I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

9 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

Everything got here today, pen (see the “I got this pen today” thread), notebook, notepads, and sampler. 

IMG_0086.jpeg

Wow what a haul...  I feel like I'd better order something... 😀

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, USG said:

Wow what a haul...  I feel like I'd better order something... 😀

Jetpens only has 2 of the samplers left in stock.

Top 5 of 24 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

5 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

Jetpens only has 2 of the samplers left in stock.

....and if/when they sell, they will make more!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

On 5/23/2023 at 3:01 AM, Stompie said:

Purchased on Amazon - 320 pages. Not used yet so no idea how it will react to fountain pens/dip nibs

Journal cover.jpg

Journal size.jpg

Another question about this book.  I know you said 320 "pages", and the Amazon description says the same thing, but that looks much thicker than 320.  Personally I think a leaf of paper has two pages: front and back, (or recto and verso).  Some people don't use pages that way though.  Is this instead 320 leaves (for 740 of what I call a page)?  Or is it really 320 pages and the paper is just thicker than I am used to?

@XYZZY This is an excellent question. I think the language should be sheets vs pages. One sheet would be two pages. With a Field Notes notebook, it has 48 pages on the cover. But if you count, there are 24 sheets.  

Posted Image

5 hours ago, XYZZY said:

Another question about this book.  I know you said 320 "pages", and the Amazon description says the same thing, but that looks much thicker than 320.  Personally I think a leaf of paper has two pages: front and back, (or recto and verso).  Some people don't use pages that way though.  Is this instead 320 leaves (for 740 of what I call a page)?  Or is it really 320 pages and the paper is just thicker than I am used to?

Yes, it is 320 sheets that makes 720 pages

5 hours ago, Misfit said:

@XYZZY This is an excellent question. I think the language should be sheets vs pages. One sheet would be two pages. With a Field Notes notebook, it has 48 pages on the cover. But if you count, there are 24 sheets.  

I agree. +1  🙂 👍

1 hour ago, XYZZY said:

Funny how neither of us can do math. 320 x 2  is... 🤦‍♂️

Hahahaha  🤪

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

4 hours ago, XYZZY said:

Yup, I’d say 640

Posted Image

I ordered a Dingbats flip top notebook in green with a deer on the cover.  

Posted Image

On 6/7/2023 at 4:54 AM, XYZZY said:

🤣😂🤣

the box says 360 sheets = 720 pages!

Got this lot yesterday for using as my reading book notes https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=386CK0VAXSM3C&K=2QVECO7DPJ9XS&M=urn:rtn:msg:20230606102022dc7d5e4a73a049b6bbf179c65920p0eu&R=1I9OJ4UYT9AVQ&T=C&U=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fdp%2FB087FT7PRK%3Fref_%3Dpe_27063361_487360311_302_E_DDE_dt_1&H=OVT0HEBLBZHGCW0CA4F9UZHRVQCA&ref_=pe_27063361_487360311_302_E_DDE_dt_1

For a mere £12 for 2 notebooks. it is a bargain. The paper is 100 gsm and works well with my fountain pens. It has an index, sticky notes and a back pocket.

Then, I have these in the post to me. I got these for a number of reasons - Local store/manufacturer - the paper is recycled coffee cups! I had to give them a try!

https://coffeenotes.shop/

Order summary

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.shopify.com%2Fs%2Ffiles%2F1%2F0612%2F7357%2F1560%2Fproducts%2Fwiro_front_espresso_medio_watchstrap_compact_cropped.jpg%3Fv%3D1685535263&t=1686209726&ymreqid=448ce083-1dbd-0c89-1c76-de0014017600&sig=QGvnFvQS53.VfqqprJ_q8w--~D Cafe Wirebound Notebook × 1
Espresso / Medio

£15.00

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.shopify.com%2Fs%2Ffiles%2F1%2F0612%2F7357%2F1560%2Fproducts%2Fwiro_front_azzuro_medio_watchstrap_compact_cropped.jpg%3Fv%3D1685544801&t=1686209726&ymreqid=448ce083-1dbd-0c89-1c76-de0014017600&sig=bSbjZG90OTKI.jjQ8eOhlQ--~D Vibrant Wirebound Notebook × 1
Azzuro / Medio

£15.00

All of these arrived at once from Amazon Japan yesterday morning:

large.Newarrivalson2023-06-09fromAmazonJapan.jpg.fd1af372087f14760f04e55e970ca7d5.jpg

which is a helluva lot of cardboard for the payload to which they distilled:

large.Newarrivalson2023-06-09fromAmazonJapanstripped.jpg.0646f8ece74f8796fc296b8f4d30f861.jpg

Instead of Amazon paying six lots of shipping charges from its end, I'd really have preferred it to ship all of that in a carefully packed shipping carton with appropriate use of void fill material, and pay the equivalent of half or maybe just a third of the shipping charges due ECMS Express or whoever.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

12 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

which is a helluva lot of cardboard for what the payload to which they distilled:

Ah yes, but very nice payload it is.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

All of these arrived at once from Amazon Japan yesterday morning:

large.Newarrivalson2023-06-09fromAmazonJapan.jpg.fd1af372087f14760f04e55e970ca7d5.jpg

which is a helluva lot of cardboard for the payload to which they distilled:

large.Newarrivalson2023-06-09fromAmazonJapanstripped.jpg.0646f8ece74f8796fc296b8f4d30f861.jpg

Instead of Amazon paying six lots of shipping charges from its end, I'd really have preferred it to ship all of that in a carefully packed shipping carton with appropriate use of void fill material, and pay the equivalent of half or maybe just a third of the shipping charges due ECMS Express or whoever.

Your suggestion is logical and efficient. Keep in mind though, that each of the items may have come from a different warehouse/location thus negating your practical action.

A recent (yesterday) comic strip here in the U.S. also made a valid point which, I suspect, many of us have directly experienced...

Check it out HERE

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

And what a great point that is :D

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

I don't know how they rationalize that packaging, it's often confusing and sometimes frustrating.  But I don't doubt that Amazon has some rationale for why that was the best and most cost effective way (for them) to package and ship it.  I'd love to learn about the algorithm and see some sample inputs, but I'm sure that is something they consider a trade secret.

My Coffee Notes notebooks arrived today! I ink tested them with various pens because, well, I had my doubts as it is recycled paper - BUT, no feathering, no bleeding, no show through! Perfect for me no matter what pen I use!

coffeenotes1.jpg

coffeenotes2.jpg

coffeenotes3.jpg

56 minutes ago, Stompie said:

My Coffee Notes notebooks arrived today! I ink tested them with various pens because, well, I had my doubts as it is recycled paper - BUT, no feathering, no bleeding, no show through! Perfect for me no matter what pen I use!

coffeenotes1.jpg

coffeenotes2.jpg

coffeenotes3.jpg

Is the paper a "bright" white or more off-white?

Does it have even the faintest aroma of coffee?

If it does, I know several people who would totally love to use it.

Thanks for the posting and continued enjoyment...

1 hour ago, Gloucesterman said:

Is the paper a "bright" white or more off-white?

Does it have even the faintest aroma of coffee?

If it does, I know several people who would totally love to use it.

Thanks for the posting and continued enjoyment...

It is off white.

I assume as the paper has been washed it does not bear any coffee stains nor does it smell of coffee, sadly!

PS, I am not going to count the pages/sheets 😂

Something I just noticed, the covers are double leaves.

Smug Dill-

I have to laugh at your multiple packages from Amazon Japan, all arriving the same day.  Back when it was the sweet spot for getting items from the seller Amazon Japan on amazon.com I ordered maybe 40 ink bottles, Taccia & Sailor.  Each and every one was sent DHL, usually one bottle per package, the same packaging you received.  It took over a month for them all to arrive.