Do All Carene's Leak?

Shannon

Same for me: one Carène Deluxe (Prussian Blue), zero leaks.

If you want a non leaker get a PB. My bro has that very same pen and his does not leak either. We were both watching it on the bay and he purchased it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• JonSzanto

• senzen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what trend?

The leakers never provide further information or update us when questions are asked or suggestions are given.

Gah, this whole thread. Give me a break. Satirical.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Mine never leak. I can't imagine spending over a hundred dollars for a pen that leaks. Even one I put together from a barrel and cap bought as parts, and a medium stray section, never leaks.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have two Carenes. A marine amber and black sea with gold trim. Both are stubs and have never leaked and I use them everyday. I love 'em and will more than likely be getting another within the next couple of weeks (well either that or another Aurora Talentum).

I have two Carenes. A marine amber and black sea with gold trim. Both are stubs and have never leaked and I use them everyday. I love 'em and will more than likely be getting another within the next couple of weeks (well either that or another Aurora Talentum).

One can never have too many stubs.

I wonder how thick of a line would that thing lay down?

.1 MM, maybe I am being too stingy....

... .7MM at the most.

I think that's a reasonable guess.

One can never have too many stubs.

This man has had at least one too many stubs:

JK4783-001.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• 2 years later...

I am new to this site.  I have had my black Waterman Carene with silver appointments for a couple of years now and have had a problem with leaking since day one.  I have been using the converter (twist variety), but it appears to be faulty--liquid is apparent on what should be the "dry" side of the piston. (See photo below.)  I have fished the cartridge that came with the pen from the original box and will try this now.  I really love the feel and balance of this pen and am anxious to find a solution to the leaking problem!UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3e2d.thumb.jpg.56464f41e6ac963bde190683450981fa.jpg 

2 hours ago, GPN-ATL said:

I am new to this site.  I have had my black Waterman Carene with silver appointments for a couple of years now and have had a problem with leaking since day one.  I have been using the converter (twist variety), but it appears to be faulty--liquid is apparent on what should be the "dry" side of the piston. (See photo below.)  I have fished the cartridge that came with the pen from the original box and will try this now.  I really love the feel and balance of this pen and am anxious to find a solution to the leaking problem!UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3e2d.thumb.jpg.56464f41e6ac963bde190683450981fa.jpg 

So is the pen leaking or is the converter leaking? Last night I had a disagreeable surprise when my fine nib Carène produced a very dark Asa Gao, I unscrewed the barrel and there was ink everywhere; eventually I discovered the converter was not sucking ink and leaking some inside the section... Luckily I had an old beat up metal converter which did the trick, but this is the second time this has happened, the first time was with the converter that came with my other Carène, notice the slit at the opening in the attached picture. I was ready to go looking for more of those metal converters but I'll try used cartridges first.

IMG_20210111_214122055.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I have had two Waterman Carenes and neither leaked ink into the cap.

There is that troublesome issue when you write and your finger strays into proximity of the nib and ink adorns your fingers.

The issue may be one of the cartridge/convertor. Earlier Waterman cartridges/convertors had a metal lip around the nipple and this prevented the plastic from splitting and leaking ink. You may need to get yourself one such convertor/cartridge to prevent such leakage in the pen.

Thank you, senzen.  Upon closer inspection, I see that my original Waterman converter has the same split at the attachment location as the ones in your photo.  This explains why it was not properly filling when attached to the pen and also (likely) the presence of ink on the dry side of the piston.  I have had the cartridge in the pen since last night and there is no evidence of leakage.  I prefer using bottle ink to cartridges, so guess I will order a new converter.

4 hours ago, GPN-ATL said:

Thank you, senzen.  Upon closer inspection, I see that my original Waterman converter has the same split at the attachment location as the ones in your photo.  This explains why it was not properly filling when attached to the pen and also (likely) the presence of ink on the dry side of the piston.  I have had the cartridge in the pen since last night and there is no evidence of leakage.  I prefer using bottle ink to cartridges, so guess I will order a new converter.

I would suggest, instead, to simply order a couple of blunt needle syringes and refill cartridges. There are many upsides:

• you will have a larger ink capacity
  • if you use the technique of "feed priming" your pen will have 100% of the ink it is capable of holding
  • you will be able to use a cartridge many, many times before needing to discard it
  • if done with just the least bit of care, it is actually LESS messy and wasteful than putting the pen into the ink bottle and filling through the converter.

Something to think about. I can fill a pen this way as fast as just with a converter and dunking the nib/feed/section into the ink. There are many videos and guides to cover the steps if you need it. The syringes can be bought from online pen places, but far cheaper on eBay, etc.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

On 1/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, GPN-ATL said:

Glad to be of service, I hope one day to avoid the state of panic that follows a problem like this one. In this day of 3D printing and such someone could come up with a better engineered and produced converter for Waterman pens.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell