Monteverde (Gemstone) Fire Opal

lgsoltek

Frankly I'm a bit disappointed with this ink. I thought it would be a bright vibrant orange, but it turns out to be another burnt orange. I'm sure many people will like this colour though, especially it has that "halo-ing" effect where the edges show a dark colour.

The flow and lubrication is medium to wet. I have expected it to be very wet and lubricating, but it's not. Another disappointment. But I should say that it's not dry, it's just that I have a preference for very wet flowing inks.

Splash

fpn_1512990017__img_5882.jpg

Sample

(80g Clairefontaine copy paper. See how my dry Pilot Music nib can't handle this ink.)

fpn_1512990013__fire.jpeg

Compare

(Note that only the swabs are in different inks. All writings are done with Fire Opal. Ancient Copper looks rather brown, Monarch has more orange, and KWZI Orange is redder and much brighter. Flame Red is really similar to Ancient Copper, but without that dark halo-ing.)

fpn_1512989971__fire_comp.jpeg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HalloweenHJB

• lapis

• Patrick L

• lgsoltek

I bought a bottle of it, and (it must be some kind of torture) immediately proceeded to wrap it into some shiny paper, then placed it under a funny cone-shaped plastic tree.

Still looking forward to it! - I indeed expected it to be brighter than your photos here, but my main hook with this ink was its shading. Your review is comforting in that sense (The 'Monteverde Fire Opal' in the top left corner of your page looks :puddle: )

Well, I think it's great and wish you lived nearby so I could take it off your hands :) Gouletpens had a promotion for a free Montverde ink with pen purchase, and this one was already sold out when I placed my order. Perhaps some day... Too many inks to try!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 2 months later...

I do love this ink, and used it quite a bit in the past few months.

And then came Copper Noir by Monteverde. Not exact identical twins, but very close:

fpn_1520795418__2018-03-11_150455.jpg

Close-up:

fpn_1520795443__2018-03-11_150503.jpg

Fire Opal is still a touch brighter, while Copper Noir is a bit more brooding. I love them both, to be honest.

One thing to note - in super wet pens, this ink sheens. it sheens a lovely silver, and sheens rather dramatically. I like it a huge amount because it's actually dark enough to be usable on a daily basis, and it's also AMAZING looking on darker cream color paper. Bright white paper doesn't bring a whole lot of this ink's complexity out. And the shading is brilliant.

I adore this ink, I used it all autumn and nearly killed half the bottle.

Only downside is that it turns into crusty stuff when it dries, so it always makes a bit of a mess uncapping the bottle, and it can crustify the nib, but never clogs.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Based on the splash I'd be calling this color "Crime Scene".

:D I know what you mean, but if I had to choose the best "dried blood" ink, I'd go with Montblanc Alfred Hitchcock or Diamine Oxblood. Fresh blood, now that's another story... ;)

Based on the splash I'd be calling this color "Crime Scene".

Very much not reminiscent of dried blood. I'd go for oxblood for a comic book blood red.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 4 months later...

Truly beautiful ink, probably the first orange colored ink that I am absolutely in love with

Anyone knows the average dry time for this ink with a Japanese Fine nib?

Edited by penzel_washinkton

Interesting ink! I think I kind of like it for an orange ink.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thank you for the review. :) I quite like this colour and must find a sample of it to try out before I splurge on a bottle. :)

Actually, I like the heck outta this ink (who cares?). It's just that it needs a different name.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for your great review. "I thought it would be a bright vibrant orange," could you suggest a truly bright vibrant orange ink ? I have purchased two or three orange inks but have been unable to get a vibrant orange ink.

Thanks for your great review. "I thought it would be a bright vibrant orange," could you suggest a truly bright vibrant orange ink ? I have purchased two or three orange inks but have been unable to get a vibrant orange ink.

If you want super bright, vibrant orange, I'd suggest Diamine Pumpkin or Akkerman Oranje Boven. Levenger used to have an ink called "Blazing Sunset," but I'm not sure if it's still available. These three are fairly retina searing. ;)

If you want super bright, vibrant orange, I'd suggest Diamine Pumpkin or Akkerman Oranje Boven. Levenger used to have an ink called "Blazing Sunset," but I'm not sure if it's still available. These three are fairly retina searing. ;)

Yes I was gonna say that as well.

Omas' Orange -- AFAIK their last ink creation -- is even brighter, but likely now hard to locate since the company folded in 2016.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks to all of you . When I come here I get excited and have my questions replied and my wishes fulfilled. Pens and inks are so important for me.