I'm A Sad, Pathetic Stationery Junkie.

KreepyKen

2 hours ago, Doc Dan said:

Daiso has paper and notebooks suitable for a fountain pen?

Quite a few of Daiso's own-branded, made-in-Japan paper products aren't bad, actually.

It also carries some Maruman and Kokuyo Campus paper products.

Just avoid the made-in-Indonesia books there.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkypete

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

Quite a few of Daiso's own-branded, made-in-Japan paper products aren't bad, actually.

At the Daiso near me all the house-brand notebooks were marked "made in Brasil". I did find Japan-made Maruman sketch pads, which are quite nice paper; and Croquis (a brand I hadn't seen before) sketch pads, smooth paper that might be in the 80gsm range. I also saw Campus notebooks that I left behind as I bought a ream of A3 Kokuyo 64gsm office/copy paper a while back.

Kinokuniya is across the parking lot and had a much wider range of all things stationery - notebooks, writing utensils, accessories including inks. Daiso is cheap, for sure, but not much variety; more things followed me home from Kinokuniya.

Kinokinuya is like Wonderland for me. Here, Muji is not too far from it, so I usually walk from one to the other. I have to be mindful or I will spend hours lost in there. 

Top 5 of 24 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

8 hours ago, Doc Dan said:

Daiso has paper and notebooks suitable for a fountain pen?

Absolutely!!! Much of their stock is fountain pen friendly. Not all, but the upside is it's so cheap to experiment. Just checked my latest Daiso haul and it's all made in Japan. But I tend to buy the same notepads and paper each time.

Kinokuniya has a better selection of good paper - brands often discussed here - but more expensive.

I”m pretty sure it was @Misfitwho recommended The Stationery Manor on Etsy to me, if not directly, then probably while following the rabbit trail from a site she recommended. At the Manor, I found the rest of the Midori penguin folder line that matches the folder set Misfit gave me. I also found some Suica penguin memo pads on the bay of enablement. This is all going under the tree, as it will arrive after Thanksgiving. 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

I got some notebooks ordered by Legami. Thanks to @AmandaW I learned of this brand. I got 2 for me, and added 6 Rhodia pads for my brother for Christmas. Cult Pens has an early Black Friday sale. 

Posted Image

I bought some A5 Cosmo Air paper, both Snow and Light. The Light was on clearance, and more Snow is not a bad thing. 

Got an FP friendly, somewhat cream-color paper, 140gsm/90Lbs, acid-free, 9x14cm/3.5x5.5", hardbound Royal Talens Art Creation Sktech Book yesterday for 2.5 EUR. I wanted to make sure it was usable, but I think I'll have to drop by again today to pick some more before they disappear. I got this one to do sketches and start playing with watercolor. It was only later I realized that watercolor paper needs to be FP friendly too so artists can draw with waterproof ink before coloring.

BTW, Royal Talens, a Netherlands company, has other sketch books in thicker paper and other dimensions that are intended for artists but also reputed to be FP friendly. They are the producers of Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Bruynzeel and other lines of well known art supplies.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

19 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

I bought some A5 Cosmo Air paper, both Snow and Light. The Light was on clearance, and more Snow is not a bad thing. 

Ahoy Cascadia... Good move. 😃👍

I've been slowly stocking up on Snow myself. 

The way things are shaping up, SAKAE is positioning themselves to be the only game in town, controlling Iroful and Tomoe River.

I have a question:  Is the Cosmo light the same color as Iroful?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

30 minutes ago, USG said:

Ahoy Cascadia... Good move. 😃👍

I've been slowly stocking up on Snow myself. 

The way things are shaping up, SAKAE is positioning themselves to be the only game in town, controlling Iroful and Tomoe River.

I have a question:  Is the Cosmo light the same color as Iroful?

I will check tonight and get back to you. I have a few pages of each in the ink test gallery, I can do a side by side photo and add it there later.

2 hours ago, USG said:

SAKAE is positioning themselves to be the only game in town, controlling Iroful and Tomoe River.

I don't think Sakae Technical Paper is controlling Tomoe River made and sold by Sanzen. Yamamoto Paper sells A5-sized notepads of Tomoe River S paper, if I recall correctly from my trip to Japan recently; I'm pretty sure I saw them both in Bungubox, and at the Tokyo International Pen Show. Hobonichi is certainly not relying on, or going through, SakaeTP to get the Tomoe River S paper it uses in the Techo paper products.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Well, after “musing” that Maruman Mnemosyne A5 spiral-bound books in landscape orientation are priced more highly than same-sized books in portrait orientation, when I saw them in Tokyo earlier, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy a few of the former last night, when I could get them for less than the Japanese retail price.

Actually, I cleaned the retailer out of the stock it was offering at that price (being 50%-off an already discounted price), so much so that after the detour to PayPal to lock in my payment details, the retailer's website forced me to revise my order because it had fewer units available than was in my cart at the time.

3 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

I will check tonight and get back to you. I have a few pages of each in the ink test gallery, I can do a side by side photo and add it there later.

I'll take a look...

What is the 5th from the left. The blue ink with the pink outline?

I’m not sure which one you mean. The names are written first for each entry, though.

I’m only seeing one picture at a time. Here’s Cosmo Air Snow on the left, Iroful in the middle m and Cosmo Air Light on the right. Daylight lamp and overhead light.large.IMG_0494.jpeg.8d3cc2c8b929856fc4c935004612c627.jpeglarge.IMG_0497.jpeg.8cc49e1e8f3104dd8cf01edfb8147a32.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

I’m not sure which one you mean. The names are written first for each entry, though.

I’m only seeing one picture at a time. Here’s Cosmo Air Snow on the left, Iroful in the middle m and Cosmo Air Light on the right. Daylight lamp and overhead light.large.IMG_0494.jpeg.8d3cc2c8b929856fc4c935004612c627.jpeglarge.IMG_0497.jpeg.8cc49e1e8f3104dd8cf01edfb8147a32.jpeg

Humm it's hard to see the differences between Air Light and  Air Snow....

I meant this one, the blue ink with the pink "Outline"

17 minutes ago, USG said:

Humm it's hard to see the differences between Air Light and  Air Snow....

I meant this one, the blue ink with the pink "Outline"

This is Parker Quink Blue, but made by or for Luxor in India. Isn’t it pretty? 

In person, the Light is definitely creamier than the Snow, but a different shade than the iroful. I will try to get a picture in actual daylight and see if that shows the difference better.

2 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

This is Parker Quink Blue, but made by or for Luxor in India. Isn’t it pretty? 

Yes it is.  We'll have to add it to our 'outline' list.

3 minutes ago, USG said:

Yes it is.  We'll have to add it to our 'outline' list.

I got it through eBay, it was really cheap, but took forever. I can send you a sample if you want.

That "haloing" is interesting, to say the least.  Is it shimmer or sheen?  I don't think I've ever seen an ink do that before (usually the haloing is just a darker shade of the ink itself, IME).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

45 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

That "haloing" is interesting, to say the least.  Is it shimmer or sheen?  I don't think I've ever seen an ink do that before (usually the haloing is just a darker shade of the ink itself, IME).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hi ISR

Could you post a sample of what you refer to as "haloing"?