I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

So instead, I'll just say that I love the smell of paper (especially paperback novels).

I bought a Hoboniche Techo Planner to try for my 2018 bullet journal even though I hate how thin the paper is. :huh: I have sketchbooks and drawing pencils (including watercolor pencils) and such in case I ever learn to draw - I doodle with them now and again.

Anywho, nice to know I'm not alone in my notebook neuroses.

Last month I apparently insulted a librarian when I said I liked the smell of books. He jumped on me and said "Paper doesn't have a smell! If you smell something it's mold and we don't have mold here!!!" Okay. Not sure what sterile environment he's been in his whole life, but yes as far as I can tell, paper and books do have a scent.

I found when using my Hobonichi Techo Cousin planner, a pencil board is essential for writing on the thin Tomoe paper so I don't imprint the next several pages. Makes for a firmer writing surface too. Took a few days for me to get used to the thin paper so I didn't crinkle them when handling the pages, but I really like the paper now (crinkled or bent pages in a notebook annoy me). In a pinch, J. Herbin blotter paper works well too.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last month I apparently insulted a librarian when I said I liked the smell of books. He jumped on me and said "Paper doesn't have a smell! If you smell something it's mold and we don't have mold here!!!" Okay. Not sure what sterile environment he's been in his whole life, but yes as far as I can tell, paper and books do have a scent.

:rolleyes: I think he's inured to the smell of paper (or the printing or binding process or whatever it is). I love the smell of fresh new paperbacks. (And computer equipment.)

Don't know much about this chain. Do they keep much stationery? I will be in Sydney in a couple of weeks.

The one in Campbelltown has a couple of racks of mixed assorted stationery. Sometimes I find some Rhodia stuff there, and the other day I found an A4 Calligraphe notebook by Clairefontaine for $4. It's very hit and miss.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

:rolleyes: I think he's inured to the smell of paper (or the printing or binding process or whatever it is). I love the smell of fresh new paperbacks. (And computer equipment.)

So, I just had to check.

Two new books (Chrissy pressies, including an SF Masterworks reprint of a Walter M Miller book) - definite "New Book" smell

Various old books, going back to 1960, some of which had spent some time in the tropics - various smells, including that 'fungus' smell.

Old pulp paperbacks had a different smell from similar age glossy paper textbooks. Presumably the rough surface allowed in more spores. But the old pulp books had that beige colour of aged paper, while the glossy paper didn't.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Two new books (Chrissy pressies, including an SF Masterworks reprint of a Walter M Miller book) - definite "New Book" smell

Various old books, going back to 1960, some of which had spent some time in the tropics - various smells, including that 'fungus' smell.

Old pulp paperbacks had a different smell from similar age glossy paper textbooks. Presumably the rough surface allowed in more spores. But the old pulp books had that beige colour of aged paper, while the glossy paper didn't.

I really like this about notebooks and book, the fact that you never know what kind of smell you're going to be hit with until you open them up close.

By the way, my new Fabriano notepad has a subtle but lovely smell. It's a mix of glue and those detergents used to clean the paper in the factory.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

I bought a notebook from the Japanese wannabe Chinese store Miniso. Label says 80 g paper. It is so far fountain pen ink friendly. None of the inks I tried bleedthough.

So... close to the most exciting day of the year - other people make resolutions and get excited about New Year's Day, but for stationery-junkies it's New Diary Day! :D

Happy New Diary Day to everyone here! What did you choose?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I never call them a diary as i dont keep diary style notes but i bought DiaryFlex journals 100gm 18.2 x 10.4 cm 160 pg with light dot grid.acid free. This is about the best paper i have ever used. Made in Germany. Hahnemuhle. Tried one and immediately bought 8 more.

I never call them a diary as i dont keep diary style notes but i bought DiaryFlex journals 100gm 18.2 x 10.4 cm 160 pg with light dot grid.acid free. This is about the best paper i have ever used. Made in Germany. Hahnemuhle. Tried one and immediately bought 8 more.

Thanks for the tip. I will give one a try. As for my diary, I'm sticking with Hobonichi this year, and my resolution is to be more consistent with it.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I bought dot grid and plain page Hahnemuhle notebooks. A cover is sold separately but isnt absolutely needed. I have the cover. I have a lifetime of notebooks. And inks and pens. I actually walked away from some favorite notebooks on a good sale.

For my 2018 bullet journal I use Fabriano Ocra, cut into two A5 pages and punched for a ring binder.

For my 2018 normal journal, just another Fabriano EcoQua. I chickened out on trying a local manufacturer's notebook, which I'll keep as a spare.

My planner for 2018 is the same as it has been since 1986. Franklin system. I have every page of every year still. I keep three months in it at a time. Prior, current, next.

I recently finished off and picked up a new A4 Black N Red wirebound.

I have some Rhodia (grid, blank, dot) in A4 and blank in A5, also 100 or so sheets of Tomoe River and a pad of Basildon Bond.

I'll need to replace both the A5 Rhodia and a A5 Leuchtturm notebook soon. I have never had issues with the paper in mine. Even with fat wet pens and inks. The one I have is 30-50 pages short of complete.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

To be a stationery junkie you have to be a user. If you put that notebook in a closet and don't write in it, you are a hoarder.

So make entries in those journals. Your descendants and future historians will be grateful.

The hole puncher I've purchased doesn't punch in A5 as the comments had originally led me to believe. I'm starting to consider using the notebook made by the local manufacturer as my 2018 bullet journal.

Damn you, wacky European 4-hole A5 ring binders!

To be a stationery junkie you have to be a user. If you put that notebook in a closet and don't write in it, you are a hoarder.

So make entries in those journals. Your descendants and future historians will be grateful.

I've written for three days straight so far--that's pretty good for me. Emptied one OMAS pen doing it.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

So... close to the most exciting day of the year - other people make resolutions and get excited about New Year's Day, but for stationery-junkies it's New Diary Day! :D

Happy New Diary Day to everyone here! What did you choose?

I write in my journal sporadically. When I used a webnotebook (192 pages), it would last about a year, but last time I got a Seven Seas Writer (480 pages). Last year was my second year with it, and I'll get at least part way through a third year with it. This is a good thing from a shelf-space perspective, but sadly I do not get to start a new journal this year. :mellow: Next time I think I'll get something with fewer pages.

On the other hand, I did get a new Techo planner for 2018 so I do have something new to write in. I do like to write about the prior and coming years around this time.

Edited by vjones

Its even worse for me. I'm a user hoarder. 6 or 8 notebooks on the go and hundreds in the wardrobe. OMG - it's worse than I thought.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Its even worse for me. I'm a user hoarder. 6 or 8 notebooks on the go and hundreds in the wardrobe. OMG - it's worse than I thought.

Why, that just means that you enjoy the best of both worlds. Be a user-hoarder, and proud!

By the way, I just imagined you slumbering on a hoard of notebooks, à-la-Smaug.

Why do you store so many anyway? Isn't it more fun to use them?

Maybe it's because I'm so new to the world of high quality paper but I can't resist, I use three or four notepads at the same time. I love comparing the paper, and using multiple brands or types of pads/notebooks simultaneously reassures me that I have enough as backup if one runs out of sheets.

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks

Why, that just means that you enjoy the best of both worlds. Be a user-hoarder, and proud!

By the way, I just imagined you slumbering on a hoard of notebooks, à-la-Smaug.

Why do you store so many anyway? Isn't it more fun to use them?

Maybe it's because I'm so new to the world of high quality paper but I can't resist, I use three or four notepads at the same time. I love comparing the paper, and using multiple brands or types of pads/notebooks simultaneously reassures me that I have enough as backup if one runs out of sheets.

Cannot believe you asked me that! Please don't try and bring logic into this thread. :o

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png