Vintage Conway Stewart Addiction

mikey_abz

Think I have just caught the vintage pen bug :( and my wife isn’t happy ha

While bored at work (offshore oil installation) I have bought 3x Vintage Conway Stewart & 1x Parker pens on eBay:

1. Conway Stewart No 58 Green Herringbone
  2. Conway Stewart No 84 Green & Gold (Cracked Ice/Marble)
  3. Conway Stewart No 15 Green Marble
  4. Parker Vacumatic Blue (Canadian)

I really like the vintage CS designs and the top pen is really nice, which other ones are worthy of note?

Mike :D

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mikey_abz

• da vinci

• northlodge

• mallymal1

Think I have just caught the vintage pen bug :( and my wife isn’t happy ha

I really like the vintage CS designs and the top pen is really nice, which other ones are worthy of note?

Mike :D

"They are an investment for our future, they will increase by more than the 1% p.a.the bank will offer" is a tried and tested approach

As for models

The CS24/27/28/60 are all worthwhile chasing,

The CS85L is good, as is the 73/93 models

The CS100 is a big pen, and available in black.

going backwards in time

The CS475 / 479 come in a nice range of colours

Was looking at the CS24 pens liked the look of those also. I can see this being a slippery slope 😂

Was looking at the CS24 pens liked the look of those also. I can see this being a slippery slope 😂

Mike

That sounds like a fantastic haul, and a nice set of pens. Would be great to see photos, and hear how they write in due course. Will they need any TLC (sacs?) when you get them?

I don’t know much about vintage CS but have been admiring the larger size 58’s recently particularly those with a ‘Duro’ Nib...

Cheers!

Mike

That sounds like a fantastic haul, and a nice set of pens. Would be great to see photos, and hear how they write in due course. Will they need any TLC (sacs?) when you get them?

I don’t know much about vintage CS but have been admiring the larger size 58’s recently particularly those with a ‘Duro’ Nib...

Cheers!

I will take some photographs and writing samples when I get home from work on Wednesday (Helicopter/Fog/Wx permitting) - gives me something to look forward to :)

I think 3 of them will need some very minor work sacks/polish (not the CS15), I will see what the situation is when I go home - thats the chance you take with online auctions I guess.

The Parker Vac. has a bent L.H tine so will try get a replacement nib or repaired if possible.

Mike

Well that is me home, and only 1 of the 3 pens I have yet received was correctly described.

1.Conway Stewart No 58 Green Herringbone as expected and is very nice (has not any internals just small fragments of brittle black plastic - did say needed internals, hopefully not to difficult to get)

2.Conway Stewart No 84 Green & Gold (Cracked Ice/Marble) sprung nib! - keeping it now.

3.Conway Stewart No 15 Green Marble - Noticeable Crack in cap - getting returned

hopefully the Parker Vac is as described :o

Mike

Edited by mikey_abz

Conway Stewart 58.

CS58_no2.jpg
CS58.jpg

Edited by mikey_abz

Very nice pen. Congratulations.

Sorry for the disappointment(s) - but that can be often be the case with vintage pens and over zealous sellers!

(The 84 nib doesn't look to be sprung, in your photo - or have you fixed it already?)

Enjoy.

Very nice pen. Congratulations.

Sorry for the disappointment(s) - but that can be often be the case with vintage pens and over zealous sellers!

(The 84 nib doesn't look to be sprung, in your photo - or have you fixed it already?)

Enjoy.

Thanks, if I took a side on image you would see it more clearly.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing these pix. Vintage Conway-Stewarts were my first love on this journey. Isn't that clip just one of the nicest ever?

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Thanks for sharing these pix. Vintage Conway-Stewarts were my first love on this journey. Isn't that clip just one of the nicest ever?

Exactly, I love their elegant designs. I'm waiting for the two green ones (CS58 & CS84) to come back from being restored cant wait :)

I was going to buy a new MB149 over the CS100 I'm glad I didn't bother in the end, will buy a CS24 ideally in cracked ice next (if I find one) with the difference in cash I saved :o

Beautiful! I got lucky one day at Dromgoole's in Houston. Larry Dromgoole ahd just gotten some pens from an estate sale and among them was a C-S Wordsworth LE(38/75) with a n 18K F nib!! I had to make it mine and now it is. I researches and I think they were made about 1989-90?

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz