• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• MercianScribe

• mitto

• txomsy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This was a tricky repair... replacing the piston parts on a 1970s MB 146. Thanks to prior posts on FPN and some advice from expert friends, here’s how I did it..

fpn_1584498232__8eba9800-ec8e-44d8-83d2-

fpn_1584498281__4b05310d-c2e2-4df8-b18c-

How did you fix the tines on that nib? I've got a nib or two that are sprung like that, and I'd like to get the times back together. I've tried the method of bending the tines back toward each other a bit, but that hasn't worked for me.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

How did you fix the tines on that nib? I've got a nib or two that are sprung like that, and I'd like to get the times back together. I've tried the method of bending the tines back toward each other a bit, but that hasn't worked for me.

I cross cross them like in the video here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7vv0eSGR5Jw

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

I cross cross them like in the video here

Okay, thanks siamackz :thumbup: . I'd not seen the video of the process before. It does look a lot like what I've tried. I guess that I just need to try again.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Okay, thanks siamackz :thumbup: . I'd not seen the video of the process before. It does look a lot like what I've tried. I guess that I just need to try again.

Yes sometimes it takes more than one might imagine or be comfortable with even, but it might be the only way. Of course, the possibility of damage is there too, so be careful. All the best

• 1 month later...

Would you consider taking on a technical fountain pen? It’s a piston filler with a hollow tube with a wire inside as a writing tip, instead of a nib.

I have no idea what exactly is wrong with it, but turning the end does not seem to actuate the piston.

Is it a koh-i-nor? They are super simple to service, mine was jammed up with a full barel of ink left for 30+ years. But if the knob under the blind cap is just free spinning then the shaft of the plunger is probably busted, once the piston is at the end of the track the knob shouldnt move.

Would you consider taking on a technical fountain pen? It’s a piston filler with a hollow tube with a wire inside as a writing tip, instead of a nib.

I have no idea what exactly is wrong with it, but turning the end does not seem to actuate the piston.

I would have been happy to help, but shipping to India from the US is expensive and very very unreliable if you use USPS/UPS, and I don’t have anyone visiting me anytime soon with the whole COVID situation the way it is. It would be cheaper and safer to send it off to a professional around you. I hope you work something out!

• 2 weeks later...

Aha! Pics possible again it seems!

fpn_1534256770__img_3709.jpg

Hi! I know this is not on topic, but the ink you are using is perfect. I've been looking for just such an ink for a while. What is it, please?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Is it a koh-i-nor? They are super simple to service, mine was jammed up with a full barel of ink left for 30+ years. But if the knob under the blind cap is just free spinning then the shaft of the plunger is probably busted, once the piston is at the end of the track the knob shouldnt move.

Yes, a Koh-i-noor. The knob does’t spin free, it moves part way. Maybe disconnected, maybe broken?

I soaked it in Koh-i-noor pen cleaner and it seems better, but still not right.

I would have been happy to help, but shipping to India from the US is expensive and very very unreliable if you use USPS/UPS, and I don’t have anyone visiting me anytime soon with the whole COVID situation the way it is. It would be cheaper and safer to send it off to a professional around you. I hope you work something out!

I haven’t been able to find a pro to take it.

I havent been able to find a pro to take it.

Youre more than welcome to send it to me if you like. Just drop me a DM and Ill share my address. Be healthy!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just restored a not-so-common 232G. Lovely pen!

fpn_1595381303__f86af994-67d7-410e-92ef-

fpn_1595381371__c2bb7298-ab9b-47be-9807-

fpn_1595381426__674e3180-d7e4-4172-a5b5-

fpn_1595381473__dfa23c5b-b7e1-4c3f-8542-

fpn_1595381534__08a6974a-36ef-4e04-9d1e-

fpn_1595381578__76051407-5d92-434e-ac8d-

fpn_1595381652__bd9f7fbf-6b27-47d8-9a5c-

Edited by siamackz

I have a Sheaffer Snorkel that I would be interested in you taking a look at, if you are still interested in repairing them. I had it completely reworked a few years ago, and it just started to not work correctly. The snorkel would not work correctly. I have taken it apart to try and put in the replacement snorkel that was sent with the last repair. My father bought it in Germany when he was Air Force Intelligence in the early to mid 50s. The sac, etc was replaced. It started to make an almost grinding sound when moving the piston to fill it. I only ever used Edelstein Onyx ink in the pen. I have several pens, but this one is the most important. It was a great writer. It could sit for days, and start right up when I used it.

1 Homo Sapien BA Maxi & Mech Pencil, HS Misnight in Florence, 2 Van Goghs 1 Blue Ocean Midi S Nib/1 Cappuccino Midi 14k Trim, 3 MBs 149/144/221, 2 Wm Phileas 1 Blue w/ mech pencil, 1 Demo, 1 Snorkel Sent., 3 MVs Regatta/Invincia/Artista,2 EB J - BSP,I am Not Affiliated with any website, company or product I might mention on this site."

I have a Sheaffer Snorkel that I would be interested in you taking a look at, if you are still interested in repairing them. I had it completely reworked a few years ago, and it just started to not work correctly. The snorkel would not work correctly. I have taken it apart to try and put in the replacement snorkel that was sent with the last repair. My father bought it in Germany when he was Air Force Intelligence in the early to mid 50s. The sac, etc was replaced. It started to make an almost grinding sound when moving the piston to fill it. I only ever used Edelstein Onyx ink in the pen. I have several pens, but this one is the most important. It was a great writer. It could sit for days, and start right up when I used it.

A pen with such wonderful personal history! It would have been an honour for me to restore. However, the only country from where it is unfeasible to send me pens is the US. The mailing charges are super high to India even if you use simple tracked shipping (and very unreliable via this method). It would cost you less or about the same to send it for professional repair in the US itself.

All the best and I hope you get this one up and writing soon.

Thanks for responding.

1 Homo Sapien BA Maxi & Mech Pencil, HS Misnight in Florence, 2 Van Goghs 1 Blue Ocean Midi S Nib/1 Cappuccino Midi 14k Trim, 3 MBs 149/144/221, 2 Wm Phileas 1 Blue w/ mech pencil, 1 Demo, 1 Snorkel Sent., 3 MVs Regatta/Invincia/Artista,2 EB J - BSP,I am Not Affiliated with any website, company or product I might mention on this site."