition.

Dinkie-5penscloseupoffinials01.thumb.jpeg.619733eea8fb03ee0dc4fd921b7978fa.jpeg

Dinkie-5penscloseupofbarrelbottom01.thumb.jpeg.e06dd552c239bd35e0e62fd30a6470cb.jpeg

I paid a total of $1,225 for all five, as they are highly uncommon to find, it seems.

Dinkie - 5 pens uncapped showing inscriptions.jpeg

Edited by donnweinberg
Eliminated extra space between two sentences that has been accidentally inserted.

I just inked-up the purple one shown above.  I put in a Diamine Emerald cartridge.  Wow!  Smooth writer, and it looks like the nib width is medium.

• 4 months later...

I got this Dinkie Lavender, a 1992 release of the older version, during a recent trip to Madrid. 

Lovely piece made with casein! Also, it has an ebonite feed which makes it quite a wet juicy writer.

It’s such a beauty!

85a1899f-92e9-4813-902c-d8c3b933998f.jpeg

219b08c1-a003-4d9c-b0c5-8f41a3e9c6c2.jpeg

Congratulations.  It is a very nice little pen.

CS #550 set in the original box. You all would know more than I about the year and flavor it is. It needs a new sac but so far the apprehension of working on such a small pen has kept me from pulling the section....

20240710_131600.jpg

Your set is a No. 20 set, and it can be dated quite accurately to 1954/55 from the style of the box and the clip on the pen. In 1954, it would have originally sold for 23s 6d (about £1.30 in today's UK currency). The No. 20 sets were first marketed in the early 1920s, always featuring a mounted Dinkie pen and associated pencil, though the actual model numbers of the contents changed through the years.

If you can get hold of a copy of my book 50 Years of the Dinkie, you'll find some useful pages with hints on caring for casein pens and repair of Dinkies of all eras.

https://www.englishpenbooks.co.uk/home/50-years-of-the-dinkie/

Don,

Congratulations on your Conway Stewart Donnie haul, they look superb, love CS pens from the second golden age of Conway Stewart. Know you will love using these pocket rockets! 

21 hours ago, Boston Brian said:

Don,

Congratulations on your Conway Stewart Donnie haul, they look superb, love CS pens from the second golden age of Conway Stewart. Know you will love using these pocket rockets! 

Thanks, Brian.  I used one of them already, and it is a smooth, springy writer.