Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, Le & Bespoke

Tom Kellie

Danish-made Montblanc Coral Red 212 EF Nib

~ Montblanc fountain pen use for me tends to split along three lines: sketching, professional writing including marking student papers, and adding small margin notes in books.

Reading has been a major aspect of my life. From my late father I acquired the habit of underscoring words or passages of interest.

Returning to books read long ago is especially pleasurable when re-reading notes I’d made in earlier readings.

For optimal margin note writing, a fountain pen needs an extra fine nib, as needle-like as possible. Minimal ink, yet reliable flow equips a pen for book marking duty.

An additional requirement is met when a pen writes well at different angles, as I often read prone on a sofa, propped up by pillows.

The Platinum Mozart EF pen I use performs well as a book margin note writer. Likewise the two Classique EF nib pens write very well, despite being slightly larger than needed.

For one year I’ve been considering the possibility of another small pen with an EF nib to expand the the options for a book pen.

The clearest option seemed to be another Mozart in another type of precious metal trim. The Mozart has written very well for me, without skipping or laying down too much ink.

About five weeks ago I went through the FPN Classifieds one evening with such a Mozart in mind.

What caught my eye was another pen which fit my requirements with the additional benefit of pleasing design and color.

It was a Danish-made Montblanc 212 in Coral Red with a 14K EF nib. It was comparable to a Mozart in being small enough for comfortable use when writing in small book margins.

Best of all, it was offered by none other than my favorite FPN photographer, farmdogfan. Who knows better about Danish-made Montblancs?

There are a number of practical and logistical considerations about importing fountain pens in the region where I work, therefore it’s necessary to ask trusted friends for assistance.

My close friend, a former student, is a senior software engineer in Silicon Valley with a small daughter and a one year old son.

When I explained the situation to him, he surprised me by insisting on presenting the Montblanc 212 to me as a gift for the Lunar New Year.

Both he and farmdogfan were especially prompt at arranging for the pen to be shipped to California from Denmark.

Everything about the transaction was first-class as farmdogfan is a true gentleman, in addition to being a photographer who inspires me with his superb images.

The pen uses a rubber sac and a button for filling. As I’m unfamiliar with that system, farmdogfan kindly explained it to me and included an extra rubber sac for future use.

The images below show the Montblanc 212 when it arrived earlier today, after a journey from Denmark to California to East Asia, including comparison shots with the Platinum Mozart EF and a Yellow Gold Classique EF.

To my great surprise, the pen arrived in a slim leather holder embossed with ‘Montblanc’ and the Montblanc snow star.

The pen writes extremely well, as shown in the handwriting sample. It’s comfortable to hold, unposted, and doesn’t feel too light.

Denmark was the first European nation I ever visited. Denmark’s recently widowed Queen Margrethe II is an accomplished lady who I’ve long admired.

As a teenager I lived in and around Buenos Aires, Argentina where tango music is a popular staple. My favorite tango, Jalousie, is by Danish composer Jacob Gade. Today I listened to Jalousie, as sung by the talented Caterina Valente.

To write with this lovely example of Danish craftsmanship, a fountain pen which is nearly my age, is a great privilege.

I owe many thanks to my loyal and warm-hearted friend ZHANG Yan for such a splendid gift, and to farmdogfan for making it available in such excellent condition.

At last my desk is no longer restricted to the black pens which have served me well in writing over the past few years.

Tom K.

fpn_1521876978__fedex_from_california.jp

FedEx From California

fpn_1521877033__danish_postage.jpg

Danish Postage

fpn_1521877308__wrapped_tube.jpg

Wrapped Tube

fpn_1521877367__pen_holder_and_extra_rub

Pen Holder and Extra Rubber Sac

fpn_1521877465__first_glimpse_of_the_pen

First Glimpse of the Pen

fpn_1521877482__with_the_extra_rubber_sa

With the Extra Rubber Sac

fpn_1521877558__with_cap_posted.jpg

With Cap Posted

fpn_1521877573__ef_nib.jpg

EF Nib

fpn_1521877751__components.jpg

Components

fpn_1521877799__montblanc_212.jpg

Montblanc 212

fpn_1521877943__mozart_and_212_compariso

Mozart and 212 Comparison

fpn_1521877922__mozart_212_classique.jpg

Mozart, 212, Classique

fpn_1521878356__montblanc_ef_nib_trio.jp

Montblanc EF Nib Trio

fpn_1521878325__212_with_new_friends.jpg

212 With New Friends

fpn_1521878759__212_note.jpg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

~ Following is the updated list with all of the materials from several preceding posts with an addition offered by SergioAA:

• Alligator Leather

• Amber

• Anodized Aluminum

• Anthracite

• Brass

• Carbon Fiber

• Celluloid

• Ceramics

• Citrine

• Coral

• Cowhide Leather

• Damask Steel

• Diamond

• Ebonite

• 750 Gold

• Granite

• Grenadilla Wood

• Hematite

• Jade

• Lacquer

• Lapis Lazuli

• Malachite

• Marble

• Mother-of-pearl

• Pine

• Platinum

• Porcelain

• Red Gold

• Rose Gold

• Rosewood

• Rubber

• Ruthenium

• Sapphire

• Shark Leather

• Stainless Steel

• 925 Sterling Silver

• Tiger-eye

• Titanium

• Vermeil/Silver-gilt

Tom K.

So, one and a half weeks without my Rouge et Noir, estimated to be another four and a half weeks, just to get the nib swapped! Living in Australia sucks some times...

So, one and a half weeks without my Rouge et Noir, estimated to be another four and a half weeks, just to get the nib swapped! Living in Australia sucks some times...

~ GranTorino25:

That six week time for a nib exchange may seem prolonged.

If you're satisfied with the end result that will be great.

I'm sorry that it seems like a long waiting period.

When your Rouge et Noir is returned, a photo of the new nib would be most welcome.

Tom K.

Does anyone happen to have a comparison of an OBB vs. an O3B?

~ yeepers:

While I write with both OBBB and BB nibs, to date I've never yet owned an OBB nib.

I'm sorry to be unable to show the difference for you to consider.

There are others who do write with both. If they visit this thread, they might see your request and reply with a comparison photo to help you.

Tom K.

2001 Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour F Nib

~ Montblanc fountain pens entered my life as a result of a friend’s gift of a Meisterstück 149 with an M nib.

At the time I lacked any awareness of the magnitude of the gift, thinking that it was a black fountain pen, but nothing more.

Decades later I finally inked the gift pen, delighted with the smooth writing and comfortable handling in my fairly large right hand.

More Montblanc fountain pens came to my desk, all in black precious resin with gold or platinum fittings.

Over time, black with metal trim became my mind’s default concept for fountain pens.

The six Parker 51s seemed colorful, despite their fairly muted colors, with gold-filled caps and one with a sterling silver cap.

All of the half dozen vintage Montblanc fountain pens I use are black, which suits me fine, as it’s their nibs which is their primary attraction.

Reading FPN Montblanc Forum posts over several years presented a variety of models with designs far from the black precious resin on my desk.

I admired such pens, but never felt interested in acquiring them as OBBB nibs and Bespoke nibs were of greater interest.

There were three pen designs which appealed to me — the 2000 Writers Edition Friedrich Schiller, the 1994 Patron of Art Louis XIV and the 2001 Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour.

From time to time I’d return to reviews or photos of those three models to enjoy their design and any information about them.

Nevertheless, I wasn’t actively on the hunt for them, aside from an ongoing awareness of the PoA Louis XIV, which has me bewitched to this day.

Six weeks ago two advertisements in the FPN Classifieds offered PoA Marquise de Pompadour pens with F nibs.

One of them was an unused, un-inked pen, which especially interested me. As the one nib size with which I’d never written was Fine, I was intrigued.

When I saw who offered the unused pen, my interest increased. It was long-time FPN member Maine Vintner whose review of the PoA Queen Elizabeth I is a particular favorite of mine.

Maine Vintner graciously replied to my private message with relevant particulars such that the pen was soon on its way to my trusted friend, a researcher with the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland.

My friend arranged for the pen to be safely shipped to the same friend who received the Danish-made Coral Red Montblanc 212 EF described earlier in this thread.

Both pens arrived early this afternoon, triggering several hours of photography on my north-facing kitchen counter, making full use of indirect natural light.

The photo series below shows the unpacking of the pen, the initial images, and a handwriting sample.

As with the splendid Danish-made Coral Red Montblanc 212 EF provided by farmdogfan, the PoA Marquise de Pompadour from Maine Vintner far exceeded my expectations.

I’ve joked that the solemn black precious resin Teutonic gentlemen on my desk now have a lovely French mademoiselle to accompany them.

Throughout my life I’ve been interested in such tactile arts as textiles, blown glassware, silversmithing, wrought-iron, mosaics, ceramics and porcelain.

The Meissen porcelain cap on the pen is substantial, as is the pen itself. There’s nothing flimsy, frothy, or ethereal about such outstanding fountain pen craftsmanship.

Owing to my limited experience, it’s by far the weightiest fountain pen with which I’ve ever written. Naively, I was unaware that fountain pens might have such a solid mass.

The pen’s condition is excellent. The Fine nib writes with a smoothness that’s most welcome. The pen’s mass tends to push the pen along — altogether a pleasant sensation.

I’m especially thrilled that the pen’s number — 4391 — is a prime number. That’s an especially welcome grace note which is wholly unexpected.

All pens on my desk are workhorses. The PoA Marquise de Pompadour is arrayed in gold and porcelain, which won’t interfere in regular use.

The pen is more appealing and more satisfying to use as a writer than I anticipated. The fine nib with fine craftsmanship and Rococo decoration are a fresh direction in my enjoyment of fountain pens.

Tom K.

fpn_1521900325__greatest_showman_shippin

Greatest Showman Shipping Box

fpn_1521900373__bubble-wrapped_inner_box

Bubble-wrapped Inner Box

fpn_1521900417__black_box_label.jpg

Black Box Label

fpn_1521900463__inner_box.jpg

Inner Box

fpn_1521900502__interior_contents.jpg

Interior Contents

fpn_1521900552__first_glimpse_of_the_pen

First Glimpse of the Pen

fpn_1521900596__presentation_box.jpg

Presentation Box

fpn_1521900639__a_prime_number.jpg

A Prime Number

fpn_1521900770__on_the_presentation_box.

On the Presentation Box

fpn_1521900813__writing_instrument.jpg

Writing Instrument

fpn_1521900855__fine_nib.jpg

Fine Nib

fpn_1521900905__ready_to_write.jpg

Ready to Write

fpn_1521900963__2001_patron_of_art_marqu

2001 Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour

fpn_1521901014__patterns.jpg

Patterns

fpn_1521901049__rococo_decoration.jpg

Rococo Decoration

fpn_1521901096__poa_marquise_de_pompadou

PoA Marquise de Pompadour

fpn_1521901149__sepia_rose.jpg

Sepia Rose

fpn_1521901215__meissen_porcelain_symbol

Meissen Porcelain Symbol

fpn_1521901269__pompadour_note.jpg

Wonderful photos of your newest additions! I grade with my Montblanc 149 F - while all my other pens are some multiple of B, I find the F nib perfect for making comments in the margins of student work. (After years of Pelikan Violet ink, I switched to Yama-budo for fun, and now have a new Japanese ink obsession.) I confess I had never liked the Madame de Pompadour until I saw it though your camera's eye, and now I can see its appeal! Love to Zuji ---

ETA: Still waiting on the bespoke story!

Edited by empliau

Did you buy the pen here in Adelaide? I've read from your previous post that the pens bought from that store only came with medium nibs. Was considering buying a Montblanc WE, but the waiting time might actually kill it for me. Did you send the pen back to Germany by post or did you go through the authorised dealer? (assuming you and I are thinking of the same pen store (the only store) here in Adelaide.)

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

40968318701_0532aa3233_b.jpg

Cyrille,

Thanks so much for the wonderful photo of your Coral Heritage 1914. We very seldom get to see this one, which is among the most beautiful Montblanc has ever made. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

Jay

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Congratulations Tom. Great pickup ! I have always had a soft corner for this one esp. since it is a bit of an anomaly in the POA cap designs. F nib makes the acquisition so much sweeter.

Your posts have truly inspired me to start posting in the forum instead of being a silent bystander.

Wonderful photos of your newest additions! I grade with my Montblanc 149 F - while all my other pens are some multiple of B, I find the F nib perfect for making comments in the margins of student work. (After years of Pelikan Violet ink, I switched to Yama-budo for fun, and now have a new Japanese ink obsession.) I confess I had never liked the Madame de Pompadour until I saw it though your camera's eye, and now I can see its appeal! Love to Zuji ---

ETA: Still waiting on the bespoke story!

~ empliau:

Zuji wags his curly tail in happy reply!

There's a major project requiring four handwritten pages. The new F nib will be placed into service to see how it handles.

I'm interested to know that you've been using an F nib for margin notes. That encourages yours truly to try out the F nib for just that.

Bespoke nibs take time.

Often considerable time.

That's in part due to the care and fine-tuning of each nib to fit the owner's preferences. The Hamburg Bespoke Nib Team is first-rate.

There’s very likely to be Bespoke nib news in this thread within a few months.

Thank you for your kind comment about the recently posted images of the PoA Marquise de Pompadour.

The pen is wholly unlike anything in my experience, due to its heft in the form of concentrated mass.

I'm growing to like it, with increased use. It's not at all a froufrou design, but rather classic and restrained.

Tom K.

Did you buy the pen here in Adelaide? I've read from your previous post that the pens bought from that store only came with medium nibs. Was considering buying a Montblanc WE, but the waiting time might actually kill it for me. Did you send the pen back to Germany by post or did you go through the authorised dealer? (assuming you and I are thinking of the same pen store (the only store) here in Adelaide.)

~ AndyLogan:

I'm sorry that the prolonged delay for nib exchanges has a strong impact where you live.

The feeling of waiting is familiar, as here waits are measured in months.

Nevertheless, to obtain the nib of one's preference on a nice WE fountain pen may well be worth the wait.

I hope that you'll be able to work out a satisfactory solution in Adelaide.

Tom K.

Congratulations Tom. Great pickup ! I have always had a soft corner for this one esp. since it is a bit of an anomaly in the POA cap designs. F nib makes the acquisition so much sweeter.

Your posts have truly inspired me to start posting in the forum instead of being a silent bystander.

~ nishantdr83:

Thank you so much!

The cap is indeed distinctive, but not in any sense outlandish.

It's a gentle increase in size which fits with well with the pen design.

Now that it's here, I've been asking myself why I ever hesitated.

It fits the description “writing instrument” about as well as any pen I've ever used.

There's a tautness about it reflecting careful execution of superb design.

The porcelain and gold are striking, but discreetly so. It doesn't seem gaudy or ostentatious.

It's comfortable while writing, not having the abrupt ‘steps’ which Ghost Plane brought to my attention.

Being my first-ever F nib, it's a fresh experience. Writing with it has been pure pleasure from the first words on paper.

There's no buyer's remorse, nor any regrets. Far from it, only gratitude that such a fine instrument sits on my desk.

I'm moved to know that the posts here have had a positive effect. Please do write again, if that's comfortable and convenient for you.

I realize that the continual press of professional responsibilities limits time. Therefore even a few lines is highly welcome.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

fpn_1521958665__lily_brett.jpg

How have I missed this writer? This is exactly how I feel when I pick up a pen. The world falls away and I’m somewhere else.

Tom, congratulations on your two newest pens -- the Danish Coral and the POA Pompadour.The story behind even getting them delivered to your home is interesting by its own right. I will note that we have a daughter living in a suburb of Copenhagen -- Glostrup -- and we always enjoy our time there -- amazing coffee shops -- an iPad, a notebook, and a fountain pen, who could want more? When I first started visiting Denmark about a decade ago, I discovered a wee pen shop -- vintage pens -- in Frederiksburg -- it was closed more often than not but one day the owner was in, he spoke English, and he brought me inside to see his wares. Quite the experience; unfortunately I have not been to this same part of Copenhagen nor do I know if I could find that shop again. Regarding new pens, there is only one stationary shop, in the high-end shopping district, that sells fountain pens, including a nice selection of MB products. I might add, we spend some time in Budapest and my experience has been the same -- twenty years ago it was possible to visit two-three stationary/pen shops, including a MB Boutique, but those days are gone. My new POA Alexander also has a fine nib -- and like your experience -- it is buttery smooth and wet. I like it!