What's Your Most Recent Mb Purchase? 2018

RMN

Yesterday I went to the Baltimore Pen Show and I came home with two very different beauties. First, a Montblanc Alexander the Great in mint condition (boxes and papers will be sent to me later) and a Montblanc 342-G (marked D-O) with a 14K nib, great imprint, and a blue cap top which I understand designates this pen for use with carbon copies. This is my first foray into the world of vintage Montblancs.

post-22656-0-78698700-1520174234_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• Michael R.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday I went to the Baltimore Pen Show and I came home with two very different beauties. First, a Montblanc Alexander the Great in mint condition (boxes and papers will be sent to me later) and a Montblanc 342-G (marked D-O) with a 14K nib, great imprint, and a blue cap top which I understand designates this pen for use with carbon copies. This is my first foray into the world of vintage Montblancs.

Any chance of a picture of the Alexander with the cap off? What nib did you get?

Yes, I can post a photo of that pen with the cap off later today. I only dipped the nib — it writes and looks like a fine.

Thank you. I love the section. All one level instead of the modern sharp step down from the body. Beautiful!

~ admmarcos:

Congratulations on your post-doctoral appointment!

May it be a productive, meaningful experience.

Enjoy your new Rouge et Noir Tropic Brown!

Tom K.

Thank you very much! I piked up this one to sign the contract this month. Also, this is my birthday's month as well.

Congratulations on your acceptance!

Thank you very much! :)

~ Toll:

Thank you for sharing images of your two pens.

The 3-42 Gs I write with are both excellent writers.

Your PoA Alexander the Great is a rare beauty.

Enjoy your new treasures!

Tom K.

Picked up my first MB, thanks to a loving wife and a bit of luck...

I checked out the Caesars boutique back in 2016 shortly after the Ultra Blacks came out and immediately fell in love with it. The following month, my wife and I were in Rome where I showed it to her, and while we both loved the pen, there wasn't any real occasion to purchase it right there and then. Instead, she agreed to buy one for me for our 5th wedding anniversary (Aug 2018) which I begrudgingly agreed to. Fast forward to early 2017 where I go to follow up on the pen and see what else MB is doing, only to find out that that particular pen was only available in 2016. Hopes dashed, I put it out of my mind until closer to 2018 when I could see what MB was offering. Now January 2018, my wife is browsing MB Canada's website and finds the UB still listed for sale but by special order only. I call the local store and they tell me that there are only 2 left in North America.

Long story short, we drove down and checked everything out, picked the nib and engraving, and it should be in the mail to me tomorrow. The only downside is I now have a 5 month wait to actually ink and break this puppy in!

In the meantime, i've picked up green, blue, and black MB inks and a few other Diamine inks in majestic purple, majestic blue, and red dragon.

Congratulations! Wonderful story. The best things are worth waiting for.

Pleased to see that you have plenty of inks ready for it.

You must write a thank you note to your wife in each colour.

Enjoy.

~ chrisward3:

Thank you for sharing such a nice story.

Diamine Red Dragon sits ion a desk beside me — it's performed well in my pens.

May this ‘pen of love’ be a special joy every time you write with it.

Tom K.

Thank you. I love the section. All one level instead of the modern sharp step down from the body. Beautiful!

~ Ghost Plane:

After looking at the photograph of Toll's beautiful PoA Alexander the Great with the 2013 PoA Duke of Milan, I see the step that you mention.

I appreciate your pointing this out as I'd never encountered it hence wasn't aware of the distinction.

By this reasoning the 1994 PoA Louis XIV doesn't have a step, while the 2010 PoA Elizabeth I does.

It's another consideration when looking at older pen models.

Toll's PoA Alexander the Great is easy on the eyes. What a beautiful pen for daily writing.

Tom K.

Tom, I appreciate your insightful and kind approach to making posts among the MB readers. I want to say a little more about both purchases. First, I have not bought a new MB pen in at least a year, maybe two. I think my last purchase was a Rouge et Noir Coral. I simply have not been enthralled with recent offerings — Saint-Euxpery, Beatles, Ultra Black, Martele, etc. I didn’t expect to buy either of these pens — in fact I was looking for the new Pelikan 120 in blue and/or one or more Montegrappa’s. None of those pens were to be found.

One of the vendors had several PoA pens that drew me to them. I had never seen the Alexander in person (only from photos) and the minute I beheld this pen I knew I wanted to buy it. The deal was done! Interestingly, having never before seen this pen at a pen show, another vendor had an Alexander to sell. I have yet to ink it up (Tolstoy Blue will get the nod).

As noted in my first post about these pens, one of the vendors had several vintage MB’s in excellent condition. I was immediately drawn to the blue cap top of the 342-G — so unusual — the piston worked well, the pen was clean, the price seemed reasonable, and I bought it. I have inked it up with MB Blue Hour. The nib is on the stiff side but writes very well.

After my latest 149 purchase went sideways, I had not found a pen I "needed to have" from MB. Then this litle one came along. More details to follow in a separate thread.

fpn_1520633666__20180309_134013_resized.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Zaddick, be very careful with this one. The sections tend to crack on them, and replacements are very hard to find.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I could not resist the St Ex with a fine nib. Extravagant but Le Petit Prince's star on the nib pushed me over the edge.

post-142152-0-91373700-1520787483_thumb.jpg

OBB 149 and free note book .

~ littlepen:

Ha! What a photo!

A 149 OBB is a great choice.

To have a notebook added is a nice purchase.

May it write well for you this year and in times to come.

Tom K.

Hmmm... is that nib an oblique as well as being stiff? I wonder if the D-O marking means "Durch Oblique" (hard oblique)..

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

My most recent purchase is a Rouge Et Noir #2 lever filler. This pen was made from 1923-1929. The nib is very flexible and a joy to write with.

My most recent purchase is a Rouge Et Noir #2 lever filler. This pen was made from 1923-1929. The nib is very flexible and a joy to write with.

Any pics?