Info On A Vintage Pilot

alfredop

Recently I have found the vintage Pilot shown in the following photos. Any idea about the model name and the production time?

XubEEju.jpg

5eSShZK.jpg

q9Qpqbx.jpg

Alfredo

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alfredop

• Arstook

• Seiryuu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interestingly, the nib has a heart shaped breather hole found in a lot of pre-war and wartime fountain pens, makers such as Parker, Sheaffer, Pelikan, and Eversharp.

Is the nib gold? There's a very interesting article by Richard Binder on WWII and the fountain pen (http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/history/wwii_effects.htm) which notes that gold was red flagged as a critical war resource by Japan in 1938. As a result fountain pen makers in the country resorted to making pen nibs with steel until well after the war. The Japanese war industry and rationing began much earlier than in the European theater due to its invasion of Manchuria in 1931 and invasion of China in 1937.

Edited by Arstook

Recently I have found the vintage Pilot shown in the following photos. Any idea about the model name and the production time?

XubEEju.jpg

5eSShZK.jpg

q9Qpqbx.jpg

Alfredo

Ah, I think I found out what the pen is. According to this website, it is a 1950s lever filler fountain pen. "When collectors buy a Pilot fountain pen from the 1950s, they will have a device with a 14-karat gold nib. Also, the pen has the Pilot name embossed on the end as well as a gold clip and a bright gold band around the base."

http://vintagepencollectibles.com/Pilot_Pens.html

post-139272-0-37207400-1527123863.jpg

post-139272-0-14402500-1527123874.jpg

post-139272-0-74580000-1527123884.jpg

Edited by Arstook

Ah, I think I found out what the pen is. According to this website, it is a 1950s lever filler fountain pen. "When collectors buy a Pilot fountain pen from the 1950s, they will have a device with a 14-karat gold nib. Also, the pen has the Pilot name embossed on the end as well as a gold clip and a bright gold band around the base."

http://vintagepencollectibles.com/Pilot_Pens.html

1950s lever filler Pilot's have the MADE IN JAPAN mark under the nib size. Pre-war (and wartime, but you'll be hard pressed to find a 14k wartime nib) have it above. Pre 1930 they had a different engraving format from the one pictured here (they had several, but I'm unsure how to differentiate them).

Edited by Seiryuu