What's Your Most Recent Mb Purchase? 2018

RMN

Thanks very much for the info. Love Perm Grey, haven't been able to find it.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• Michael R.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just purchase for the vast sum of 99p:

"Pen Nib Suitable For Montblanc 144 Fountain Pen. Liquidated stock, as new as only tested it writes.

Not verified as genuine".

​I am pretty sure it will be a Chinese copy but it will be interesting to see, I will report back when it arrives.

Whatever the result, I will only have lost less than a pound.

Well the nib unit arrived and, sure enough, it is a copy. Still for 99p I don't think I have been conned :D .

Peter

Well the nib unit arrived and, sure enough, it is a copy. Still for 99p I don't think I have been conned :D .

~ Matlock:

As they came straight out and noted that it hadn't been verified as genuine, it is what it is.

Was it a poor grade copy or moderately sophisticated?

Tom K.

~ Matlock:

As they came straight out and noted that it hadn't been verified as genuine, it is what it is.

Was it a poor grade copy or moderately sophisticated?

Tom K.

Actually it is quite good although the engravings are not as well defined as on a genuine MB. It fits a real 144 and writes OK but nothing special. Probably something between F & M. I'm not too upset as I have a new 18k 144 nib unit which I bought a couple of years ago and that one is genuine.

Peter

Actually it is quite good although the engravings are not as well defined as on a genuine MB. It fits a real 144 and writes OK but nothing special. Probably something between F & M.

~ Matlock:

Ha! It sounds as though it qualifies for the tables in back alleys and passageways here which are helpfully marked in English:

“Best quality fakes”

Such in-your-face frankness has a certain brazen appeal.

Tom K.

~ Matlock:

Ha! It sounds as though it qualifies for the tables in back alleys and passageways here which are helpfully marked in English:

“Best quality fakes”

Such in-your-face frankness has a certain brazen appeal.

Tom K.

Reminds me of the last time I was in Rome where you could buy a "GENUINE" Rolex watch for €5. Strangely when the seller saw the police approaching he packed up his stall and ran, I wonder why?

Peter

Greetings fellow Mont blanc users! I would like to show three recent purchases and compare their similarities. They include the Oscar Wilde, Agatha Christie, and the Beatles Fountain pens. The three pens are almost identical in length capped and posted. But they vary considerably In length and grip unposted. I was amazed that all three and the 149 are exactly the same length when posted!

The Oscar Wilde is a nod back to the pens from the early years of Montblanc. The pen is very comfortable to use as it is larger and longer then the Agatha Christie unposted. Unfortunately though I think the cap is too short and does not look quite right.

The Agatha Christie is an awesome looking pen and is easily my favorite. It is a tad bit narrow and short for my tastes, but almost perfect.

The Beatles pen is heavier and thicker than the others and feels considerably more solid and durable. The cap is huge and is meant to resemble the tall microphones used by the Beatles during some of their recording sessions. The pen unposted is not as long as the others, although it is long enough to be usable and comfortable.

The Montblanc cap top emblems - the Agatha Christie is huge and mellow; the Agatha Christie is smaller but mellow; the Beatles is huge and bright white.

post-26193-0-11292200-1521564947_thumb.jpeg

post-26193-0-78189200-1521564960_thumb.jpeg

post-26193-0-69482700-1521564974.jpeg

post-26193-0-52666000-1521565004.jpeg

Here is a comparison shot of the Oscar Wilde next to a Visconti Homo Sapien, which was designed to have the ideal ratio between the cap and the overall length. It matches the Oscar Wilde exactly but because of the trim rings the pens have vastly different appearances.

post-26193-0-00841900-1521566600_thumb.jpeg

brad7k. Great comparison photos. Thanks for sharing. Really puts the pens into perspective.

@brad7k

Very detailed pics and I liked your comments. Hands down my favorite of the 4 is the Agatha Christie!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/329223-enjoying-montblanc-pens-broad-oblique-extra-fine-le-bespoke/page-52

~ Two photos sets have been posted in the above thread introducing two Montblanc fountain pens which separately arrived today.

• Danish-made Coral Red Montblanc 212 EF Nib

• Montblanc 2001 Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour F Nib

Tom K.

fpn_1521877751__components.jpg

fpn_1521900813__writing_instrument.jpg

@Tom Kellie: both are wonderful pens, yet so different. The Marquise was never in my focus but actually the interest grows ;-) Enjoy both in good health.

@Tom Kellie: both are wonderful pens, yet so different. The Marquise was never in my focus but actually the interest grows ;-) Enjoy both in good health.

fpn_1521983949__exceeding.jpg

~ Michæl R.:

May I please ask you a question...or to any others who might know?

Is the mass in grams of the 2001 PoA Marquise de Pompadour similar to the mass in grams of the 1994 PoA Louis XIV?

Their respective dimensions in centimeters I know, but as of yet I've been unable to find reliable mass in grams information.

The reason that I ask is because until yesterday I'd never written with any fountain pen primarily made of metal.

Heretofore the Montblancs on my desk have all been made of black precious resin, thus writing with a heavier pen is an entirely fresh experience.

I'm enjoying it. Now I wonder if a PoA Louis XIV might be of comparable mass, given the sterling silver body under the vermeil golden surface.

If I could confirm such a weight, my long-term plan to acquire a PoA Louis XIV might considerably speed up to move from ‘daydream’ to ‘active plan’.

Tom K.

@Tom Kellie

It seems the Louis XIV is lighter by a few grams. 52 grs vs Pompadours 69 (sorry for the poor pic quality). I got curious as well after reading your post! And, congrats on your new acquisitions. Both are beautiful pens! A Danish Coral is something I have never seen up close and personal, but hoping to do so one day.

Edited by MontblancLover

Great you jumped in since I don't have a Louis XIV (yet).

@Tom: If you like the resin 149 and the heavier Marquise I can imagine you will get along just great with the Louis XIV which has more classic proportions compared to the Marquise :-)

Cheers

Michael

@Tom Kellie

It seems the Louis XIV is lighter by a few grams. 52 grs vs Pompadours 69 (sorry for the poor pic quality). I got curious as well after reading your post! And, congrats on your new acquisitions. Both are beautiful pens! A Danish Coral is something I have never seen up close and personal, but hoping to do so one day.

fpn_1521994768__montblanclover.jpg

MontblancLover I think weight without caps would be a better comparison as many write unposted. Also, I suspect much more % of the Marquis weight is in the cap.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!