What's Your Most Recent Mb Purchase? 2018

RMN

Got a 149 today. This is my first 149 and first modern Montblanc pen. I think they forgot to make mine out of precious resin, because it feels exactly like plastic.

"Precious Resin" is a Montblanc marketing term for their particular plastic, similar to "Auroloide" being a marketing term for Aurora's cellulose acetate. Unfortunately, it looks really snooty in MB's advertising and product literature.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• Michael R.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really? I had to look up "blind cap" which seems to be the bit at the end you twist to work the piston in my uneducated vocabulary! I grabed my copy of Roser but there isn't even a picture of the 236 in there.

The blind cap is meant to come off, and then you turn the knob underneath it, to work the piston.

fpn_1527014759__cu4f8944.jpg

Zaddick - I had the same experience with Lucky Orange, wasnt sure if it was something Id done wrong!

This is what the ink was doing to my 146...

The sliver ring at the nib end of my JFK actually fell off whilst I was wriitng and had to be sent back to MB for repair. Now I am wondering if this could have been caused by some kind of expansion of the "lucky" orange. :-(

The blind cap is meant to come off, and then you turn the knob underneath it, to work the piston.

fpn_1527014759__cu4f8944.jpg

Thanks for clarifying farmdogfan, takes me back to the push button fillers. So the blind cap is not original but the rest of the pen is? The more pictures you post of this wonderful pen the better from my perspective. Enjoy using it :-)

Thanks for clarifying farmdogfan, takes me back to the push button fillers. So the blind cap is not original but the rest of the pen is? The more pictures you post of this wonderful pen the better from my perspective. Enjoy using it :-)

Thank you Dascott. Everything is original (and in good condition), except for the blindcap, which fits nicely, but comes from an old MB 246.

Edited by farmdogfan

I had decided to add another MB to my pen lot and found one M le Grande 149 today and again seen two MB le grande 146 and a small one that takes converters.

So I managed to win the bid and grab all three pens. :lticaptd:

I am happy if the pens are good and worth the money I paid for. I can't tell Anything more as I am waiting for the delivery next week. :D

~ Pravda:

Thank you for the images of your recent acquisitions.

Whatever you're turning toward, may it be deeply satisfying.

Your discernment and taste will surely seek out whatever's the finest.

Tom K.

Thanks Tom! I am very much still into fountain pens, however opted to slow down in their purchase as I have been overdue in replacing some leather good items that are worn out in the meantime. Also, a lot of new nibs have been coming my way hopefully will get an opportunity to showcase them soon.

Thanks Tom! I am very much still into fountain pens, however opted to slow down in their purchase as I have been overdue in replacing some leather good items that are worn out in the meantime. Also, a lot of new nibs have been coming my way hopefully will get an opportunity to showcase them soon.

~ Pravda:

That's great news!

Whether nibs or leather accessories, whatever you present will surely be of superb quality.

I hope that a special pen or two may interest you in the months to come.

Tom K.

Waiting for a 144 with an OB nib. Picked it up on eBay. It's coming from Japan - I try to avoid those MBs knowing that a lot are counterfeit. This one looks good to my semi-trained eye, but I'm going to need some reassurance!

This will complete my line up of a 149, 146, 144,& 114

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

My adorable little 114 arrived today. Gorgeous pen with a broad nib. I think it's a bit small for a lot or writing, but absolutely perfect for note-taking. So fun to see the difference between it and the 149!

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

My adorable little 114 arrived today. Gorgeous pen with a broad nib. I think it's a bit small for a lot or writing, but absolutely perfect for note-taking. So fun to see the difference between it and the 149!

You still need a 147 and 145!

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

After that you might have to have a set based on the year of manufacture based on the nib/feed/body style.

Then we need to start looking for two sets of 142, 144, 146 & 149 from the 50s. One with the masterpiece marking and another one with the meisterstuck.

That will complete your set. For a given nib width. :)

Kalessin - "Unfortunately, it looks really snooty in MB's advertising and product literature."

It goes beyond puffery and into the realm of insult.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

Picked this up a week ago; 75th Anniversary LE 149 :)

mb_149_75th.jpg

Cousins!

149_and_146.jpg

Edited by Nathanb

Picked this up a week ago; 75th Anniversary LE 149 :)

mb_149_75th.jpg

Cousins!

149_and_146.jpg

Wow! Nathanb thats gorgeous! One of my favorite 149s of all time this, I never got a chance to get myself one hopefully before it's too late. Are you going to get a special nib for it?

You actually made me want to go and ink this later today :)

fpn_1528179695__75th_skeleton.jpg

Double post

Edited by zaddick

Poor Pravda. Your 149 has been in storage so long it is falling apart and has lost all its black precious resin. It has wasted away to its skeletal base. Better send that to MB service right quick!

Since is it almost 20 years old, if they cannot service it I can help you with a resin 75th 149 parts swap, you know out of the goodness of my heart.

;) just wow. A stunner.

zaddick, on 02 Jun 2018 - 15:23, said:snapback.png

After that you might have to have a set based on the year of manufacture based on the nib/feed/body style.

Then we need to start looking for two sets of 142, 144, 146 & 149 from the 50s. One with the masterpiece marking and another one with the meisterstuck.

That will complete your set. For a given nib width. :)

Oh... you folks are enablers! I love that about you!

I just bought a new, sealed-in-box Oscar Wilde on the 'Bay a few minutes ago. I can't wait to see it in person, as I was very impressed with the acrylic used in the F. Scott Fitzgerald. I wish MB would use such material more often.