• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• crosshatch

• Karmachanic

• Honeybadgers

If you bought one of the standalone #6 nib units....which pens are you using it in?

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Most modern pen companies have a pen which uses a #6 nib. Your choice

Add lightness and simplicate.

The Omniflex nibs are significantly longer than most #6 nibs. This can be an issue with pen models that don't leave a lot of headspace in the cap. So it's still a good idea to get verification that the Omniflex can be used with a given pen model, even if it uses a modern #6 nib.

I mean the complete #6 nib unit/assembly, not just the nib itself.

I bought the complete assembly because I saw in Brian Goulet's video how the nib is a different shape from normal JoWo #6 nibs.

I know Ranga and AsaPens make pens that are threaded for JoWo #6 nib units, but was hoping to get around paying $50+ for a pen just to try thing Omniflex nib unit in. Are there any cheaper alternatives that take the whole nib unit??

I am not so sure the nib unit is standard. It did not look like it was threaded the same as a Jowo #6 unit for my Franklin-Christoph. It might be that it will only work in Conklin pens.

I bought the complete assembly because I saw in Brian Goulet's video how the nib is a different shape from normal JoWo #6 nibs.

I know Ranga and AsaPens make pens that are threaded for JoWo #6 nib units, but was hoping to get around paying $50+ for a pen just to try thing Omniflex nib unit in. Are there any cheaper alternatives that take the whole nib unit??

You also want to be careful with how much room there is in the cap. My Ranga (which is a pen I LOVE) has very little headspace in the cap. I once didn't seat the nib it came with all the way after a cleaning--a matter of less than 1mm of difference, and almost ruined my nib when I capped the pen. (My fault, not the pen design's fault, and I prefer less headspace as a rule anyway.)

IIRC, the Jinhaos (x450, x 750 etc.) that take #6 nibs will take the Jowo #6 nib units. The Jinhao nib units aren't screwed in--just friction fit into the section--so I believe you can jam a standard #6 unit in there. At any rate, even if it doesn't work, it's a cheap experiment. You'd only be out a few dollars if you order on eBay.

Edited by crosshatch

Anderson Pens (I think--it might have been PenChalet) had been advertising that they'll offer some Monteverde models with the Conklin Omniflex nib unit option.

Post #3 in this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/328839-conklin-duragraph-screw-in-nib-unit-replacement-options/

"Nib units are not interchangeable because the collars differ" This refers to putting other nib units into a Duragraph. I infer from this, then, that the Omniflex unit will not fit a standard #6 pen.

To overcome the headspace issue one could, possibly, mount the nib deeper in the housing, as members have done with Pelikan M600 nibs on TWSBI 530s

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/176003-twsbi-diamond-530-with-a-pelikan-nib/?p=2334655

Might work.

Mine fits a Jowo housing perfectly.

TruthPil's question seems to be not about pulling out the nib and putting it into a Jowo housing but which pens are compatible with the entire unit that the Omniflex comes in. Whether or not the housing it comes with is a Jowo housing is also a question.

I assume from TruthPil's wording that the key is that they don't want to pull the nib out of the unit and swap just the nib; they want to be able to swap the whole unit intact.

TruthPil's question seems to be not about pulling out the nib and putting it into a Jowo housing but which pens are compatible with the entire unit that the Omniflex comes in. Whether or not the housing it comes with is a Jowo housing is also a question.

I assume from TruthPil's wording that the key is that they don't want to pull the nib out of the unit and swap just the nib; they want to be able to swap the whole unit intact.

You are right. The nib unit is not a standard Bock or Jowo housing.

Thanks for the very informative posts!!

I had assumed that since Conklin nibs are usually JoWo nibs, that the Omniflex was no different and used a standard JoWo #6 feed and housing, despite having a uniquely shaped nib.

If the Omniflex nib unit doesn't screw into those pens that take regular JoWo nib units, then I guess I just have to buy a Conklin Durograph after all, something I had wanted to avoid.

I guess the easiest option may just be to pull the nib out and stick it in another pen, but mine is so tightly stuck in the housing that I didn't want to risk messing with alignment by pulling it out.

Just for confirmation, has anyone tried to screw the Omniflex nib unit into a pen that takes screw-in Jowo #6 nib units?

I know the cap space could be an issue, but I wonder if the unit will even screw in completely.

Post #3 in this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/328839-conklin-duragraph-screw-in-nib-unit-replacement-options/

"Nib units are not interchangeable because the collars differ" This refers to putting other nib units into a Duragraph. I infer from this, then, that the Omniflex unit will not fit a standard #6 pen.

To overcome the headspace issue one could, possibly, mount the nib deeper in the housing, as members have done with Pelikan M600 nibs on TWSBI 530s

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/176003-twsbi-diamond-530-with-a-pelikan-nib/?p=2334655

Might work.

You are right. The nib unit is not a standard Bock or Jowo housing.

I don't think buying a Conklin Duragraph will get you the Omniflex nib.

It depends on the vendor. Some have the Omniflex as a standard option now. I suspect the Omniflex nibs ARE in the same housing as the other Conklin nibs, because they're interchangeable as long as the cap can fit the longer Omniflex nib.

IF the regular Conklin nibs use standard Jowo housings, then so will the Omniflex nib.

Edited by crosshatch

I don't think buying a Conklin Duragraph will get you the Omniflex nib.

Isn't that what a Duraflex is?

Thanks for the very informative posts!!

I had assumed that since Conklin nibs are usually JoWo nibs, that the Omniflex was no different and used a standard JoWo #6 feed and housing, despite having a uniquely shaped nib.

If the Omniflex nib unit doesn't screw into those pens that take regular JoWo nib units, then I guess I just have to buy a Conklin Durograph after all, something I had wanted to avoid.

I guess the easiest option may just be to pull the nib out and stick it in another pen, but mine is so tightly stuck in the housing that I didn't want to risk messing with alignment by pulling it out.

Just for confirmation, has anyone tried to screw the Omniflex nib unit into a pen that takes screw-in Jowo #6 nib units?

I know the cap space could be an issue, but I wonder if the unit will even screw in completely.

Try putting the Omniflex unit in hot water for 30 second and then try pulling it. Might help. Then mount it on a Jowo feed in a Jowo housing if that is your wish. Keeping an eye on the nib/cap headspace as noted above.

Edited by Karmachanic

Avoid the omniflex nib. It looks pretty but it's got nothing really special. I got one in my all american and after a few days of playing, pulled it out. The problem is they used the WORST steel for making it, so those cutouts, while about as soft as a noodlers #5 flex nib (a hair softer than the #6) just MUSH out and spring immediately if you push it beyond an M or B line. I'm not kidding, you cannot flex it at all without it springing. This nib is worthless. It's okay as a normal nib, but that softness just feels mushy, not bouncy, which just makes it feel like a really bad F nib.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)