• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my experience with the limited editions, specially maecenas, which is heavy, is that with use the hands get used to them. When they are heavy they are also great to be let Alone to write. They just move with your hand guiding them, and their weight presses against the paper.

~ Reed_thoughts:

It's useful to know your experience in writing with your PoA Gaius Maecenas.

Yours truly has never written with such a massive pen, therefore didn't realize that there's a certain momentum which influences the pen's motion.

You've shown your Gaius Maecenas before. May we invite a reappearance, if that'd be convenient?

It's an especially attractive pen which merits greater exposure.

Tom K.

fpn_1518877408__double_comment.png

~ Ghost Plane and Cyrille:

You're both teaching me about the value of writing with pens having greater mass.

It's comparable to certain aspects of polar icebreakers which add heavy mass in the bow to bear down on ice sheets, to a certain degree carried forward under their own momentum.

All of my Montblanc pens are fairly light black precious resin. The weightiest pen on my desk would be any one of the 149s.

Not ever having written with any pen incorporating a significant amount of metal, I'm unfamiliar with the phenomenon which both of you and Reed_thoughts have described.

During the past few days I've thoroughly enjoyed extensively writing with the newly arrived mid-century 24s and 32s, which are featherweights in my fingers.

As I've had no trouble adapting to writing with such low mass pens, it must be an altogether different experience to write with a more substantial pen, such as you both use.

BTW: It does my heart good to read discussion involving Montblanc Patron of Art Limited Edition pens, such as the Gaius Maecenas which Reed_thoughts writes with, as their beauty and cultural links are a highlight of Montblanc's offerings.

Tom K.

Let me share the 149, and the other special editions, minus UNICEF which is not in range at the moment...

I'm weighing them capless because that's how you write! Lol

I'll post all the pics in a bit. It's giving me an error message on my phone. I'll go to my computer in 30 mins or so.

Here my little contribution to this stunnig discussion thread - these are a couple of my currently inked F or EF nibs:

fpn_1518884616__img_2359.jpg

fpn_1518884916__img_2361.jpg

fpn_1518877408__double_comment.png

~ Ghost Plane and Cyrille:

You're both teaching me about the value of writing with pens having greater mass.

It's comparable to certain aspects of polar icebreakers which add heavy mass in the bow to bear down on ice sheets, to a certain degree carried forward under their own momentum.

All of my Montblanc pens are fairly light black precious resin. The weightiest pen on my desk would be any one of the 149s.

Not ever having written with any pen incorporating a significant amount of metal, I'm unfamiliar with the phenomenon which both of you and Reed_thoughts have described.

During the past few days I've thoroughly enjoyed extensively writing with the newly arrived mid-century 24s and 32s, which are featherweights in my fingers.

As I've had no trouble adapting to writing with such low mass pens, it must be an altogether different experience to write with a more substantial pen, such as you both use.

BTW: It does my heart good to read discussion involving Montblanc Patron of Art Limited Edition pens, such as the Gaius Maecenas which Reed_thoughts writes with, as their beauty and cultural links are a highlight of Montblanc's offerings.

Tom K.

For me it is the opposite :) I just have my 149 in black precious resin in fountain pen, my other fountain pens are all limited editions so pretty heavy in opposition with the 149. I'm always surprised when I write with my 149 or my Aurora.

fpn_1518887060__l_s.jpg

Thank you for your too generous comment! Like many others, I have been inspired by you. :)

This particular Cross model – the Peerless AK 47 – has indeed a couple of interesting peculiarities (and I apologize for the out-of-Montblanc-topic excursus !): to quote the press release, "Fonderie 47 is an organization founded with the aim of removing AK-47s (and other small arms) from circulation in Africa. They fund this by creating works of art out of the very rifles they destroy. In association with Cross, the Peerless Fonderie AK47 has been developed. The design is inspired by elements of the weapon, with a gunmetal PVD finish and 23K gold-plated appointments. The cap is topped by a disc made from melted-down AK-47 steel and engraved with the unique serial number of the rifle removed from circulation. The purchase of one of these pens will enable the destruction of one more assault weapon in Africa". The Cross Peerless AK47 is only available as a rollerball / fineliner pen, but luckily it is possible to buy a nib unit separately… and precisely this was my decisive reason for the purchase, since the nibs for the "Peerless" model are manufactured by Sailor (and I have yet to find a betterFine nib!).

For me it is the opposite :) I just have my 149 in black precious resin in fountain pen, my other fountain pens are all limited editions so pretty heavy in opposition with the 149. I'm always surprised when I write with my 149 or my Aurora.

~ Cyrille:

Your situation is indeed the opposite of mine.

After regularly writing with your beautiful but comparatively massive Montblanc Limited Editions, the 149 must feel like a quill pen.

If a heavier pen, e.g. a Limited Edition, ever arrives at my desk, it will be an entirely fresh writing experience.

Both Reed_thoughts and Ghost Plane have written that writing with heavier pens is comfortable, with the mass more or less driving itself.

Please feel most cordially welcome to once again post any images of your Limited Editions, as they add high quality to this thread.

Tom K.

Thank you for your too generous comment! Like many others, I have been inspired by you. :)

This particular Cross model – the Peerless AK 47 – has indeed a couple of interesting peculiarities (and I apologize for the out-of-Montblanc-topic excursus !): to quote the press release, "Fonderie 47 is an organization founded with the aim of removing AK-47s (and other small arms) from circulation in Africa. They fund this by creating works of art out of the very rifles they destroy. In association with Cross, the Peerless Fonderie AK47 has been developed. The design is inspired by elements of the weapon, with a gunmetal PVD finish and 23K gold-plated appointments. The cap is topped by a disc made from melted-down AK-47 steel and engraved with the unique serial number of the rifle removed from circulation. The purchase of one of these pens will enable the destruction of one more assault weapon in Africa". The Cross Peerless AK47 is only available as a rollerball / fineliner pen, but luckily it is possible to buy a nib unit separately… and precisely this was my decisive reason for the purchase, since the nibs for the "Peerless" model are manufactured by Sailor (and I have yet to find a betterFine nib!).

~ A1979:

It's very kind of you to offer such welcome encouragement.

What you've carefully explained about the Cross Peerless AK 47 is of special interest to me.

For professional reasons — field observation of predators in remote locations — yours truly has visited Africa more than one dozen times in recent years.

The series of multi-week safaris and stays intensified my regard for Africa as an especially lovely continent.

The conflicts between rival groups have marred what is otherwise a strikingly lovely part of the globe.

Mille Grazie for sharing the background information for the work of Fonderie 47.

Such a project is deeply worthwhile. I'm so glad that you've brought it to our attention in this thread.

The Sailor nib sounds like an optimal choice. Again, your image of the sleek black pens adds energy to this thread.

Con Apprezzamento,

Tom K.

fpn_1519056453__small.png

Tremor

~ Every once in awhile, life comes together in an especially sweet way. Not all that often, but it happens. This evening such a confluence of joy occurred for me.

The times above are the arrival times of three e-mails, which popped into my e-mail box within a span of less than two hours.

They all concern Montblanc fountain pens...and all in a positive sense. I've been unable to stop smiling since receiving them.

• One confirms shipment of a lovely pen.

• One announces the gift of another lovely pen.

• One shows photos of a special order lovely pen.

Within the next month or two all of these are likely to be presented here.

I'm over the Moon with happiness. Zuji senses it, becoming active despite the late hour.

Tom K.

Well, Fountain pens are for patient people. I'll just sit here and wait until there are pictures to share.

fpn_1519069563__patient.jpg

I bought an antique wood writing desk this weekend, and set about to segregate my pens and writing accoutrements to one desk, and put my computer and technology accoutrements on the other.

Now, I have two desks, side by side, each with their own purpose, a mix of old world and new. Now I have to figure out a how to keep the cat off the writing desk so I can leave pens sitting out on these nifty Montblanc display stands without worrying about Felix knocking them asunder.

post-21068-0-53564300-1519098791_thumb.jpg

Edited by jconn