Pineider - La Grande Bellezza

Ghost Plane

Damn, this topic is making it really hard not to order one...
Been thinking about the Rodolite Red with an EF or F nib.

Does anyone have both the F and EF nibs and could post a comparison?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• ArchiMark

• TheDutchGuy

• DasKaltblut

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn, this topic is making it really hard not to order one...

Been thinking about the Rodolite Red with an EF or F nib.

Does anyone have both the F and EF nibs and could post a comparison?

I know... I've been there... This topic made me go out to try these pens several times. If you're going for the stub, get the Pineider. But if you're going for F or EF, you and your wallet deserve a chance to try the Leonardo Furore and/or Momento Zero first. They're just as well made, just as bouncy, at half the cost...

I know... I've been there... This topic made me go out to try these pens several times. If you're going for the stub, get the Pineider. But if you're going for F or EF, you and your wallet deserve a chance to try the Leonardo Furore and/or Momento Zero first. They're just as well made, just as bouncy, at half the cost...

Thanks for the suggestion. Just took a look at those two pens but I must say that I don't really like the looks of them. They are simply too plain for me, not really that interesting (in terms of appearance).

I have been watching this pen for a while too.

I went into a department store in downtown Milano that sells fashion, but has a nice underground floor with leather goods, design objects and pens/stationery, to take a look at it just before Christmas, as they have a nice Pineider corner.

The 399 Euro tag put me off though...

After the Xmas expenses are over (one pen only under the tree but quite a nice one), I came back looking at it.

Bryant's sale is too good to let go, and he still has stubs in stock.

I've just ordered mine today. It's my birthday! :D

Happy Birthday! I have a "Fine" nib and I have enjoyed it a lot. Very juicy nib, it is very much like the Visconti (for obvious reasons).

Erick

Using right now:

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Sailor Cylint "M" nib running J. Herbin Caroube de Chipre

Gioia Alleria "F" nib running Colorverse CAT Glistening

Montegrappa Elmo 02 "F" nib running Ferris Wheel Misguided Mistletoe

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this pen in "Malachite, fine" as a birthday present.

I have to admit, I love the nib.

However, one thing that's been bothering me is that when it's posted, the cap just keeps swivelling around.

Is this something that others have also noticed, or is it just my pen?

I also have the honeycomb, and the magnet on that one is strong enough to keep the cap steady while writing...

O.K. . . . O.K. U-N-C-L-E! You can now stop pulling my arm!

I did it! I finally "pulled the trigger". I just ordered a Pineider Keys of Heaven. No it isn't the La Grande Bellezza, but I really liked the looks of it and I got it at a great price. When it comes, I know I will have to do a full review. This is the most expensive pen I have ever bought and I have high hopes. Also, I did order it from a very reputable pen shop with excellent customer service. It should be here next week sometime, I hope.

Edited by DrPenfection

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. . . . O.K. U-N-C-L-E! You can now stop pulling my arm!

I did it! I finally "pulled the trigger". I just ordered a Pineider Keys of Heaven. No it isn't the La Grande Bellezza, but I really liked the looks of it and I got it at a great price. When it comes, I know I will have to do a full review. This is the most expensive pen I have ever bought and I have high hopes. Also, I did order it from a very reputable pen shop with excellent customer service. It should be here next week sometime, I hope.

I am so, so, so broken hearted tonight. I received my Keys of Heaven last week. After a couple of flushes with lukewarm water, I inked the pen with my old standby, Waterman Serenity Blue. I quickly noticed the intermittent hard starts and skipping. I finished the cartridge, then flushed again, this time with a drop of dishwashing liquid and rinsed thoroughly. I filled the pen with Pilot Iro. Kon-Peki. Same thing. I looked at the nib under magnification and noticed that the tines were slightly out of alignment and it appeared that the tines were starving the ink. Because this was a brand new pen under warranty, I decided not to mess with it. I notified the retailer who was so kind to take the pen back for a full refund. This is an A+ retailer! Anyway, I boxed the pen back up and sent it back. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Let me add that the nib on the Keys of Heaven is not the same nib on La Grande Bellezza. Keys of Heaven had a beautifully engraved 14K nib, but was not the quill nib on the Gemstone collection.

Edited by DrPenfection

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Yes, the limited edition ones are not the same...

Although it is a very good nib, its not what we are talking about here...

I would definitely encourage you to try one of the gemstones lol

Typical problem of a Bock nib. If they are adjusted, they work well. But it would seem that adjustments are just not in Dante’s vocabulary. I had to adjust my pen too.

Investing emotionally in pens that come from Dante feels like you’re dating a very flaky person. It might just write like a dream, or it might leave you sorely disappointed.

I am so, so, so broken hearted tonight. I received my Keys of Heaven last week. After a couple of flushes with lukewarm water, I inked the pen with my old standby, Waterman Serenity Blue. I quickly noticed the intermittent hard starts and skipping. I finished the cartridge, then flushed again, this time with a drop of dishwashing liquid and rinsed thoroughly. I filled the pen with Pilot Iro. Kon-Peki. Same thing. I looked at the nib under magnification and noticed that the tines were slightly out of alignment and it appeared that the tines were starving the ink. Because this was a brand new pen under warranty, I decided not to mess with it. I notified the retailer who was so kind to take the pen back for a full refund. This is an A+ retailer! Anyway, I boxed the pen back up and sent it back. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Let me add that the nib on the Keys of Heaven is not the same nib on La Grande Bellezza. Keys of Heaven had a beautifully engraved 14K nib, but was not the quill nib on the Gemstone collection.

Took a look at them locally the other day - the green didn't impress. The red was nice, as was the blue.

Ended up ordering an Arco, as it looked even better than the red (even though its a fake arco, being acrylic).

• 1 year later...

Wanted to share a word of warning with you all when cleaning these pens.

The ink I last used with my red rodolite became rather crusty and gunky in the nib--as they tend to do. It wouldn't completely flush out, so I let the nib/section soak for a couple of hours. As a result, the plastic piece at the edge of the metal of the section lifted off and warped. The magnet closure also stopped working as I had come to expect it to; rather than snapping into place, it became kind of mushy. After the nib dried, I closed the pen and left it for a few weeks trying to decide what to do with it. I considered sending it in for repair, but when I checked the pen again there appeared to be some sort of corrosion/rusting happening inside the cap. I tried to clean that, and a plastic ring fell out. I had cleaned out some minor ink deposits in the cap before storing it away, so I'm not sure what happened there. Anyway, it seems the pen body is a lost cause, so I managed to salvage the nib.

I wasn't able to unscrew mine, but it did pull out rather easily. I've installed it in a Jinhao--a rather humble pen for such a lovely nib, but the weight and girth is very comfortable and lovely with the F quill nib.

So, a somewhat happy ending to a harrowing story. But I wanted to share you should be very careful if your nib needs a soak. Unscrew or pull it from the section to clean; DO NOT soak it with the section.

Sorry to hear of your situation, Portia.....very unfortunate.

What ink did you use? Sounds like a heavy, saturated ink.....

If that ever happens again in a pen, you might want to either fill and flush pen with water a few times, then use a pen cleaner like JB to fill and flush one time, then another time or two with water. Other option is put a drop of ammonia (or a drop of mild liquid soap) in a cup of water and then fill and flush.

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Wow! That should not have happened! Was the pen still under warranty?

Erick

Using right now:

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Sailor Cylint "M" nib running J. Herbin Caroube de Chipre

Gioia Alleria "F" nib running Colorverse CAT Glistening

Montegrappa Elmo 02 "F" nib running Ferris Wheel Misguided Mistletoe

Sorry to hear of your situation, Portia.....very unfortunate.

What ink did you use? Sounds like a heavy, saturated ink.....

If that ever happens again in a pen, you might want to either fill and flush pen with water a few times, then use a pen cleaner like JB to fill and flush one time, then another time or two with water. Other option is put a drop of ammonia (or a drop of mild liquid soap) in a cup of water and then fill and flush.

Thanks! I think it was Diamine Ancient Copper, which I've been using for years and have never had a reaction like this. And I did flush several times with water and a mild liquid soap. I didn't try ammonia. But, I've also never had a problem soaking a nib for a bit. So, I really can't explain what happened here.

Wow! That should not have happened! Was the pen still under warranty?

Erick

Hi Erick. It probably is still under warranty, but I'm kind of cutting my losses here. This pen has been very problematic for me. I already had it replaced once because the cap broke. I'd rather not deal with the headache of sending it in and then finding out it's going to cost me something for it to be repaired. As long as I get to keep using the wonderful quill nib, I'm a happy girl.

I should note, I also have a Tiger Eye Bellezza and a Carbon Mystery filler that are both perfect and I adore.

Edited by Portia of Belmont

Thanks! I think it was Diamine Ancient Copper, which I've been using for years and have never had a reaction like this. And I did flush several times with water and a mild liquid soap. I didn't try ammonia. But, I've also never had a problem soaking a nib for a bit. So, I really can't explain what happened here.

Hi Erick. It probably is still under warranty, but I'm kind of cutting my losses here. This pen has been very problematic for me. I already had it replaced once because the cap broke. I'd rather not deal with the headache of sending it in and then finding out it's going to cost me something for it to be repaired. As long as I get to keep using the wonderful quill nib, I'm a happy girl.

I should note, I also have a Tiger Eye Bellezza and a Carbon Mystery filler that are both perfect and I adore.

From reading other's comments at FPN, it sounds like what you experienced with Ancient Copper and nib crud is typical.

Understand your concern about sending pen in, but in future, I suggest taking a few photos of pen and then emailing them to whomever you purchased pen from and asking their advice and about whether repairs are covered or not. That way you don't have to send pen in to find out.

Hopefully, things will continue to go well with your pens!

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy