Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/16/2024 at 6:29 PM, Misfit said:

@Runnin_Ute I tried twice to get the Constellation cover at Goldspot. They sent what looks like hexagons and the peacock cover notebooks. 

I hope you get the Constellation cover. 

Arrived today. All four are the Constellation. I got them from Vanness.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I've decided to try writing some proper letters to people with whom I rarely correspond via email - older members of my extended family who haven't really caught on to technology and who don't enjoy speaking on the phone for a variety of reasons.

To that end I ordered some "proper" stationery from PaperMind:

Mediovalist Deckle Edge writing pad (20 sheets, A4) in white, with matching envelopes. Kind of spendy on a per-sheet/envelope basis, but it's A4 paper and I can write small using a Japanese fine nibbed-pen. I'll include typewritten copy with every letter.

I also ordered a package of the Colorverse Nebula "inkproof" paper, because this I gotta see.

And because he's got Lamy on sale I suckered for another AL-Star, this one with a factory broad nib.

Humorous stationery: went out with Mr. Inkster on Saturday for burgers at a local joint. The joint has changed most of its servingware, to now include delivering burgers and fries on small aluminum trays lined with something that is not parchment, butcher's or waxed paper. I asked for a couple of pieces for scientific purposes and discovered it is fan-freaking-tabulous for pretty much every sort of writing utensil, and every ink I have in a pen currently. I ordered a packet of $9/100 from Amazon but my local food service supplier is happy to sell me a package of 1000 for about $40. Not super-thrifty at the price I paid but but it beats copier paper in terms of ink handling. The only drawback is the color, which is brown-bag brown; but I think it can be had in white as well, I just didn't bother searching it up.

On 2/20/2024 at 6:53 PM, Misfit said:

@Runnin_Ute good to know Vanness has those too. Thank you. 

No problem.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

Daiso stop this morning on my way home from coffee with the girls. Thank goodness Kinokuniya across the parking lot wasn't open yet.

I finally figured out that at Daiso everything is $1.75 unless it has a big round pink sticker on it, in which case one must consult the price list du jour. I haven't figured out yet if I get good value for money at Daiso but it's an interesting place.

Calligraphy practice paper, 100 sheets. Very thin. Smooth on one side, "laid" on the other.

Maruman Croquis ring-bound sketch book, 40 sheets

Three A4 notebooks; one wide-ruled, one narrow-ruled, one blank (unicorns)

Semi-B5 unlined notebook (llamas, aaawww)

Standard B5 unlined (zoo animals)

A5 "Kraft" notebook, unlined, 50 sheets

A5 writing pad, 80 sheets

20240302_120433.jpg

That reminds me, last weekend I passed through a Zara home, and they had there also Calligraphy pads with ruled sheets and seemingly good paper.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

What? Pictures or it didn't happen! :)

Went again today, and there they were:

calligraphy-lettering-sheets.png

There were several other niceties: metal clipboards in various sizes and metal rag-paper postcard boxes:

large.clipboard_postcards.png.34b7644fb9

The beige boxes in the background were rectangular china palettes for pain mixing, with china lids, they also had Winston and Newton three-brush sets and acrylic paint tube sets. Plus many notebooks.

Interesting how they are spawning an arts and calligraphy section.

I ended getting the postcard metal box, but would have taken most of the things they had there... Well, not the china palettes, they should have been white to interest me, for otherwise the perception of resulting color mixes is distorted, but they were so cute... and in several sizes. The clipboards, they only had left the A4 and A6 sizes, had they had the A5, it would have also come home with me. I am not much into acrylic, and already have a WN set of Kilinsky sable brushes, but it was hard to restraint myself from getting their set of acrylic WN brushes.

Anyway, worth visiting if you have a Zara Home close.

I picked up two "Field Trips" notebooks at Target today, on clearance for 60% off. I guess they'll be OK for gel pens and *maybe* my cheap FP-style refillable needlepoint rollerball. But they ain't fountain-pen friendly - even my Preppy 02 loaded with Noodler's Sequoia is too juicy for that paper.

Also snagged a Mead composition book, which was acceptable with the Preppy; and with a Moonman EF nib and Diamine Damson, which is reportedly a drier ink but I am not entirely persuaded.

I ALSO have a package of notepads that I obtained free through the Amazon Vine program in exchange for my "honest and unbiased" review, which will be a positive one. I'm not pushing the product here so won't provide any identifiable markings. Paper is slightly textured; provided just a hint of feedback with the Pelikan B (Edelstein Moonstone), Kaweco BB (Akkerman 09), almost none with the stub (FPR Cosmic Pink), and enough with the Sailor (Diamine Red Dragon) that I found myself having to pick up the nib for counterclockwise upstrokes. Very slight ghosting on the page reverse, but not so much that I'd have trouble reading anything on either side of the page. See images.

Check out the shading! Even the Diamine Red Dragon got in on that action, though it's pretty subtle. 

20240305_143738.jpg

20240305_143801.jpg

20240305_144323.jpg

Edited by SLinkster
Factual typo correction

Those seem fairly good! I don't think mentioning which they are would be "touting" them, we all mention whatever we find, otherwise what good would it be? Nice find!

4 hours ago, txomsy said:

Those seem fairly good! I don't think mentioning which they are would be "touting" them, we all mention whatever we find, otherwise what good would it be? Nice find!

Ok since you twisted my arm. I don't want anyone to think I'll benefit if there's a stampede, though!

As a "free plus review" item these are great. But at $1.25 each (plus tax, plus shipping [amortize you're prime membership]) I think they're a little spendy. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRYZB6QW?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_0DV8QMGN29NNDS1NP08R

5 hours ago, SLinkster said:

Ok since you twisted my arm. I don't want anyone to think I'll benefit if there's a stampede, though!

As a "free plus review" item these are great. But at $1.25 each (plus tax, plus shipping [amortize you're prime membership]) I think they're a little spendy. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRYZB6QW?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_0DV8QMGN29NNDS1NP08R

Thanks for that.

I do take for granted that people who say nothing about acquisition have purchased normally with their own funds. If you haven't, say so, then tell me about the product. 

On 2/12/2024 at 7:37 AM, Gloucesterman said:

Check out Artist and Crafts"person" - PC corrected!

I know they carry the Rhodia in their stores as well as online. They may offer quantity discounts and the DO offer teacher discounts - IIRC.

Good luck. BTW, they also have a nice selection of other journals and notebooks.

Thank you very much for the link. I found a source for wire bound Rhodia, they are sooo much easier to use, I don't know why it took me so long to consider them.

Misfit! Look! 

Artist & Craftsman Supply Kansas City

229 Southwest Blvd, Kansas City, Missouri, 64108, US

816-221-5454

Monday - Friday: 10 - 7 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10 - 6 pm

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Hey cool @Anne-Sophie thank you as I had not heard of them before. I wish I lived closer to that address in KC. 

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2024 at 10:04 PM, Misfit said:

Hey cool @Anne-Sophie thank you as I had not heard of them before. I wish I lived closer to that address in KC. 

Local shipping is probably very low, or maybe, they can deliver.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

On 3/9/2024 at 9:52 PM, Anne-Sophie said:

Thank you very much for the link. I found a source for wire bound Rhodia, they are sooo much easier to use, I don't know why it took me so long to consider them.

Misfit! Look! 

Artist & Craftsman Supply Kansas City

229 Southwest Blvd, Kansas City, Missouri, 64108, US

816-221-5454

Monday - Friday: 10 - 7 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10 - 6 pm

They have a location in Pittsburgh, although the parking isn't all that great.  I stick my nose in there every so often because in the past they sometimes carry Noodler's inks (although the ones I'm most interested in I tend to already have).  And sometimes they have a nice range of Leuchturm and Rhoda notebooks.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

If buying a Hobonichi Techo equates to being a "Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie", then I've overdosed more than ten times over. 

Ooh, there’s one of those Artist & Craftsman Supplies store near me, I see their A sign on the sidewalk. I might go check it out soonish.

Top 5 of 24 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

8 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

Ooh, there’s one of those Artist & Craftsman Supplies store near me, I see their A sign on the sidewalk. I might go check it out soonish.

They offer discounts to teachers. instructors and students - IIRC.

The near (25 miles away) has a very nice selection of notebooks.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”