• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Third time lucky making notebook covers... (and only one of the experiments is kinda useless, unless I do a little bookbinding or lop a few centimetres off my midori). And I have an excuse to order more notebooks.

So now I have patterns sorted out for A5 and A6 sizes and can cut the nice fabrics to make the gifts. Scary.

large.IMG_20231205_104652_121.jpg.72e80ea642bdda6f84ba1fba4d100507.jpg

large.IMG_20231205_104756_116.jpg.36204adf4889f37e1eb8b54c2b0f2fa4.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I’m impressed, @AmandaW- the covers are super nice!  I should try that with some of the less attractive colors in an A6 set I bought. 

Top 5 of 24 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

20 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

I’m impressed, @AmandaW- the covers are super nice!  I should try that with some of the less attractive colors in an A6 set I bought. 

Penguin Collector said it best. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

So now I have patterns sorted out for A5 and A6 sizes and can cut the nice fabrics to make the gifts.

Bravo! But first, find yourself fabric with proper ducks printed on it. 😉

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Spoonflower is great for cute patterned heavy duty fabric. I bought a few with cockatiels and penguins. Finding cockatiel patterned fabric was difficult at the time. 
  I’m trying to decide if I want a Badtz-Maru agenda or not. I already have an engagement calendar for next year, to do lists, and my ancient leather Filofax. It’s lavender, and I would prefer a blue or black one, but it’s really inexpensive.

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

5 hours ago, N1003U said:

here are the cards. There is nothing to me like the detail that can be achieved with engraving…

IMG_1839.jpeg

IMG_1838.jpeg

Quality - at least you get what you paid for - they are beautiful.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

5 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Bravo! But first, find yourself fabric with proper ducks printed on it. 😉

Maybe this? B)

Screenshot_20231205-184725_Firefox.jpg.70784c7851d59e792788ebf86be78887.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

8 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Maybe this? B)

w00t!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

14 hours ago, N1003U said:

here are the cards. There is nothing to me like the detail that can be achieved with engraving…

IMG_1839.jpeg

IMG_1838.jpeg

Crane makes fantastic cards.  The engraving, debossing, and foil printing put them in a different league.  I've been sending them for years, even had some of the ones you show.  But, alas, the local B&M boutique that I bought them at closed during covid.

Note though that while many of the Crane cards will work great with fountain pens, some of them will feather like crazy.  Try in an obscure place on the back of the card, or inside flap of the envelope.

23 hours ago, Misfit said:

An order of notebooks arrived. 

large.IMG_0279.jpeg.c90fb40aebb2d21f56b084364e79dc69.jpeg

I have the Wonderland passport (I just love some of the nifty Unemployed Philosophers Guild designs, but haven't used it for anything yet.  

The other ones look pretty cool, too.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

7 hours ago, XYZZY said:

Crane makes fantastic cards.  The engraving, debossing, and foil printing put them in a different league.  I've been sending them for years, even had some of the ones you show.  But, alas, the local B&M boutique that I bought them at closed during covid.

Note though that while many of the Crane cards will work great with fountain pens, some of them will feather like crazy.  Try in an obscure place on the back of the card, or inside flap of the envelope.

yea, a few of Cranes papers are not so well sized, but I haven’t run into any that are truly terrible in that regard—at least not yet

45 minutes ago, Ceilidh said:

What Misfit said!

I am a sucker for nice engravings, but I am hearing I should do a bit more shopping around to save a little money. At the end, though, I really don’t mind paying for quality.

As XYZZY points out though not all Crane papers are created equal with respect to fountain pen friendliness. The cards I showed are pretty good.

11 hours ago, N1003U said:

I am a sucker for nice engravings, but I am hearing I should do a bit more shopping around to save a little money. At the end, though, I really don’t mind paying for quality.

As XYZZY points out though not all Crane papers are created equal with respect to fountain pen friendliness. The cards I showed are pretty good.

Over the years, I have found the Crane Company to have excellent customer services. A call or email requesting information regarding FP friendliness would, I expect, yield accurate information.

A number of years ago, I contacted them about a ream of writing paper that was cut slightly (less than 1/2 mm) off-square and barely noticeable). They requested several sample sheets and any more information about the box (image of style/size/ etc.).

They responded with an apology, another ream of paper ( I retained and used the remainder of the ream for less critical things). This was all done withing the course of about 3-4 days - IIRC.

FYI, Crane is the 250 year old, American company based in Massachusetts which makes the paper that U.S. (and other many countries) currency is printed on.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I ordered (and have now received) one of these to satisfy my curiosity:

large.HobonichiDay-FreeCoveronLeuchtturm1917Medium(A5)notebook-open.jpg.6253c8d070cd823561551e9ce1688179.jpg

On 12/5/2023 at 2:53 PM, AmandaW said:

Third time lucky making notebook covers... (and only one of the experiments is kinda useless, unless I do a little bookbinding or lop a few centimetres off my midori). And I have an excuse to order more notebooks.

So now I have patterns sorted out for A5 and A6 sizes and can cut the nice fabrics to make the gifts. Scary.

large.IMG_20231205_104652_121.jpg.72e80ea642bdda6f84ba1fba4d100507.jpg

large.IMG_20231205_104756_116.jpg.36204adf4889f37e1eb8b54c2b0f2fa4.jpg

Nice style and looks a great fit. Bravo!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I ordered a few different penguin themed notebooks from Aliexpress. 4 A5 lined spiral bound Badtz-Maru/Sanrio family, an A6 Badtz-Maru planner with blank, graph, and dot grid paper, and a long Kinbor 80g penguin cover notebook. These may be too late for Xmas,, but should be here within the 12 days.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

@Bigeddie Yes, Pelican makes great cases and perfect for my Pelikan pens!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams