Hello And A Question

jandrews

hello all.

very excited to start my fountain pen adventures here. i've been reading these boards a lot to help in my initial decisions, so thank you very much for the help you have already provided!

I am a left handed side-writer, which seems to be the worst of the worst when it comes to pens and penmanship but I'm having a great time regardless and getting more and more comfortable moving my hand underneath the action to give myself a more diverse set of options. From the side, I get some (exciting to me, probably strange for others) nice line variation using an italic nib held perpendicular to the baseline of writing. I sprung for an architect nib from fpnibs that if i am visualizing it correctly will give me a closer to normal (not that i am all that considered with being normal) look for my script.

so here is my question: What type of cursive should i re-teach myself? the impetus of all this was trying to learn italic calligraphy with dip pens; i think it is beautiful. once i get better control of my writing that may again be a goal, but for right now i just want my handwriting to look appealing and be less random in its creation. the process of writing by hand is a peaceful experience for me and i would like to be able to take more pride in the way it looks. I'm already enjoying just slowing down and using an elegant instrument. I found what seems to be a good reference at http://writeanalog.com/learning-cursive-handwriting/ but it hasn't been helpful in my decision.

does anyone have any thoughts on what would be best when re-learning cursive? I'd like something with a little personality, but not something based on being able to use a flex nib or dip pen which can come later once my hand becomes a bit more disciplined. I'd love to hear of any particular successes or frustrations with learning a certain type.

thanks for your time, i'm excited to be here

josh

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrews

• jar

• Chrissy

• Wahl

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard, from Charleston, SC. Might I suggest you post this in the Handwriting and Handwriting Improvement subforum?

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome aboard, from Charleston, SC. Might I suggest you post this in the Handwriting and Handwriting Improvement subforum?

thank you i will

Hi Josh! I'm also a lefty. I can't recommend a cursive, but I wanted to add that I follow several left-handed calligraphers on IG- if you do a quick search a bunch should come up. Some of my favorites to watch are @logos_calligraphy @kathleenprumo & @inkerellacards

It's pretty inspiring to see their work when I get frustrated while working on my own handwriting :D

Hi Josh! I'm also a lefty. I can't recommend a cursive, but I wanted to add that I follow several left-handed calligraphers on IG- if you do a quick search a bunch should come up. Some of my favorites to watch are @logos_calligraphy @kathleenprumo & @inkerellacards

It's pretty inspiring to see their work when I get frustrated while working on my own handwriting :D

Thanks! It took me a second to figure out what IG meant :) - Maybe I have to get one now...as long as I can still avoid twitter I bet I'll be able to retain my sanity.

• 9 months later...

Hello Josh. I too am a left handed writer. I have used a fountain pen, on and off, since around 1954 when my dad presented me with a Parker fountain pen set. I wrote with one for some years but then just went with the ball point pens. When I first began I would smear the ink frequently by the way I positioned my hand and paper. Lately I have been interested in fountain pens and penmanship. I position my hand a little differently than others. I place the pen in my hand just as a right handed person would do using the, what I call, two finger one thumb method. I point my hand as an extension of my arm the same way a right handed person does. The thing I do, which I have not seen before, is to position the paper slanted slightly to the left and not right as most have recommended. The writing goes left to right, of course, with a little upward slant. This way I do not write over my words but if I happen to get close the ink dries before I get to them. My wrist is turned ever so slightly, almost unnoticeable, inward. I have tried all the other recommendations for writing with the left hand but to no avail. I guess I have reached the age of just trying to improve my writing and not changing the style I write.

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail