Parker 51 Vac Knock-Off

surprise123

The extremely controversial Wing Sung 601. Ah, that pen has walked up to Parker and cheeked them without hesitation. With malice, if you would. In a few weeks, I will be going to my hometown in Hangzhou, China where fountain pen shops are abundant and extremely successful. Among their stock (a friend if mine checked it out) is the Wing Sung 601. And the updated version, too. Has anyone had any experience with this pen yet? And how does it hold up to its measly 15 dollars? Because I want to get this pen, crappy or not. Ebay has several listings, one of which has an option to opt out of the ink window. If the ink window is bad, then I will go for the windowless model. I also heard rumors of interchangeable caps and clutch rings?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• surprise123

• Mech-for-i

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've thought about getting one too. But I want the one with the double o-rings, not the rubber diaphragm. Is that the difference with the updated newer model?

I really shouldn't though...get one that is.

Edited by sirgilbert357

The extremely controversial Wing Sung 601. Ah, that pen has walked up to Parker and cheeked them without hesitation. With malice, if you would. In a few weeks, I will be going to my hometown in Hangzhou, China where fountain pen shops are abundant and extremely successful. Among their stock (a friend if mine checked it out) is the Wing Sung 601. And the updated version, too. Has anyone had any experience with this pen yet? And how does it hold up to its measly 15 dollars? Because I want to get this pen, crappy or not. Ebay has several listings, one of which has an option to opt out of the ink window. If the ink window is bad, then I will go for the windowless model. I also heard rumors of interchangeable caps and clutch rings?

Young man enjoy your trip............Read the following.....And been usin' said pen....goin' to be giving to folks.........Ain't no Parker "51".......

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/334630-wing-sung-601-a-real-vacumatic-modern-parker-51/

Take care,

Fred

.....Don't Mess With My Toot Toot................next cut Hello Dolly in Italiano by Lou Monte....................

I think knock-off is not the correct term, the Vacumatic as well as the P51 patent had long been off, and others had done this same filling time and time again, including German, Italian, Japanese, and other made from many part of the world. And Parker 51 hooded nib style was copied since the Parker 51 appearance even before the war. The 601 is a copy of their vintage 101 and by that it does almost hold every element straight and to the old one correct. I had several of their post Mar 25th batch and the New Year batch, all work fine and nicely done. I doubt , when P51 and vacumatic ( of all sorts ) from P both had long gone off production, can anyone really term that malice in a new model produced. If we are to be straight then really plenty of Edison, F.C. & others are knock off too. no less Montblanc would be knock off of Pelikan; and any C/C filler are knock off of the original Waterman CF. And I wonder about all the Eyedropper ... knock off of who .... !!!! I would certainly term the many Safari clone knock off alright, but not the 601, actually most Chinsese hooded nib pen of today or yester-years had only their styling and mechanism ( and only a portion ) from the 51, none of their parts interchange.

Te new version use a piston pump instead of a sac diaphragm ; and is now retail, they can be identified by a different cap jewel ( plastic instead of metal ).

Edited by Mech-for-i

That is good to know. I think I ordered the new piston pump version because the cap jewels aren't stainless steel. Also, if you look carefully, there are solid models without the ink window being sold on eBay. I think that adds more to the Parker-esque vintage style I am looking for. If I ordered the black version, and swapped caps, no one would be the wiser. Also, many photos I have seen clash with each other in that some have a breather tube, while others do not. Can someone clarify if the updated version contains a breather tube?

Mech-for-i, I'm sorry for using the term knockoff. But that's just what came to mind when I found this pen on eBay. In no way am I saying that this pen is horrible just because it is a close modern rendition of the 51. By the way, did you know that caps swap between the 51 and the 601?

I've thought about getting one too. But I want the one with the double o-rings, not the rubber diaphragm. Is that the difference with the updated newer model?

I really shouldn't though...get one that is.

Go to eBay and search up the 601, and look for a listing that says "UPDATED VERSION". It should ship from China. The newer piston pump version, as I heard, is much more efficient at filling and cleaning the pen because no ink is stuck up in the o-rings/diaphragm. However, from a youtube video I saw, it is still hard to clean. Just slightly easier than the classic Vacumatic version.

I got a 601 several months ago and I'm really loving it. It has the diaphragm and windows and is my every day writer. I've had absolutely no problems with it. I keep it filled with Lamy Black and the EF nib writes every time I need it. I heartily endorse this little pen

Generally there is 20 years protection for a particular design (note design, not patent). Once that 20 years has expired, then anybody can copy that design legally, which is why 20 years after the Lamy Safari was introduced, there was suddenly a rash of Safari-like pens on the market.

In addition there is trade mark protection (i.e. snowflake) which can be renewed and patent protection which generally can't.

Outside of those limits anyone can copy anything, and hopefully improve on it (make it better or make it cheaper).

In those cases, I call the new design a homage, rather than a knock-off.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Mech-for-i, I'm sorry for using the term knockoff. But that's just what came to mind when I found this pen on eBay. In no way am I saying that this pen is horrible just because it is a close modern rendition of the 51. By the way, did you know that caps swap between the 51 and the 601?

no need to say sorry I am not furious or something, just figure stereotyping anything is likely not a good idea, and credit where credit due ... and as far as the 601 cap goes, no it do not go onto the 51 , they are different in size, and the 601 , all models, always had a breather tube.

Edited by Mech-for-i

no need to say sorry I am not furious or something, just figure stereotyping anything is likely not a good idea, and credit where credit due ... and as far as the 601 cap goes, no it do not go onto the 51 , they are different in size, and the 601 , all models, always had a breather tube.

Are you sure you didn't confuse the 51 for the demi version? Because most videos on Youtube say that the caps are extremely similar in size and function, if not interchangeable.

Well, that I am not so sure, but yes I would say yes they are similar in size and certainly function but I doubt they would fit, the P51 cap had click notches that engage the clutch ring, where the Chinese pen just had leaf spring, and if my calipar is not trying to deceive me, then their diameter are not the same, though differs only very little ( roughly 0.2mm- or 0.1mm+ depends ) with the P51 the more slender one. So the 601 cap may or may not fit , I suppose it depend on the particular 51 one talks about. But I am fairly certain that Demi and Mk.III classic would be too slender for 601's cap

Edited by Mech-for-i

That factories in China felt there would be a demand for vacumatic fillers intrigues me.

When you think about it, after this and the clone of that Montblanc safety filler, a Myu 701 style Chinese pocket pen with integrated nib is not that far out of scope. They had the ability to make integrated nibs quite a while back, and not too badly either judging from my old Hero 849 and 850 models. Time will tell if the factories consider it viable, I guess.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I do not like the vacumatic filler on the original nor on imitation pens (the pen of a hundred filler pushes). Longevity of the sac on Parkers was poor. I seem to be resaccing them every few years with modern made diaphragms. I am going to buy one of these, because every collector needs collectibles. I wonder why they didn't make a C/C pen? Oh yeah, most of my C/C pens have drying up issues, hard starts.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Get one of the fake Hero 616s. They usually say Parker on them. Good copies and they often write better than the real Heros.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Fake fake pens? Fake Hero 616? You know those go for mere pennies (if they existed in chinese money) at night markets? I do all my re-saccing practice on those. Take a pair of pliers, crunch off the sac casing, and take off, clean, and reinstall sac. Easy as blueberry pie, the more you do it.

Well, I bought this junker: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Black-Writing-Vacumatic-0-5mm-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Nib-Wing-Sung-601-Silver-Cap-/392029303147?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=WucpkzV05QNFjnAzMY220igwRqE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It will be interesting to see how it is built. Vac pens are interesting curiosities. Back in the day it was the best that Parker could think of. Now people keep following that lead. I wonder if it feels good when you stop ramming your head into a brick wall. They write though. I will be interested to see how long the filling system works if I leave it filled and draw something with it each day to keep the nib moist. Using Sheaffer black, of course.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Contrary to what the pictures show I'm pretty sure you will receive the upgraded piston version. If it's got the plastic cap jewel, you'll know. Also a 5.5mm socket will remove the filler for a direct inspection (and cleaning). I've been extremely pleased with my piston version. I just had to do some minor nib tweaking.

Edited by Argee

Contrary to what the pictures show I'm pretty sure you will receive the upgraded piston version. If it's got the plastic cap jewel, you'll know. Also a 5.5mm socket will remove the filler for a direct inspection (and cleaning). I've been extremely pleased with my piston version. I just had to do some minor nib tweaking.

Rats. I only bought it because of the vac filler. I had planned to take it apart to see how they did it. Well, easy come, easy go. I have enough piston fillers.

Regardless of whether or not you end up with the diaphragm or the o-ring, it's still a unique filling system.

Get one of the fake Hero 616s. They usually say Parker on them. Good copies and they often write better than the real Heros.

:)

Khan M. Ilyas