I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

2 hours ago, dragondazd said:

Man! So classy. 

Why is ledger always so expensive?

To my knowledge, many of the true business ledgers use archival paper and have especially secure binding.

Unlike typical notebooks, most (professional) business ledgers are expected to last a long time/indefinitely.

That would be my thought...

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gave in to my predilections and ordered 2 Midori to-do list memo pads, one with penguins, the other with birds, from Jetpens. In order to hit free shipping, I added the Fountain Pen Friendly paper sampler. I forgot to add the Cosmo Air Snow that @USG recommends, so it’s on my list for whenever I order again or make my way to Kinokuniya.

Top 5 of 24 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

4 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

I gave in to my predilections and ordered 2 Midori to-do list memo pads, one with penguins, the other with birds, from Jetpens. In order to hit free shipping, I added the Fountain Pen Friendly paper sampler. I forgot to add the Cosmo Air Snow that @USG recommends, so it’s on my list for whenever I order again or make my way to Kinokuniya.

Let me know how the Sampler works out.  What papers do you like the best and why?  

LOL how could you forget Cosmo Snow?  Haha, Wait till you see what it does for some of your pens and inks. 😁

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

15 minutes ago, USG said:

Let me know how the Sampler works out.  What papers do you like the best and why?  

LOL how could you forget Cosmo Snow?  Haha, Wait till you see what it does for some of your pens and inks. 😁

It’s that darned jazzy joint pain medicine.

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

3 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

It’s that darned jazzy joint pain medicine.

LOL,  Joint pain bad, joint pain medicine good !!!!!! 🤪

Btw, have you written on Onion Skin?  When I was comparing the Tomoe River paper in the Kanso booklet to the Sanzen 52gsm Tomoe River paper, the booklet paper had an onion-skinish kind of translucent look and a more 'crinkly' stiff feel (that made me think of onion skin), compared to the flat look of the Sanzen paper.  I don't recall writing on onion skin but I'm pretty sure I've seen some around here... so I'm going to look for it and see how it writes.

1 hour ago, USG said:

have you written on Onion Skin? 

Ah the memories!  Onion skin paper was the air mail writing paper of decades ago.  I suspect there may even be a pad or a partial pad of it buried deep amongst the old odds and sods I have in storage.  I didn't think they still made it, and was surprised to see that Amazon carries it.

2 hours ago, USG said:

LOL,  Joint pain bad, joint pain medicine good !!!!!! 🤪

Btw, have you written on Onion Skin?  When I was comparing the Tomoe River paper in the Kanso booklet to the Sanzen 52gsm Tomoe River paper, the booklet paper had an onion-skinish kind of translucent look and a more 'crinkly' stiff feel (that made me think of onion skin), compared to the flat look of the Sanzen paper.  I don't recall writing on onion skin but I'm pretty sure I've seen some around here... so I'm going to look for it and see how it writes.

Yes- when I was a very wee penguin,  like 7 or so, my eldest cousin was in university, and worked at the uni bookstore part time. The students were required to use onionskin for papers and the bookstore sold it by weight.  My dad would give her money and she would buy me vanilla fudge and onionskin paper. This memory was long buried until you asked that question. There was a sound  that only onionskin would make when used and my sister would say it smelled.

1 hour ago, Penguincollector said:

There was a sound  that only onionskin would make when used and my sister would say it smelled.

Smelled like?  Smelled like onions?

Posted Image

1 minute ago, Misfit said:

Smelled like?  Smelled like onions?

Yes

4 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

Yes

Wow!  I did not know that. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

Wow!  I did not know that. 

It was very faint, but definitely onion. I didn’t mind it.

I’ve been buying all the RayMay clam cases. My first was yellow. Then I got purple.  Blue came back in stock, so I got it. Now navy and pink are on order because they came back in stock. I really like the style of these cases. A good description is they open like a briefcase. I can see using them for travel. They could hold phone charging cords, pens and pencils, makeup, variety. 

Oh, washi tape, they could definitely hold several rolls. 

Posted Image

8 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

It was very faint, but definitely onion. I didn’t mind it.

Currently my shelf holds almost two reams on vintage onionskin paper. 9#, I think.

No onion smell that my nose can detect.

It takes FP ink quite well with the exception of a somewhat extended drying time.

It will be available for sale at the Commonwealth Pen Show here in Boston in September.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

1 hour ago, Gloucesterman said:

Currently my shelf holds almost two reams on vintage onionskin paper. 9#, I think.

It takes FP ink quite well with the exception of a somewhat extended drying time.

It will be available for sale at the Commonwealth Pen Show here in Boston in September.

It wasn’t vintage at the time, but new and rather fresh, as it was a requirement for term papers  sold in a university bookstore. It was faint then, we just happen to have sensitive noses. 

2 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

I used to like to type on onionskin paper because it was easier to erase mistakes than on regular typing paper.  I agree with you about the smell. There was none - which is what you would expect since no onions were used in its manufacture. 

So aggravating... I can't find my onion skin... I know it's somewhere....

But I found Vellum... very slippery translucent stuff. 

So I did some research and found that my childhood memory is extremely fallible and onionskin is not actually onion but does have a smell associated with it. What that smell actually is, I don’t know. But there was a smell, and my sister really did complain about it. In my defense, it was at least 40 years ago.

My grandmother's letters that were handwritten on that old crinkled onionskin paper (70+ years ago) still smell of her favorite cigarettes. I don't mind it. That was just the way it was for us back then.

Tommy

1 hour ago, tommym said:

My grandmother's letters that were handwritten on that old crinkled onionskin paper (70+ years ago) still smell of her favorite cigarettes. I don't mind it. That was just the way it was for us back then.

Tommy

Aww. Le recherche de temps perdu.

Everything got here today, pen (see the “I got this pen today” thread), notebook, notepads, and sampler. 

IMG_0086.jpeg