• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• Michael R.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More potential treasures inbound from the website that starts with "eBay" and ends with charges on my credit card.

Mystery item #1 -- a $110 Montblanc 146 of unknown age (estimated by the seller to be 30-40 years old), and unknown nib size, that has laid in a drawer, and possibly damaged by contact with nail polish. Pictures were fuzzy and the seller was unable (unwilling) to take more focused pictures or was unable (unwilling) to remove the cap so I could peek at the nib. At the very least, I expect the piston and nib to be salvageable, and given my preference for functionality over aesthetics, as long as it holds ink without leaking, I'll keep it intact.

Mystery item #2 -- a 149 with an 18c two-tone EF nib and split ebonite feed, coming from Paris. I'm hoping this nib once removed bears the hallmarks of a French market nib. Purchased because the two-tone 18c nibs made for France were available for a shorter period between the mid-late 70s and early 80s (according the available references) than the 18c tri-tone nibs that are more widely known and well-revered.

Beautiful pens farmdogfan! The platinum lined MB’s are the most beautiful pens ever made by MB.

fpn_1518624483__new.jpg

~ Following are the fountain pens which arrived this afternoon, in order from left to right as shown above:

A. 1967 Montblanc 24 — 14C gold nib — EEF Extra Extra Fine

B. 1967 Montblanc 24 — 14C gold nib — OF Oblique Fine

C. Early 1960s Montblanc 32 — 14C gold nib — OBBB Oblique Triple Broad

• D. Early 1960s Montblanc 32 — 14C gold nib — EEF Extra Extra Fine

They're all from the mid- to early 1960s, meaning that they're about half a century old.

Yours truly was in elementary school and junior high school when they were first made, purchased and inked.

They all write exceptionally well, with no issues of any sort.

The Montblanc 24 OF nib may well be the most remarkable nib I own. Such sensitive feedback and line control.

Tom K.

~ Following are the fountain pens which arrived this afternoon, in order from left to right as shown above:

Wow, those all look to be in great shape. I don't know anything about the older pens, but it looks like you scored!

Congrats.

fpn_1518624483__new.jpg

They're all from the mid- to early 1960s, meaning that they're about half a century old.

Yours truly was in elementary school and junior high school when they were first made, purchased and inked.

The Montblanc 24 OF nib may well be the most remarkable nib I own. Such sensitive feedback and line control.

Tom K.

Ooooooooh! Can’t wait to see nib shots in action!

Congratulations, Tom! How does this EEF nib perform compared to the bespoke one (“Panthera Pardus)”?

A early fifties celluloid MB 149 with ski-slope feed, a pen i wanted for a long time.

~ farmdogfan:

That's a beautiful pen, shown in such attractive images.

If it writes as well as it looks, it must be a pleasing writer.

The F nib appears to be in excellent condition.

Thank you for sharing these images.

Enjoy using your lovely pen!

Tom K.

fpn_1518624483__new.jpg

Tom K.

Gosh, That's quite a haul. It's as if you've bought a complete collection.

I've had a few of these pens over the years, they were some of the most trouble-free and best everyday writers I had. Took a lot of abuse (accidental, mostly!) and still looked good. Very robust.

I guess that this was still in the era of heavy ballpoint pen competition, so FP's would have to be ultra reliable to stand a chance against the new tide of super reliable Bic Cristals etc.

Great pens, and very smart looking set with an interesting variation of nibs.

Congratulations. Enjoy them in good health.

That's beautiful, farmdogfan. Great find.

It's surely a grail pen for many of us on this forum. A wonderful example which ticks all the boxes.

Congratulations. Enjoy it in good health.