Free Restoration Service

siamackz

Hi, I came across this post and thought I'd see if I could at least get some advice. I got six old pens that from my father, and I think I know what they are thanks to asking here on FPN in the past. Their condition probably varies somewhat, but I doubt any of them are especially good and some appear to be missing parts. So as a starting point, I'd be curious to know (1) which of them it's possible to put into reasonable working condition, and (2) if the repair/restoration to do that would be worth the time, money, effort, etc. If you think you could help with this, let me know and I can send you more info. Thanks!

Hi Dronak, if course Id be happy to help! Just PM with pics and descriptions.

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• MercianScribe

• mitto

• txomsy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No pens for repair yet. But just a quick suggestion to the OP, If possible, document the repairs done along with some photographs. This will be an added effort for you but will make an interesting read for us.

Cheers!

No pens for repair yet. But just a quick suggestion to the OP, If possible, document the repairs done along with some photographs. This will be an added effort for you but will make an interesting read for us.

Cheers!

Just finished two this weekend. Will post pics after the members receive the pen and are satisfied.

Actually it will be a while till they get their pens, so here are my restoration notes for one pen. Its a Waterman's JiF Glass cartridge. Please visit Richard Binder's site for a full and more accurate explanation of how this restoration should be done if you are looking to restore this pen.

fpn_1525083676__screen_shot_2018-04-30_a

And here is a the second pen I restored. Standard repair in terms of resacing and tuning the nib. The only complication was that standard button pressure bars did not fit it, so I needed to modify one to fit.

fpn_1525083773__screen_shot_2018-04-30_a

Are you able to try polishing very light engraving out of the cap of a montblanc meisterstuck? I think its precious resin but not certain.

Are you able to try polishing very light engraving out of the cap of a montblanc meisterstuck? I think its precious resin but not certain.

Hi, why dont you PM me a pic. And then can talk about why/whether you need to do this and what it implies. Its doable but send me a pic first and lets take it from there

Why are so many vac nibs mangled? Anyway, I received one recently - not at all as described. The seller suggested that the nib was not bent but was an oblique. Long story short I just took a partial refund and made this silver vac into a project pen. I am pretty happy with the nib straightening using burnising tools from penpractice.com

fpn_1525573792__7d98720e-6523-45b2-9eb2-

Edited by siamackz

After the nib repair on this vac, it was time to straighten the clip. But boy was that jewel being stubborn. I picked up a clever tip from one of our FPN posts and voila:

fpn_1525882286__ab8b8479-35fd-454c-8d2a-

fpn_1525882559__e71251cb-d62e-4c00-ba31-

Now that the nib and clip are taken care of, it was time for polishing the very worn out barrel and cap:

L=https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1525882719__5917c358-e9ad-44a3-aba6-b338f85e0693.jpeg]fpn_1525882719__5917c358-e9ad-44a3-aba6-[/url]

[url=https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1525882876__623b3181-65b2-4581-92e5-58a200789b25.jpeg]fpn_1525882876__623b3181-65b2-4581-92e5-

Amazing job done. The seller himself would not be able to recognize the pen he sold.

Amazing job done. The seller himself would not be able to recognize the pen he sold.

Thanks for the encouragement, Prashant.

• 2 weeks later...

It is very kind of you to offer this service.

I do have a couple of pens that really only need new sacs, but I haven't decided if I wanted to try that yet.

I -also- bought a whole bunch of vintage pens for parts/restoration that I would be willing to donate. Sadly the piston filler cracked irreparably due to my impatience, but the other parts look like they are in working order. At this point I've been able to get all but two cleaned out, and I plan to keep soaking (just tap water) until the others give way. Might still poke at them for another day or so just to get a feel for general troubleshooting, but otherwise they are free to a good home :)

Banjo

p.s. I haven't -yet- checked the repair boards, but if you have recommendations on polishing cloths/pads, wax, and a tool for re-sacing I would be most appreciative.

p.s. I haven't -yet- checked the repair boards, but if you have recommendations on polishing cloths/pads, wax, and a tool for re-sacing I would be most appreciative.

I use sunshine cloth for polishing silver overlays and even BHR pens at times. Sometimes, more aggressive polishing is required and for this I use 12000 grit micromesh. As finishing layer of polishing I use a water based abrasive called MicroGloss. And for Pens that are not celluloid, I might even use some renessaince wax as the final step for a nice shine/buff.

I dont know what a tool for re-sacing would be? I use dental picks to clean out the old sac from the barrel, an xActo knife to cut sacs to size, shellac to hold sacs in place, etc. But no tool for re-sacing per se.

All the best!

@siamackz

Thanks for the reply. It seems there is a bit of back, and forth regarding the use of a spreader tool to install new sacs. Currently thinking it would be much simpler to have someone else, such as yourself, install the new ink sacs.

Will definitely pick up micromesh, and polish though. That seems easy enough.

@siamackz

Thanks for the reply. It seems there is a bit of back, and forth regarding the use of a spreader tool to install new sacs. Currently thinking it would be much simpler to have someone else, such as yourself, install the new ink sacs.

Will definitely pick up micromesh, and polish though. That seems easy enough.

Banjofox, re sacing a pen needs close to zero specialty equipment (except shellac) IMHO. Try it. Its much easier than you imagine and easy to undo if you make mistakes too.

I have a Duke, William Shakespeare FP which has a Broken FEED can you fix that for me,and what a great offer, regards, Oneill

I have a Duke, William Shakespeare FP which has a Broken FEED can you fix that for me,and what a great offer, regards, Oneill

Hi, why dont you PM some pics and Ill let you know if I can help. Thanks