Conklin's Omniflex Nibs

sciumbasci

Thanks for the very informative posts!!

I had assumed that since Conklin nibs are usually JoWo nibs, that the Omniflex was no different and used a standard JoWo #6 feed and housing, despite having a uniquely shaped nib.

If the Omniflex nib unit doesn't screw into those pens that take regular JoWo nib units, then I guess I just have to buy a Conklin Durograph after all, something I had wanted to avoid.

I guess the easiest option may just be to pull the nib out and stick it in another pen, but mine is so tightly stuck in the housing that I didn't want to risk messing with alignment by pulling it out.

Just for confirmation, has anyone tried to screw the Omniflex nib unit into a pen that takes screw-in Jowo #6 nib units?

I know the cap space could be an issue, but I wonder if the unit will even screw in completely.

I'm not sure what the protocol is for linking to rival forums, but I think this is the information you're looking for. Looks like you'll have to buy a compatible Conklin or Monteverde or pull the nib.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/21701-Conklin-feed-nib-unit-alternatives?p=226182&viewfull=1#post226182

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• crosshatch

• Karmachanic

• Honeybadgers

Avoid the omniflex nib. It looks pretty but it's got nothing really special. I got one in my all american and after a few days of playing, pulled it out. The problem is they used the WORST steel for making it, so those cutouts, while about as soft as a noodlers #5 flex nib (a hair softer than the #6) just MUSH out and spring immediately if you push it beyond an M or B line. I'm not kidding, you cannot flex it at all without it springing. This nib is worthless. It's okay as a normal nib, but that softness just feels mushy, not bouncy, which just makes it feel like a really bad F nib.

Yikes! That's horrible news. The only reason I grabbed one was that it was only $24 in a July 4th sale.

I guess I'll just pull the nib and pop it in my super wet and juicy Asa Genius and see what happens.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Yikes! That's horrible news. The only reason I grabbed one was that it was only $24 in a July 4th sale.

I guess I'll just pull the nib and pop it in my super wet and juicy Asa Genius and see what happens.

Please let us know how it works out. I'm interested in knowing if it exhibits any softness with normal pressure.

Edit. Never mind. Just read Honeybadger's post and he says it's softer than Noddler's #6. That's good enough for me.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Please let us know how it works out. I'm interested in knowing if it exhibits any softness with normal pressure.

Edit. Never mind. Just read Honeybadger's post and he says it's softer than Noddler's #6. That's good enough for me.

no. no. no. no. no. You read it entirely wrong. It's softer in all the wrong, nasty ways. It has no bounce, just mush. it feels AWFUL.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

The conklin feed actually keeps up great. the problem is that nightmare of a nib. it's so close to great that it winds up being even more of a disappointment.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

no. no. no. no. no. You read it entirely wrong. It's softer in all the wrong, nasty ways. It has no bounce, just mush. it feels AWFUL.

For clarity. I'm not interested if flex writing. I'm looking for a soft steel nib which will show slight variation and shading when writting with normal pressure. The Konrad does this for me. Some on another forum say that the Omniflex is softer than the Konrad.

Given that, does your opinion above still hold?

For clarity. I'm not interested if flex writing. I'm looking for a soft steel nib which will show slight variation and shading when writting with normal pressure. The Konrad does this for me. Some on another forum say that the Omniflex is softer than the Konrad.

I find those Noodler's nibs never flex or even feel soft for me in normal writing. But I have a fairly light touch when writing. I've found that FPR flex nibs, even though they look like they're from the same manufacturer as Noodler's nibs, are a hair more flexible and bouncier.

The Pilot FA nib does give me that experience of line variation and softness and bounce in normal writing--I love that nib for everyday writing--but I haven't yet encountered a steel nib, except for cheap Indian flex nibs like the Noodler's and FPR's ones I've modified through narrowing the shoulders/adding cutouts, that really provide that experience. Bock titanium nibs can provide that feel; although they're mushier feeling than gold nibs, they're way more responsive than steel and are a good middle ground in terms of price point, IMO, though it seems from what I see online that there's a lot of variation in how individual nibs perform in terms of ink flow.

I agree with your approach to flex nibs in general. To me, they're valuable as a way to make my normal writing more tactile and enjoyable and give it more character. If I want to do actual flex writing, i.e. calligraphy, I use a dip pen and legit. calligraphy nib. Personally, I feel the fountain pen is the wrong tool entirely for copperplate, engrosser's, Spencerian, etc. unless you're a lefty. Sometimes I think that all of this chasing after flex nibs is just trying to make a tool something it's not really fit for.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Conklin Omniflex nibs because I haven't tried one, but I would love to hear your opinion when you get a chance to use one.

The nibs on my two Duraflexes work just fine. I get a nice 1.2mm stroke with only moderate pressure and the tines snap back without issue. Clearly YMMV when it comes to modern flex nibs.

From my experience, there's still no variation under my normal writing pressure. You still have to intentionally press it to get the line variation...... and it doesn't snap back that quickly.

From my experience, there's still no variation under my normal writing pressure. You still have to intentionally press it to get the line variation...... and it doesn't snap back that quickly.

The I guess I'll have to save my pennies and get another Titanium. I was hoping to get something less costly for a second tier pen.

The I guess I'll have to save my pennies and get another Titanium. I was hoping to get something less costly for a second tier pen.

You said you get line variation in normal writing from a Konrad. I suspect that you'll get it from an Omniflex nib, in that case.

It's hard to compare the claims of who people who obviously write very differently and use very different amounts of pressure.

If you're satisfied with the amount of flex you get from a Konrad and just want a little bit more, that's one thing. If you're looking for something significantly flexier/bouncier, then that's another.

I agree with your approach to flex nibs in general. To me, they're valuable as a way to make my normal writing more tactile and enjoyable and give it more character. If I want to do actual flex writing, i.e. calligraphy, I use a dip pen and legit. calligraphy nib. Personally, I feel the fountain pen is the wrong tool entirely for copperplate, engrosser's, Spencerian, etc. unless you're a lefty. Sometimes I think that all of this chasing after flex nibs is just trying to make a tool something it's not really fit for.

I'm responding to the comment that I bolded in the quote above.

In my experience, using a high-quality flexible fountain pen nibs is a joy in itself. I have used multiple dip nibs from Joseph Gillet, to Brause, to Hunt, to Esterbrook. And I have no desire to continue using them. They are uncomfortable for me to use.

High quality vintage flex nibs are the one that gets my vote every single time. They are comfortable to write with, I can choose to write normally or in flex-mode, whatever I choose to do at the moment without breaking my line of thoughts.

Therefore to me, the quest to own a nice vintage flex nib is not a phantom chase, it's real, and the result is very rewarding.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

I'm responding to the comment that I bolded in the quote above.

In my experience, using a high-quality flexible fountain pen nibs is a joy in itself. I have used multiple dip nibs from Joseph Gillet, to Brause, to Hunt, to Esterbrook. And I have no desire to continue using them. They are uncomfortable for me to use.

High quality vintage flex nibs are the one that gets my vote every single time. They are comfortable to write with, I can choose to write normally or in flex-mode, whatever I choose to do at the moment without breaking my line of thoughts.

Therefore to me, the quest to own a nice vintage flex nib is not a phantom chase, it's real, and the result is very rewarding.

You're actually not disagreeing with me. I think you misunderstand what I'm saying.

If you mostly want to write normally with them, use them only for things like fancy signatures, etc., do occasional informal flex writing here and there for emphasis in a note or title--for example, when journaling or notetaking--a flexible nib fountain pen is great.

But they're just not a good for actually creating copperplate/engrosser's/Spencerian calligraphy. A nib that can do these calligraphy hands well will not be a comfortable pen for regular long form writing.

And a fountain pen is a terribly uncomfortable and limited tool for performing these calligraphy scripts.

Edited by crosshatch

It's softer in that it takes less pressure to flex. It still takes pressure, you will not see it in regular handwriting. It's no 14k nib. It does, however, just kind of mush down if you bear down on it a little. It's horrible and unsatisfying and unpleasant. If they used a nicer spring steel, it would be amazing, but the actual result is really bad. If you want to spend $45 on a nib that will give you some real bounce and line variation in normal writing, the 14k lucky nib in a wing sung 698 fits all standard #5 feeds and the pilot feed they use for steel nibs (so it fits the metro, prera, 78g, etc.) I currently have that nib in my faber castell loom, and it has lots of gentle variation in normal writing and a ton of wonderful bounce.

The omniflex nib has no redeeming features. That "softness" is not a good thing in any way whatsoever.

Interestingly, though, the softness you seem to be looking for is actually present in the conklin and monteverde regular nibs. they are actually on the bouncy side for a #6 steel nib.

Edited by Honeybadgers

I'm not sure what the protocol is for linking to rival forums, but I think this is the information you're looking for. Looks like you'll have to buy a compatible Conklin or Monteverde or pull the nib.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/21701-Conklin-feed-nib-unit-alternatives?p=226182&viewfull=1#post226182

Thanks so much for the link!

That answered the question quite well.

The next question then is where the heck did conklin/yafa get these nib units from?

Thanks so much for the link!

That answered the question quite well.

The next question then is where the heck did conklin/yafa get these nib units from?

I don't think you understand, they use a different nib housing to make people buy nibs from them for their pens. It also means they can change nib companies and still keep things comparable across the line. It's my understanding for the non-flex nibs they are Jowo, but no idea about the flex ones.

It's softer in that it takes less pressure to flex. It still takes pressure, you will not see it in regular handwriting. It's no 14k nib. It does, however, just kind of mush down if you bear down on it a little. It's horrible and unsatisfying and unpleasant. If they used a nicer spring steel, it would be amazing, but the actual result is really bad. If you want to spend $45 on a nib that will give you some real bounce and line variation in normal writing, the 14k lucky nib in a wing sung 698 fits all standard #5 feeds and the pilot feed they use for steel nibs (so it fits the metro, prera, 78g, etc.) I currently have that nib in my faber castell loom, and it has lots of gentle variation in normal writing and a ton of wonderful bounce.

The omniflex nib has no redeeming features. That "softness" is not a good thing in any way whatsoever.

Interestingly, though, the softness you seem to be looking for is actually present in the conklin and monteverde regular nibs. they are actually on the bouncy side for a #6 steel nib.

Thank you. I was wondering if it was worth the upgrade. Seems so.

I don't think you understand, they use a different nib housing to make people buy nibs from them for their pens. It also means they can change nib companies and still keep things comparable across the line. It's my understanding for the non-flex nibs they are Jowo, but no idea about the flex ones.

Are you saying all Conklin pens use their own custom housing, even though their non-flex nibs are JoWo?

Or did you mean just the Omniflex has a custom housing and therefore can only be used with specific Conklin pens?

I'm just asking, because I don't own any Conklins other than this nib unit. Thankfully, the Omniflex nib and feed pull out of the housing really easily.

As far as I know all Conklin nib housings are custom, not just the flex one. Also both standard Conklin nibs and flex nib screw into the same sections so it seems like that is true. The housing in the picture linked to above was the normal not flex nib and it looks just like my flex one.

What I don't know is if the inside of the nib housing on the flex nib is different then the inside of the non-flex housing.

Edited by Driften

As far as I know all Conklin nib housings are custom, not just the flex one. Also both standard Conklin nibs and flex nib screw into the same sections so it seems like that is true. The housing in the picture linked to above was the normal not flex nib and it looks just like my flex one.

What I don't know is if the inside of the nib housing on the flex nib is different then the inside of the non-flex housing.

Very helpful information. Thanks!