Montblanc Le Petit Prince

horationelson

Now, seeing this new collection and being a huge fan of dark blue, it seems almost a no-brainer to get the "146". It looks special enough to not seem a copy of the 146 I already have. I especially like the nib and cap engraving, as well as the quote below the finial. I'm a bit skeptic about the metallic (?) piston knob in this case as well, but I can't wait to try it in the boutique.

Oh, and as far as I can tell from the official MB website, it is available with an M nib. Let's hope they'll make F as well.

When I tested the metallic piston knob I thought it was too loose and light for my liking, not as tight or hefty as my WE Saint-Exupery. But it may just have been the 2-3 "146" sized princes I tried.

That was part of the reason I went with the classic Solitaire Doue vs the LeGrand.

But just IMO. You will be able to make a better decision at the boutique.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• AndyLogan

• adim

• blottingpaperforlife

When I tested the metallic piston knob I thought it was too loose and light for my liking, not as tight or hefty as my WE Saint-Exupery. But it may just have been the 2-3 "146" sized princes I tried.

That was part of the reason I went with the classic Solitaire Doue vs the LeGrand.

But just IMO. You will be able to make a better decision at the boutique.

Thanks for the insight. I only have a 146 and a 149, which both feel extraordinarily well balanced and pleasant to write with. So I will be comparing both the Brahms and the Little Prince with them. I'm not a collector, but a user, so I will be writing a lot with all of them and thus ergonomics is extremely important. A back heavy pen is definitely not desirable.

The local (Romania) boutique said they'll have them in 10 days, so I'll definitely go and test.

I just came back from the local MB Boutique—they have all of the pens and the ink in stock. I really like the LeGrand 146 Resin — $900.00 USD. I will likely buy one.

I have not read the book so I bought a copy tonight.

The Little Prince is a lovely text. A few years ago I read it to a class of challenging grade-twelves. I expected eye-rolling and demonstrative yawning. None of this happened. The group dynamic was transformed by the shared experience of hearing and discussing Saint-Exupery.

The yellow star on the clip is a little unusual-looking, but it doesn't say "Communism" to me.

A five-pointed red star is the symbol of communism; red is Communism's symbolic color. The old USSR flag had a yellow outline around a red five-pointed star, next to a yellow hammer and sickle, with the rest of the flag red.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_star

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

The yellow star on the clip is a little unusual-looking, but it doesn't say "Communism" to me.

A five-pointed red star is the symbol of communism; red is Communism's symbolic color. The old USSR flag had a yellow outline around a red five-pointed star, next to a yellow hammer and sickle, with the rest of the flag red.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_star

fpn_1523060704__flag.jpg

~ There may be a Communist nation where yellow stars are popular.

A major market for Montblanc, no less...

Tom K.

I went to my reseller this afternoon to see the new pens unfortunately he hadn't yet received them, just one Doue last week already sold but I'm more interested in the Solitaire than the Doue that is smaller according to my reseller. He also shown me in an ad received from MB that a small model based on Mozart design and size is foreseen with a special packaging including a small notebook but I don't know what is the launch date about it.

As my reseller hasn't yet received the notebook too I just bought the ink Petit Prince Red Fox and these are my first tests writing with it with my Miles Davis 1926 with M nib:

27405874068_f8a79f0150_b.jpg

And here it is some citations of Le Petit Prince in French:

41234955382_56f6915ecd_b.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for posting. Looks more dark red / russet-coloured than the dark orange I was expecting. More reminiscent of the colour of a red squirrel than a fox?

I have a suspicion that someone at the Richemont group is huge fan of Saint-Exupery and the Little Prince, as there has been years of special version of IWC watches created in this line. I guess that person has moved to Montblanc, or oversees both now.

I went to my reseller this afternoon to see the new pens unfortunately he hadn't yet received them, just one Doue last week already sold but I'm more interested in the Solitaire than the Doue that is smaller according to my reseller. He also shown me in an ad received from MB that a small model based on Mozart design and size is foreseen with a special packaging including a small notebook but I don't know what is the launch date about it.

As my reseller hasn't yet received the notebook too I just bought the ink Petit Prince Red Fox and these are my first tests writing with it with my Miles Davis 1926 with M nib:

~ Cyrille:

Thank you for the handwriting samples.

It's especially nice to see your Miles Davis 1926 M writing so well.

That's a pen which is seldom shown as a writer.

The small model which your reseller mentioned, is that also based on Le Petit Prince, or is it another design?

Tom K.

~ Cyrille:

Thank you for the handwriting samples.

It's especially nice to see your Miles Davis 1926 M writing so well.

That's a pen which is seldom shown as a writer.

The small model which your reseller mentioned, is that also based on Le Petit Prince, or is it another design?

Tom K.

It is based on Le Petit Prince too. It is a Mozart size and the same blue color than the classique inside a special box decorated with Petit Prince drawing and with same blue of pens and inside there is also a little book or notebook. So it could be a good purchase for fan of Mozart size pen but I don't have more info about it.

It is based on Le Petit Prince too. It is a Mozart size and the same blue color than the classique inside a special box decorated with Petit Prince drawing and with same blue of pens and inside there is also a little book or notebook. So it could be a good purchase for fan of Mozart size pen but I don't have more info about it.

~ Cyrille:

As smaller fountain pens appeal to me, I appreciate knowing about this.

A blue such mini-Meisterstück is intriguing.

If it was later confirmed that a nib other than M or F could be installed, I might be very interested.

Thank you for explaining this. I'm glad that your reseller told you bout it.

Tom K.

More pics for you guys. It's actually very nice. IF only I liked the idea or the theme

fpn_1523120785__lppuncapped.jpg

fpn_1523120810__lppcap.jpg

fpn_1523120849__lppnib.jpg

Nice! Thanks for sharing pictures of the pens and inks.

Of course I went ahead and ordered the Red Fox & Swan ink on Friday during lunch break. When at home I told my friend and showed her the pictures.

Now guess what!

Today Ive ordered a full set of petit prince stuff (blue resin 146 fountain pen with EF nib, another ink bottle amd cartridges, the 146 petit prince theme notebook & and the bracelet) from Appelboom!

...and not for me, but for my friend :-)

Might get the same pen as well in the future.

Now we are looking for a matching pouch; most likely we will try the yellow Satorial sleeve to match the yellow star.

Expensive weekend, but worth it we hope ;-)

Cheers

Micharl

Edited by Michael R.

Of course I went ahead and ordered the Red Fox & Swan ink on Friday during lunch break. When at home I told my friend and showed her the pictures.

Now guess what!

Today Ive ordered a full set of petit prince stuff (blue resin 146 fountain pen with EF nib, another ink bottle amd cartridges, the 146 petit prince theme notebook & and the bracelet) from Appelboom!

...and not for me, but for my friend :-)

~ Michael R.:

Thank you for telling us about the comprehensive order for your friend.

When it arrives, if there's any opportunity to photograph it, it would be nice to see the various pieces together.

I hope that she'll enjoy everything after it arrives.

Tom K.

27405874068_f8a79f0150_b.jpg

And here it is some citations of Le Petit Prince in French:

41234955382_56f6915ecd_b.jpg

Hmmm if I'm not mistaken Cyrille, the ink looks red-orange. How does it compare to the shakespear ink?

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

I'm almost certain I'll buy the "146" version. I was in the market for one more MB and was eyeing the Brahms. Although I do like the overall design, I'm really not a fan of the nib engraving, with that generic dove for the Donation collection. Furthermore, I'm loving my gold 146 more and more, I love the feel and the balance it has, whereas I felt the Brahms a bit back-heavy, because of the metal piston knob.

Now, seeing this new collection and being a huge fan of dark blue, it seems almost a no-brainer to get the "146". It looks special enough to not seem a copy of the 146 I already have. I especially like the nib and cap engraving, as well as the quote below the finial. I'm a bit skeptic about the metallic (?) piston knob in this case as well, but I can't wait to try it in the boutique.

Oh, and as far as I can tell from the official MB website, it is available with an M nib. Let's hope they'll make F as well.

@Adim : Do let us know of your experience and I hope that it isn't heavy, that it will be good for long writing.

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

Montblanc had in mind 'other yellow stars' when designing this piece and they made sure this one is different (cartoonish).