Parker 51 Vac Knock-Off

surprise123

As a big fan of the Parker 51, I find these pens both interesting and also a bit concerning. I find it interesting that Wing Sung has been able to so faithfully recreate the tubular nib and ink collector, as well as the vacumatic filling system, and put it in a very nominally priced pen. I recall reading once that the precise engineering tolerances (and related costs) of the original Parker 51 convinced Parker to use a much more conventional and simplified system when they created the Special Edition in the early 2000's. But since apparently caps are interchangeable, I worry that at some point Wing Sung pens with Parker caps may enter the market. I know that the other differences in the pens will not fool knowledgeable collectors, but for those new to the hobby it might be problematic.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• surprise123

• Mech-for-i

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a big fan of the Parker 51, I find these pens both interesting and also a bit concerning. I find it interesting that Wing Sung has been able to so faithfully recreate the tubular nib and ink collector, as well as the vacumatic filling system, and put it in a very nominally priced pen. I recall reading once that the precise engineering tolerances (and related costs) of the original Parker 51 convinced Parker to use a much more conventional and simplified system when they created the Special Edition in the early 2000's. But since apparently caps are interchangeable, I worry that at some point Wing Sung pens with Parker caps may enter the market. I know that the other differences in the pens will not fool knowledgeable collectors, but for those new to the hobby it might be problematic.

I think this is a valid concern. Just as the custom made Parker 51 demonstrators threatened to hoodwink new collectors and more experienced ones, so these pens might. Mine, with the ink window, should fool no one. If you could put a gold nib and a Parker 51 cap on one of these things, who knows?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 2 months later...

Actually, when have you seen a Parker 51 with an ink view window?

After using this pen for a while, I like it far better than a Parker 51 Vacumatic. I do prefer the Parker 51 Aerometric to either the Parker 51 Vacumatic or this Wing Sung pen. All my Aeros are still filling, all my Vacs are in need of new diaphragms.

The Wing Sung pen has a nice feel. It writes decently. I don't know about the internals or their durability. The Wing Sung Vacumatic is entertaining at modest cost.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

It appears that the filler rod unit has a hex head for removal with a hex wrench or a crescent wrench, instead of the threaded affair designed by Torquemada Parker for Parker's Vacumatic filler units.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at how well it writes. This could quickly become my EDC just so I'm only out $15 if I lose it or give it away...

Edited by flyingpenman

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

The diaphragm filler is smoother, the piston filler fills more quickly. Both pens are absolutely superb.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 8 months later...

Very impressive example of reverse engineering, I am very impressed.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Which inks are y'all using with these pens? I ordered a 2018 model from one of the recommended Chinese sellers on ebay, and hope to see it sooner rather than later.

Which inks are y'all using with these pens? I ordered a 2018 model from one of the recommended Chinese sellers on ebay, and hope to see it sooner rather than later.

I have Kon-Peki in one and Pelikan Olivine in the other. I also swapped the nib in the one to the 0.5-0.8 bent nib. It's much more my preferred line width now.

Have there been any newer versions? I think there was window vs. no window, and diaphram vs. piston. Any other considerations? Or stabilized?

Have there been any newer versions? I think there was window vs. no window, and diaphram vs. piston. Any other considerations? Or stabilized?

The current models are available in both with and without the window. There is a new double jewel one but it really isn't different then the others.

I hope you like it! I’ve used mine almost every day for over a year, and it has never had any problems. It’s a work pen: pleasant to use, absolutely reliable, and easily replaceable.

Yet another Sarah.

Of the inks I've tried in mine, Diamine Majestic Blue has made for the best writing experience by far. I've found that wetter or more saturated inks are a good fit for this pen.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>