Do You Store Your Inks In The Original Boxes Or Without It?

sdbruder

My inks, sans boxes, stay in drawers. I 'break down' (i. e. flatten) the boxes and put them in a storage container, where they don't take too much space. I have sold a few bottles of ink in the past, anticipate I will do the same in the future, and I think it helps to sell with the box. 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• A Smug Dill

• catbert

• Paul-in-SF

17 hours ago, Sybarite said:

Yep, for me, they have to be boxed.

like wines and perfumes, inks degrade in the light.

Actually, they do not.  I've put inks in direct sunlight for YEARS - most of the inks did great.  Iron Gall inks degraded, the others did not.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

4 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

I 'break down' (i. e. flatten) the boxes and put them in a storage container, where they don't take too much space.

I do that too, for most of the retail bottles of ink I acquire.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

14 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

That's why I keep mine in drawers, sans boxes. Here is one of the two drawerfuls I have next to my desk. 

I store my inks in a similar manner (is that Malm I am seeing right there?  Mine isn't a Malm, but it's still Ikea XD), but I keep mine in the boxes.  This is more because I like to keep things neat, I slap stickers with the name and color on the top of the boxes, and most of all, because when I store them in drawers, I try to hold to the theory of 20% free space so you can see what you have and keep it neatly organized.  It's a lot easier to do 20% free space / organization with squares than with couture bottle shapes!  They also fall over less when I open and close the drawers.

Diamine 30mL bottles are the bane of my ink storing existence in this regard.  :)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

43 minutes ago, Enkida said:

Diamine 30mL bottles are the bane of my ink storing existence in this regard.  :)

Try these on for size (literally!)…

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/328993-im-a-sad-pathetic-stationery-junkie/?do=findComment&comment=4360455

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/gallery/image/9439-opened-bottles-of-ink-with-no-place-in-my-desk-as-of-5feb2022/

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

15 hours ago, Enkida said:

(is that Malm I am seeing right there?

Yes, I got it for free via Nextdoor (the only good thing I ever got out of that), took off the wheels and put it on the table next to my desk. 2 drawers for ink, 2 larger drawers for repair and restoration tools and supplies, another drawer for various pen parts, sacs, diaphragms, pens to be repaired (which is now empty) and spare pen trays, and the 6th drawer for miscellaneous like PVC mailing tubes, pen kimonos and wraps, and assorted stuff. 

I don't have 20% free space in either of my ink drawers, which is why I'm trying not to buy more ink. There is also the fact that I already have more ink than I could use if I lived to be 100. If I had space available, it would be a blatant temptation to buy ink. 

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't planning to post pictures, but then, last night, for the Thai new year (Songkran), my wife gave me this cool, locally hand carved pen holder with battling rhinoceros beetles so ...

I store a few bottles of ink in this small Japanese cabinet on my desk. The feathers are just various ones I've found outside, around the house - they are not used for writing. The feathers are stuck into an abandoned Asian golden weaver nest (there's another to the side) from the trees at one of our rice farms.

ink_cab.thumb.jpeg.4ffbb1f9fa97a79e4720946b1f902d5f.jpeg

ink_cab_open.thumb.jpeg.8912fccb401a79c33ce7f70f507f0598.jpeg

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

On 4/10/2022 at 3:27 AM, HauntedMyst said:

Outside the box

image.thumb.jpeg.0cda4e88922865c6e05c86c28fef3830.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d8b830a8acf55a18242ae197e176a32b.jpeg

1 hour ago, PithyProlix said:

I wasn't planning to post pictures, but then, last night, for the Thai new year (Songkran), my wife gave me this cool, locally hand carved pen holder with battling rhinoceros beetles so ...

I store a few bottles of ink in this small Japanese cabinet on my desk. The feathers are just various ones I've found outside, around the house - they are not used for writing. The feathers are stuck into an abandoned Asian golden weaver nest (there's another to the side) from the trees at one of our rice farms.

ink_cab.thumb.jpeg.4ffbb1f9fa97a79e4720946b1f902d5f.jpeg

ink_cab_open.thumb.jpeg.8912fccb401a79c33ce7f70f507f0598.jpeg

These are spectacular!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I still have some of the original boxes floating around somewhere but haven't seen them since I last moved. I keep my ink in a cabinet above my desk where they are mostly out of direct sunlight. I keep the inks I'm currently using near the front on the bottom shelf so I can easily grab them when I need to refill a pen. BTW, my bottle of Pelikan BB 4001 is more than 20 years old and still going strong!

IMG_20220414_172842123.jpg

On 4/14/2022 at 5:49 PM, miwishi63 said:

I still have some of the original boxes floating around somewhere but haven't seen them since I last moved. I keep my ink in a cabinet above my desk where they are mostly out of direct sunlight. I keep the inks I'm currently using near the front on the bottom shelf so I can easily grab them when I need to refill a pen. BTW, my bottle of Pelikan BB 4001 is more than 20 years old and still going strong!

IMG_20220414_172842123.jpg

That looks amazing!

On 4/21/2022 at 6:16 PM, amberleadavis said:

That looks amazing!

Thanks! The desk was a gift from someone who was downsizing and no longer had room for it. I love that it has room for all my writing supplies and my computer setup.

I have a mix. I keep all my Iroshizuku inks in their boxes as they stack so well but others are naked bottles. As I scan my shelves I see some, like Monteverde inks, that I don't think even came in boxes.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams