I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

4 hours ago, Mechanical said:

@Misfit I have to warn you at my branch, they had grid, dots, and lined.  They had other brands that looked pretty darn nice... maybe some of Italian origin as well.  Steel yourself!

Oh well, if I go, I have to buy something, or what’s the point in driving to the nearest B&N? I need to use the notebooks I buy, that’s my issue. Well, and I’m not made of money 

Glad you joined us here. It’s nice to learn about new notebooks with Tomoe paper. 

Posted Image

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Misfit said:

Oh well, if I go, I have to buy something, or what’s the point in driving to the nearest B&N? I

I’m pretty sure you’ll be rewarded for your effort. 🙂

Having not heard of the brand before, I checked out their website at goodinkpressions.com and they also make undated planners and Filofax refills.   Some of the products can be sized for Hobonichi Weeks, Passport, Personal, as well as A5, A6, etc.   I am not going to be tempted by this. Not tempted! I definitely won’t be looking up in the attic for my old Filofax binder.  That nice leather binder with its special pockets, and slide-in rulers, and tabbed dividers…

Currently most used pen:  Parker 51 (F) - R&K Salix

20 hours ago, Mechanical said:

I don't need any new notebooks at present.  If all paper production were to stop, world wide, I'd still be in good shape for the remainder of my years.

And yet...  I was perusing the nearby Barnes and Noble, shuffling through detective novels, flipping through LPs, and very nearly buying a Criterion edition of La Belle et la Bête.  In short, I was simply an ordinary shopper, until I noticed a shelf of notebooks in the distance.  A hypnotic wave passed over me, and I found myself suddenly standing in the checkout line, holding two A5 notebooks -- one half-year Stalogy and one goodInkpressions Tomoe River 5x5 grid.large.BN-Notebooks.jpg.662a426f9dc3ee2381367cf984586094.jpg

These are now at the top of my overladen shelf of unused notebooks, pads, planners, and paper.  I make no guarantee, I won't head back and pick up a few more.

Yes, B&N is the only place in North America still have 68gsm tomoe river notebooks in stock. I bought all 68gsm left on the shelf a few weeks ago...

book.thumb.jpg.cdc549443209d8aca7895360594b6079.jpg

13 hours ago, Misfit said:

what’s the point in driving to the nearest B&N?

Because tomoe river as a paper company, does not exist any more. Sanzen acquired tomoe river in 2019 but they only did 52gsm paper trial production and then stopped.

68gsm tomoe river paper is extremely rare now. I tried on Amazon Japan, and they put me on waiting list for a year and then quit. All you can get is Sanzen 52gsm paper.

@dbs oh I agree with you. Of course it’s worth going for Tomoe paper. I’ll have to plan an outing to the closest B&N. Sadly it’s small, and has no Starbucks cafe. But that’s ok. 

Posted Image

6 hours ago, Mechanical said:

I am not going to be tempted by this. Not tempted! I definitely won’t be looking up in the attic for my old Filofax binder.  That nice leather binder with its special pockets, and slide-in rulers, and tabbed dividers…

I think you just talked yourself into a trip to the attic, then a visit to the good inkpressions website.

Posted Image

6 hours ago, Misfit said:

@Sailor Kenshin that’s a hard swear to uphold… everything. I wish you good luck. 

Thanks, @Misfit!  Thanks to those videos, I already 'broke training' with a bottle of Kaweco ink.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

35 minutes ago, Mechanical said:

Watching these videos, I’m already wondering why I don’t have brushes… 

Or amazing glass dip pens.

The paper that @amberleadavis sent including writing samples with various nibs and inks.

That Good Inkpressions looks interesting. Wonder if the new B & N that opened in May carries it. Might be a good excuse to drop by.

20240807_214321.jpg

20240807_214120.jpg

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I fell into the trap of bulk buying for sAvInGs. As I was writing to my pen pal (singular), I looked at my Life Bank Paper Pad (at least 80 sheets remaining) and thought, “I have no backups!” Of course, I started browsing Nanami Paper’s website and saw the Tomoe River 68gsm lined notepads (I like lined paper) for $9 each, which is much less expensive than Life Bank Paper. THEN. I saw that if you bought 12, it would come out to $6 each. A bargain!!!

So now I have a box of paper pads and a want for pen pals.

3 minutes ago, ridiculopathy said:

I fell into the trap of bulk buying for sAvInGs. As I was writing to my pen pal (singular), I looked at my Life Bank Paper Pad (at least 80 sheets remaining) and thought, “I have no backups!” Of course, I started browsing Nanami Paper’s website and saw the Tomoe River 68gsm lined notepads (I like lined paper) for $9 each, which is much less expensive than Life Bank Paper. THEN. I saw that if you bought 12, it would come out to $6 each. A bargain!!!

So now I have a box of paper pads and a want for pen pals.

You can find more on one of the mail threads, I guess.

On 8/4/2024 at 4:52 PM, Mechanical said:

I don't need any new notebooks at present.  If all paper production were to stop, world wide, I'd still be in good shape for the remainder of my years.

And yet...  I was perusing the nearby Barnes and Noble, shuffling through detective novels, flipping through LPs, and very nearly buying a Criterion edition of La Belle et la Bête.  In short, I was simply an ordinary shopper, until I noticed a shelf of notebooks in the distance.  A hypnotic wave passed over me, and I found myself suddenly standing in the checkout line, holding two A5 notebooks -- one half-year Stalogy and one goodInkpressions Tomoe River 5x5 grid.large.BN-Notebooks.jpg.662a426f9dc3ee2381367cf984586094.jpg

These are now at the top of my overladen shelf of unused notebooks, pads, planners, and paper.  I make no guarantee, I won't head back and pick up a few more.

I could take some of them off your hands if you look at the thread I started about extra journal supply donations. ;)

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Around a year ago, the Reddit sub for fountain pens was full of finding Leuchtturm notebooks at Home Goods and TJ Max. I’ve since deleted my Reddit account. I did go to Home Goods today, and eventually found where the notebooks were. They had around 6 Leuchtturm notebooks. I only chose two as I didn’t want anymore dotted or graph versions. I got a blank pages A5 notebook in Vanilla, and a softcover B6 notebook in Nordic Blue for $7.99 each. Okay, so the B6 does have dotted pages. I made an exception for Nordic Blue. I have Danish relatives and some ancestry, so Nordic Blue gets the exception. 

large.IMG_0983.jpeg.1935d914ed2a28a32cb23aed8eac5708.jpeg

Posted Image

My parrots are out of Marcona almonds and I needed them delivered today, so I added a pack of Five Star college ruled filler paper that fights ink bleed to just make the same day delivery threshold. 

@Misfit, I would totally make an exception for the Nordic blue notebook, it’s a great color. 

Top 5 of 24 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

I made the drive to another suburb to go to Home Goods and Barnes and Noble. 

large.IMG_0992.jpeg.8990e952e891537622c7df464fd42a9d.jpeg

On the left are my B&N purchases which include a Campus Notebook ruled, the A5 Good Inkpressions with white blank Tomoe River 52gsm paper, and a Snoopy cover planner calendars.  At Home Goods I got an A6 Leuchtturm notebook because I thought it could be the Berry version (it isn’t), and a two-pack of softcover A5 notebooks in Emerald and Pacific colors. Had to get dotted in that, and graph in the A6 going against my plans. 

I plan to download a fresh A5 line guide from The Well Appointed Desk blog for the Inkpressions. 

Posted Image

You can get notebooks with Tomoe River paper at B&N?!  Who knew!

Not of course that I NEED any more notebooks at the moment, of course.... B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

@inkstainedruth From the stock I saw, Good Inkpressions has the 52gsm and 68gsm Tomoe River paper. The paper can be white or cream. The style of paper is plain, ruled, dotted. There were several cover colors as well. I like lined or ruled paper, but wanted white, so settled for blank. They cost $26 or so at the B&N I went to. 

Turns out the plain version comes with a black guide sheet with lined on one side, and graph on the other. 

Posted Image