Conklin Duraflex - First Impressions

Gloucesterman

Seems omniflex is misspelt on the box... might become a collector thing :)

Latest (and last) batch...new box that spells it correctly. Mine seems to be working fine. Not the softest of nibs, but not as stiff as an Ahab. Seems a little dry with little pressure, giving over to fairly wet the more I flex, so the ink flow is keeping up and no railroading. Apache Sunset looks great with this pen!

post-111397-0-79796500-1524861438_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Driften

• Dibutil

• Gloucesterman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not the softest of nibs, but not as stiff as an Ahab. Seems a little dry with little pressure, giving over to fairly wet the more I flex, so the ink flow is keeping up and no railroading.

That's good to hear. I was thinking of trying to get one from Goulet, but since they said they expect it to be offered on the regular Duragraphs I decided to take a risk and wait, hopefully I can get a green Duragraph with this nib at some point.

I got mine in this last batch. I know they said other Conklin pens will have the nib, but I'm a HUGE sucker for rose gold color. I've always liked it. I love that it's trendy now. I have zero shame in that.

Mine does not flow well. I tried like 3 inks in it this weekend and flushed/cleaned it before first use. The nib tines are a bit close, but that isn't the issue - it's very smooth at writing and flexes open appropriately.

The feed, as we mostly know, is suspect. The channel in the middle is super shallow and thin. I didn't get the loupe out, but it seems to even have to areas in the middle channel of the feed where one part is even shallower than the rest (and it's even and perfect looking by all means so doesn't seem to be a defect). I'll see it under the loupe tonight or whenever and then go for a plan from there. I'm leery cutting plastic as it's not very forgiving.

I've only cut on the Noodler's feeds and that was easy peasy. I did try to up a Noodler's feed in there, but the Ahab and pens using that feed are JUST too big and the feed from the Charlie or Creeper pens are way too small.

I got mine in this last batch. I know they said other Conklin pens will have the nib, but I'm a HUGE sucker for rose gold color. I've always liked it. I love that it's trendy now. I have zero shame in that.

Mine does not flow well. I tried like 3 inks in it this weekend and flushed/cleaned it before first use. The nib tines are a bit close, but that isn't the issue - it's very smooth at writing and flexes open appropriately.

The feed, as we mostly know, is suspect. The channel in the middle is super shallow and thin. I didn't get the loupe out, but it seems to even have to areas in the middle channel of the feed where one part is even shallower than the rest (and it's even and perfect looking by all means so doesn't seem to be a defect). I'll see it under the loupe tonight or whenever and then go for a plan from there. I'm leery cutting plastic as it's not very forgiving.

I've only cut on the Noodler's feeds and that was easy peasy. I did try to up a Noodler's feed in there, but the Ahab and pens using that feed are JUST too big and the feed from the Charlie or Creeper pens are way too small.

I realize it's an extra step and have you contacted Goulet about having them work on/adjust it for better flow? I found that sometime I get low flow qualities (railroading/no flow) and I can fix it (at least temporarily) by twisting the converter nob and loading more ink into the feed.

Also, have you 'run" a brass shim though the tines?

I really enjoy mine. I was able to get a second Duraflex pen however I am passing it on to a very good friend who was unable to get one from Goulet. I heard that they sold the second shipment out in 41 minutes!!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I received my Duraflex today. It's my third Duragraph (that's what this pen actually is), and I haven't liked the nib on any of them out of the box. I like the pens, though, so a swap with a better #6 nib did the trick on both of the others and I use both of them frequently now.

The Omniflex nib was a different sort of horrible as it arrived. It was a super hard starter, and I suspected Baby's Bottom. The loupe confirmed it, so I had to reshape the writing pad. Now that this is complete and it's polished again, it's a great writer. I can hold it lightly at the base, and it writes every time with just the weight of the pen. If you're comfortable doing this yourself, you may enjoy this pen. Otherwise, you'll likely be frustrated and hate it.

The other observation about the pen is that when I flush it with a bulb syringe, water shoots out of the top of the nib where it joins the section. I thought it just wasn't seated correctly, but after removing it and reseating it several times, it happens exactly the same. There's just not a great fit between the nib and section. My guess is that Conklin rushed these through production and didn't pay enough attention to detail. I believe the radius of the base of the flex nib is different from a standard #6, and they didn't quite get the fit right. Shame, but I'll get around to fixing that leak eventually. For now, it writes well enough.

Anyone else having these same problems?

Does the Conklin Omniflex nib look very similar to the Marlen Aleph nib?

If you take a look you'll notice that this has been discussed on the previous page of posts...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

If you take a look you'll notice that this has been discussed on the previous page of posts...

Thanks for pointing that out...I clearly missed that page...

Love your avatar...classic pose

Spoke with a friend who said he ordered a black nibbed Conklin Duraflex from Pen Chalet today. I was under the impression that Goulet had an exclusive for all 1898 of these pens. When I went to the Pen Chalet site and searched for Conklin Duraflex the response was "nothing found", or something similar.

Was I wrong about Goulet's exclusivity?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Spoke with a friend who said he ordered a black nibbed Conklin Duraflex from Pen Chalet today. I was under the impression that Goulet had an exclusive for all 1898 of these pens. When I went to the Pen Chalet site and searched for Conklin Duraflex the response was "nothing found", or something similar.

Was I wrong about Goulet's exclusivity?

Goulet's exclusive was only for a launch but not all 1898 of them. I did get an email from Pen Chalet advertising the Duraflex. I checked and they are out of them.

Goulet's exclusive was only for a launch but not all 1898 of them. I did get an email from Pen Chalet advertising the Duraflex. I checked and they are out of them.

Thanks for the updated information. I'm not sure it would have made a difference, timing-wise from Pen Chalet, and maybe I should sign up for their newsletter.

I wonder how many pens Goulet had and how many went elsewhere? Just curious.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the following flex or soft nibs that can spread and recover in the way usable for flex writing:

1. Platinum 3776 SF

2. Ensso Titanium F

3. 1945 IBIS with needlepoint Pelican nib

4. FPR Kanwrite Desire Flex (blued nib myself to improve the flow control)

5. Noodler's Ahab Flex (titanium overfeed made myself to decrease flow when spread)

6. Noodler's Neponset Music nib

7. Hero #unknown F (one of the best of my flexers!)

8. Platinum 5000 F

I also have Conklin Duraflex Limited Edition #00x which flexes from 0.6 mm to 1.2 mm and stays with open tines. At first I thought that the feed is pushing the tines upwards, and it did, indeed. After adjusting the feed though, the tines still spread and stay open. Apparently they bend like roof tile steel, no springiness at all! Not usable for any flex writing. I really do not know what to do with it now. I suppose the nib missed the heat treating. I may try quenching and tempering it myself. Hope it will not warp after that. By the way, the tines are not cut evenly, one is visually wider than another. I will have to grind it appropriately. I have not seen such badly made nib _ever_. What a waste of time and money...

I have the following flex or soft nibs that can spread and recover in the way usable for flex writing:

1. Platinum 3776 SF

2. Ensso Titanium F

3. 1945 IBIS with needlepoint Pelican nib

4. FPR Kanwrite Desire Flex (blued nib myself to improve the flow control)

5. Noodler's Ahab Flex (titanium overfeed made myself to decrease flow when spread)

6. Noodler's Neponset Music nib

7. Hero #unknown F (one of the best of my flexers!)

8. Platinum 5000 F

I also have Conklin Duraflex Limited Edition #00x which flexes from 0.6 mm to 1.2 mm and stays with open tines. At first I thought that the feed is pushing the tines upwards, and it did, indeed. After adjusting the feed though, the tines still spread and stay open. Apparently they bend like roof tile steel, no springiness at all! Not usable for any flex writing. I really do not know what to do with it now. I suppose the nib missed the heat treating. I may try quenching and tempering it myself. Hope it will not warp after that. By the way, the tines are not cut evenly, one is visually wider than another. I will have to grind it appropriately. I have not seen such badly made nib _ever_. What a waste of time and money...

If you bought from Goulet then they should be able to just send you a replacement nib unit for free, if your dealer does not offer that level of support you would need to contact Conklin/Yafa with the issue.

If you bought from Goulet then they should be able to just send you a replacement nib unit for free, if your dealer does not offer that level of support you would need to contact Conklin/Yafa with the issue.

I would think a bad nib would be the manufacturer's responsibility, not the retailer.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I would think a bad nib would be the manufacturer's responsibility, not the retailer.

Very true, but it does show how that one retailer is going beyond the call of duty to support their customers. When some people started having problems with the flex nib they got Yafa to send them a batch of replacement nibs. I would rather talk with Goulet then Yafa on a pen I just bought and had issues with.

Very true, but it does show how that one retailer is going beyond the call of duty to support their customers. When some people started having problems with the flex nib they got Yafa to send them a batch of replacement nibs. I would rather talk with Goulet then Yafa on a pen I just bought and had issues with.

One reason they might be willing to do that is how much they promoted the pen, ran it as an LE and sold out very quickly. They run the risk of bent-out-of-shape customers if they don't appear to care. That said, I imagine they expected a better quality product.

If someone like GP will take a pen back, contact the manufacturer/distributor for new parts, affect the necessary repairs and send it back to customer, more power to them. If they are also happy to act as the middle-man (middle-person?) in the transaction, also, more power to them.

The fact of the matter was that it was poor manufacturing on the part of the pen company. The retailer shouldn't be doing the heavy lifting.

Edited by JonSzanto

~ Benjamin Franklin

The fact of the matter was that it was poor manufacturing on the part of the pen company. The retailer shouldn't be doing the heavy lifting.

I agree Conklin's QC was in no way up to par, but Dibutil should be able to get it fixed and not have to try to fix the nib on their own. So the suggestion to talk with were they bought it or Yafa still stands as good advise.

I agree Conklin's QC was in no way up to par, but Dibutil should be able to get it fixed and not have to try to fix the nib on their own. So the suggestion to talk with were they bought it or Yafa still stands as good advise.

I have reached out to Conklin but they are ignoring my emails. I have no idea what to tell GP for that matter. If I send it back to GP for refund my postal and customs expenses will exceed the cost of the pen. I hate the idea of getting nothing for a full price. If Conklin does not reply in a week I will attempt thermo-treating the nib myself. If I fail, then screw it, such piece of (bleep) is not worth fighting.

I have reached out to Conklin but they are ignoring my emails. I have no idea what to tell GP for that matter. If I send it back to GP for refund my postal and customs expenses will exceed the cost of the pen. I hate the idea of getting nothing for a full price. If Conklin does not reply in a week I will attempt thermo-treating the nib myself. If I fail, then screw it, such piece of (bleep) is not worth fighting.

If you bought it from GP you will not have to send the pen back, they will send you a replacement screw in nib unit. They will give you a few things you can try first like pulling the nib and reseating it, but if it does not work and it did not work for me, they will send you a replacement nib unit. They sent me one for no charge.

If you bought it from GP you will not have to send the pen back, they will send you a replacement screw in nib unit. They will give you a few things you can try first like pulling the nib and reseating it, but if it does not work and it did not work for me, they will send you a replacement nib unit. They sent me one for no charge.

We shall see, thank you. In the meantime I am going to flex my new old Wing Sung 590 :)

I have reached out to Conklin but they are ignoring my emails.

That is just unforgivable, but I'm not surprised.

~ Benjamin Franklin