• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As much as I enjoy the beautiful images in this thread, I have to ask - do most of you choose obliques because of the line variation or because you naturally rotate the pen in your grip?

I like OB and wider for the angle of the line variation in my writing. Nothing to do with rotation for me.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

As much as I enjoy the beautiful images in this thread, I have to ask - do most of you choose obliques because of the line variation or because you naturally rotate the pen in your grip?

According to what I read in the info section of Richard's Pens website, obliques are not primarily chosen for their line-width-variation.

The Pelikan OBB that I used daily for more than four decades did produce some line variation. For me, its main purpose was to accommodate the way I held my pen. In fact I did not know at the time that the nib I had was an oblique.

This nib just helped me write better, made my script more presentable. I have looked back at some of the writing that I made with that pen. There is some variation in the lines, but nothing as dramatic as what I can get from a regular cursive italic or from even the occasional stub

After a few years of using regular 90-degree cut italics, I'm finding it very difficult to write with an oblique nib, even though I do tend to rotate my section slightly to the left.

My writing seems to be changing & so is the way I grip my pens (a part of aging I guess). :(

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

i do not rotate the pen in my grip... The way i write looks better with obliques... but writing with it is more or less the same as writing with a stub/cs/italic.

So: Line variation.

The OM from the MB Factory is very thin, in my taste. OB is just perfect.

Line variation. An oblique is simply a stub pointed at a different angle. Let it find the sweet spot on the page, close your fingers around it and write.

That rotation myth kept me away from fabulous pens for far too many years.

Once you get it, ITS GOOOOOD! (As Jim Carey would say)

Here is a sample of the Beatles OB nib. And a comparison to the Oscar Wilde. The pens are about the same length. The Beatles pen has more girth and weight.

post-26193-0-92271100-1519335843_thumb.jpeg

post-26193-0-00953800-1519335983_thumb.jpeg

post-26193-0-17143700-1519336003_thumb.jpeg

Line variation. An oblique is simply a stub pointed at a different angle. Let it find the sweet spot on the page, close your fingers around it and write.

That rotation myth kept me away from fabulous pens for far too many years.

I think the effect an oblique has with regard to line variation depends entirely on writing position, and not just pen rotation in the hand.

Here are a couple of quick examples, showing differences between orientation of hand/arm, paper, and pen rotation. The key to take away is the difference between thick cross-strokes and thick down-strokes when addressing the paper with the hand/arm parallel versus hand/arm angled, relative to the paper.

Personally, I have the paper angled relative to the writing surface, my elbow planted on the desk, and my hand/arm is roughly parallel to the long axis of the paper, with the nib rotated to port side. A change in any one of these will produce a different writing effect. (Note, I've left out any discussion of pen angle relative to the paper, in both elevation and rotation about the point of the nib.)

Hand/arm parallel to paper (notice paper is at 45 degree angle to writing surface), nib rotated.

post-21068-0-36662600-1519343493_thumb.jpg

Hand/arm at 45 degrees to paper (paper at 90 degree to writing surface), nib not rotated (although it appears to be so because of the change in hand/arm position).

post-21068-0-53793500-1519343484_thumb.jpg

The results of each. See the difference in cross-strokes and down-strokes?

post-21068-0-82920700-1519343394_thumb.jpg

I think that the truth of obliques is best summed up by, "Your results may vary!" It all depends on how you write, hold your pen, position your hand/arm, and place the paper on your writing surface.

Edited by jconn

Its tough, but after years of snatching up a new acquisition and immediately writing, Ive decided to savor a short time of reflection. I dont remember seeing another Montblanc nib with a gap, but I am hopeful that since it came directly from Montblanc in Germany it will be good. I bought Shakespeare Red and the Beatles purple and am not sure which to use on the initial run.

I will ink it shortly and see!

Congratulations! I really like this piece, the colors are cheerful they immediately make me smile.

Lately I have been receiving Montblancs with the gap visible when not inked but you no longer see it once you fill it up. They tend to be wetter writers which I personally like. However, if its too much then just very softly push them together (or one over the other then align with a loupe) and youll be good to go.

I think the effect an oblique has with regard to line variation depends entirely on writing position, and not just pen rotation in the hand.

Here are a couple of quick examples, showing differences between orientation of hand/arm, paper, and pen rotation. The key to take away is the difference between thick cross-strokes and thick down-strokes when addressing the paper with the hand/arm parallel versus hand/arm angled, relative to the paper.

Personally, I have the paper angled relative to the writing surface, my elbow planted on the desk, and my hand/arm is roughly parallel to the long axis of the paper, with the nib rotated to port side. A change in any one of these will produce a different writing effect. (Note, I've left out any discussion of pen angle relative to the paper, in both elevation and rotation about the point of the nib.)

Hand/arm parallel to paper (notice paper is at 45 degree angle to writing surface), nib rotated.

0222181735_HDR.jpg

Hand/arm at 45 degrees to paper (paper at 90 degree to writing surface), nib not rotated (although it appears to be so because of the change in hand/arm position).

0222181735a_HDR.jpg

The results of each. See the difference in cross-strokes and down-strokes?

0222181735 - Copy2.jpg

I think that the truth of obliques is best summed up by, "Your results may vary!" It all depends on how you write, hold your pen, position your hand/arm, and place the paper on your writing surface.

You have summed up my experience well. I tend to like the style of the top half of script best, but I write as shown on the bottom half. So there is no need for oblique for me, as my writing angle gives the top style with a non-oblique.

However as stated here, the Montblanc obliques do seem to give a little more line variation than their non-oblique counterparts (at least on average, as they are all hand finished, so vary a bit). This gives them an additional appeal if that is what you are looking for.

You have summed up my experience well. I tend to like the style of the top half of script best, but I write as shown on the bottom half. So there is no need for oblique for me, as my writing angle gives the top style with a non-oblique.

However as stated here, the Montblanc obliques do seem to give a little more line variation than their non-oblique counterparts (at least on average, as they are all hand finished, so vary a bit). This gives them an additional appeal if that is what you are looking for.

See, I'm the opposite; I write like the top example. I had to strain to write the 2nd way shown. Guess that means obliques for me!

See, I'm the opposite; I write like the top example. I had to strain to write the 2nd way shown. Guess that means obliques for me!

Sure, but only if you like the line variation at the angle they help you get.

Y all are way more analytical than me. I just grab them and write any which way. Ooohhhh pretty!

Often the best way.

"How can it be wrong when it feels so right". A philosophy that has given me plenty of memorable and questionable moments...

Once you get it, ITS GOOOOOD! (As Jim Carey would say)

Here is a sample of the Beatles OB nib. And a comparison to the Oscar Wilde. The pens are about the same length. The Beatles pen has more girth and weight.

~ Brad7k:

Thank you for the image of your Beatles OB alongside your Oscar Wilde.
The handwriting sample looks great, showing its excellent writing qualities.
I had no idea that the Beatles pen was so substantial.
Tom K.

I finally, after nearly 2 months, got my 1912 back! Oblique Broad nib on Souten ink.

While some say the MOP cap could be better, i dont know... this is my first MOP. And i love it!

Some words on the background.

~ Reed_thoughts:

Gotta love seeing a second OB nib presented this week.

Your 1912 OB looks splendid.

The mother of pearl Montblanc star stands out on my computer screen.

Thank you for presenting it here with a handwriting sample.

Tom K.