I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

I was in a charity shop and saw this book for sale. Sadly, all the coloured plates had been removed from the book but I bought it any way, tore out the rest of the contents and turned it into a notebook cover for my sketch books.

Dickensnotebook-.jpg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was at Ross looking at the last of the garden stuff and noticed a 2pack of some promising legal pads for $5. They have mushrooms and cherries for borders, and are made in Indonesia.

Top 5 of 24 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

On 7/20/2024 at 9:47 AM, Stompie said:

I was in a charity shop and saw this book for sale. Sadly, all the coloured plates had been removed from the book but I bought it any way, tore out the rest of the contents and turned it into a notebook cover for my sketch books.

Dickensnotebook-.jpg

Your story of the missing plates is reminding me of when I was in high school, working part time at the local library (it was around the corner from my house, so my mom didn't have to drive me or my brother -- who also worked there part time -- to work and back).  One of my jobs was to make sure books were in their proper order on the shelves (either alphabetical by author for fiction or Dewey Decimal system #s for non-fiction).  But for the art books in particular, I had to ALSO double check to make sure that none of the tipped-in plates were missing -- and to make a notation (in pencil of course) inside the front cover if any of them were....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My friend called me to ask if I had any paper suitable for resumes.  I laughed.  I asked what color. I had white / cream / ivory / blue / gray and natural.  In each of those, I had selections - laid / linen / smooth / parchment.  I took him over a selection of twenty papers which was not my collection mind you, just the selection for his perusal.

I am moving my office after 14 years.  The paper is going with me.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 7/20/2024 at 9:47 AM, Stompie said:

Dickensnotebook-.jpg

That is a lovely cover. Excellent reuse.

I ran into Homegoods while my husband was at the home improvement store yesterday. I found two Sanrio notebooks with my favorite characters on them: Badtz-Maru and Tuxedo Sam. I also bought a blue leathery feeling notebook with a tan spine by Èccolo, and a tiny Leuchtterm A6 notebook in a beautiful blue color. I didn’t realize that their notebooks (at least this version) are made in Taiwan.

Top 5 of 24 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Couple of new Field Notes arrived today. a 3 pack of "50" including the stamp sheet, and the new Index edition - just the Log Book version.

Oh, and a surprise package from the world famous @amberleadavis in yesterday's mail: Wausau Paper Stationery *Professional Series* Royal Linen in ivory (100 sheets) - unopened.  Oh, almost forgot, the Co-razy view notebook to contribute to.

Have a vintage Eversharp Skyline on the way as well. Love the Art Deco look of those pens.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I made a trip into the city of a 2PM appointment.  The trip home (30 miles on the motorway) took me a wee bit over an hour.

7 hours ago, Runnin_Ute said:

Have a vintage Eversharp Skyline on the way as well. Love the Art Deco look of those pens.

Congratulations on that. I got one this year. It’s so fascinating the man who designed a train, also designed a fountain pen. 

Posted Image

I discovered a local (well, OK, a 40-minute drive away) brick-and-mortar shop that carries a nice selection of No. 19 Rhodia pads. For those not so familiar with the Rhodia product line, a No. 19 pad is of a size that a standard A4 sheet detaches at the perforations. This is distinguished from the No. 18 pad, which has gross dimensions of A4, but tears off about 20mm shorter, which can be inconvenient at times. So despite a not particularly attractive price, I stocked up on No. 19 pads.

Just because I am a sad, pathetic stationery junkie…

I don't need any new notebooks at present.  If all paper production were to stop, world wide, I'd still be in good shape for the remainder of my years.

And yet...  I was perusing the nearby Barnes and Noble, shuffling through detective novels, flipping through LPs, and very nearly buying a Criterion edition of La Belle et la Bête.  In short, I was simply an ordinary shopper, until I noticed a shelf of notebooks in the distance.  A hypnotic wave passed over me, and I found myself suddenly standing in the checkout line, holding two A5 notebooks -- one half-year Stalogy and one goodInkpressions Tomoe River 5x5 grid.large.BN-Notebooks.jpg.662a426f9dc3ee2381367cf984586094.jpg

These are now at the top of my overladen shelf of unused notebooks, pads, planners, and paper.  I make no guarantee, I won't head back and pick up a few more.

Currently most used pen:  Parker 51 (F) - R&K Salix

1 hour ago, Mechanical said:

I don't need any new notebooks at present.  If all paper production were to stop, world wide, I'd still be in good shape for the remainder of my years.

Welcome to the Forum.

Just a hint/warning about this hobby (if you don't already know...

if we only bought what we needed, we would have 2 or 3 (at the most) pens; 3-5 bottles of 1 or 2 colors of ink and a couple of notebooks of at most 2 different sizes.

On the other hand...

if your are a "normal" member of this forum...

Okay, how about some volunteers to start filling in their information.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Well thanks @Mechanical I just checked online, and the Good Inkpressions notebooks are available at the closest B&N. Maybe they won’t have lined, that might save me. 

Posted Image

40 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

Welcome to the Forum.

if we only bought what we needed, we would have 2 or 3 (at the most) pens; 3-5 bottles of 1 or 2 colors of ink and a couple of notebooks of at most 2 different sizes.

On the other hand...

if your are a "normal" member of this forum...

Okay, how about some volunteers to start filling in their information.

Welcome, @Mechanical!

I am not sure what constitutes “average” in this forum (I suppose it could even be debated if a mean, median, or modal average is most appropriate to even open the discussion of what “average” is), let alone “normal” (which once one starts to meet people in this crowd becomes a _very_ elusive concept), but based on @Gloucesterman’s conjecture above:

I exceed what one “needs” in terms of pens by more than an order of magnitude, in terms of ink by about 300%, and in terms of paper, not so much. My inventory is almost always at or below 5 notebooks, 2-3 A5 blocks, 2-3 A4 blocks, an A3 block or two, plus a couple of writing kits with laid stationery of various sizes.

I go through a lot of paper, but I only keep a few months’ inventory on-hand. I have enough ink for several years. I struggle, even with regular rotation and daily use, to use all of my pens over the course of a year. Until I get my active pen rotation down to below 36 pens (3 per month over an annual rotation), I am following a “pass on two pens for every new one I buy” rule. The rule has really limited my new purchases as well.

I may be a sad, pathetic, stationery junkie, but I am a fairly disciplined just-in-time inventory-controlled junkie. I use promptly whatever I buy.

(And for any of you quality control pendants who might be out there, YES, an average 4-6 month buffer for paper is essential. The demand variance and re-supply chain is such that any less risks production stoppages. Where I still need work is my pen and ink inventory…😜)

1 hour ago, Gloucesterman said:

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks, @Gloucesterman!  I'm a new user on FPN, an old-time fountain pen user, and a fairly recent fanatic.  I stumbled on the postings here and immediately recognized that others have walked this road before me.  :-)

I must say, I only have one shelf of unused paper and one shelf of ink.  At this point, I must brag that my ink bottles are only one layer deep.  I do make attempts at self-control.  The number of fountain pens... well let us say not at all excessive!

Nice to be here.

20 minutes ago, N1003U said:

Welcome, @Mechanical!

I am not sure what constitutes “average” in this forum (I suppose it could even be debated if a mean, median, or modal average is most appropriate to even open the discussion of what “average” is), let alone “normal” (which once one starts to meet people in this crowd becomes a _very_ elusive concept), but based on @Gloucesterman’s conjecture above:

I exceed what one “needs” in terms of pens by more than an order of magnitude, in terms of ink by about 300%, and in terms of paper, not so much. My inventory is almost always at or below 5 notebooks, 2-3 A5 blocks, 2-3 A4 blocks, an A3 block or two, plus a couple of writing kits with laid stationery of various sizes.

I go through a lot of paper, but I only keep a few months’ inventory on-hand. I have enough ink for several years. I struggle, even with regular rotation and daily use, to use all of my pens over the course of a year. Until I get my active pen rotation down to below 36 pens (3 per month over an annual rotation), I am following a “pass on two pens for every new one I buy” rule. The rule has really limited my new purchases as well.

I may be a sad, pathetic, stationery junkie, but I am a fairly disciplined just-in-time inventory-controlled junkie. I use promptly whatever I buy.

(And for any of you quality control pendants who might be out there, YES, an average 4-6 month buffer for paper is essential. The demand variance and re-supply chain is such that any less risks production stoppages. Where I still need work is my pen and ink inventory…😜)

I believe I used the term "normal" rather than average when I encouraged other to share the pen larder inventory.

Regarding the statistical allusion referenced above (average/median/modal,statistical info can say anything or nothing of significance.

For example if we were to average the annual income of the CEO of Amazon and myself, it would be in the multiple billions. hence accurate AND meaningless.

My own "inventory would be of little value as a reference because I buy to resell at the Commonwealth Pen Show and other smaller local events.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

Well thanks @Mechanical I just checked online, and the Good Inkpressions notebooks are available at the closest B&N. Maybe they won’t have lined, that might save me. 

@Misfit I have to warn you at my branch, they had grid, dots, and lined.  They had other brands that looked pretty darn nice... maybe some of Italian origin as well.  Steel yourself!

34 minutes ago, N1003U said:

in terms of pens by more than an order of magnitude, in terms of ink by about 300%, and in terms of paper, not so much.

@N1003U I do like your magnitudes here.  An order of magnitude here, a 300% increase there, and I believe were are well within the norm -- plus just a little buffer.  As you say, the supply chain cannot be taken for granted.  We're just a bit more prudent than your average person.

8 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

My own "inventory would be of little value as a reference because I buy to resell at the Commonwealth Pen Show and other smaller local events.

I'm embarrassed to say that my first thought was, "this fellow has a very good cover story." 

Enjoy the pen show!

52 minutes ago, Mechanical said:

@N1003U I do like your magnitudes here.  An order of magnitude here, a 300% increase there, and I believe were are well within the norm -- plus just a little buffer.  As you say, the supply chain cannot be taken for granted.  We're just a bit more prudent than your average person.

I work in an industry where we typically compare things on a logarithmic scale so you learn to be flexible.

Indeed. Can’t be too careful with stationery suppliers. However, I think if it gets to the point where we can’t source fountain-pen-friendly paper on short notice, the whole hobby may be doomed, or at least we will have to re-discover medieval manufacturing methods and start manufacturing our own and building a cottage industry.

I suppose there is also an argument that fountain pen fans are by definition abnormal, so all bets are off when it comes to describing “normal”…😛