Schmidt Nib Advantages And Disadvantages

livefree

Dear members,

what are the advantages and disadvantages of schmidt nib?

is this nib a wet nib or dry nib.

will this nib, if comes pre-fitted with some eyedropper pen, does it guaranties that the pen will write consistent till the last drop of ink, and no burping will be there?

how is the nib in terms of writing, is it like a bit scratchy or smooth as butter?

concerned pen :- http://asapens.in/eshop/fountain-pen/asa-pens-india/asa-daily-3-in-1-filling-fully-handmade-ebonite-fountain-pen-india

the medium nib is better for daily usage or fine nib? can i have samples of medium or fine nib?

should i go ahead with that pen?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lurcho

• livefree

• Olga-F

• rwilsonedn

Schmidt, Bock and Jowo are the major manufacturers of nibs. They can be found in many pens with the pen manufacturers names stamped on the nib, and also with the nib manufacturers names stamped on them. Schmidt is the most common brand used in lower end pens.

Even within the same brand there are different grades of nib, with a steel nib, or gold plated steel nib being at the low end of price and performance. You can't say that a medium or fine of any one brand will always perform the same because each nib writes differently. I assume that a nib will need to be smoothed when I receive it, regardless of who made the nib. There have been few exceptions to that rule over the last 30 years. It is worth having the pen tested before it is sent to you.

In order of preference based on quality, reliability of the feed and general performance, my list reads Bock, Jowo, Schmidt.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

livefree:

As Ron Z says, it is difficult to answer your questions because there are many things involved. Quality, wet/dry, and smooth/scratch can all vary from nib to nib. But ASA Pens offers to test your pen before they ship it, and they have a reputation for excellent customer service after the sale. So you will probably end up with a pen that you really enjoy using.

As to eyedropper burping, the nib by itself cannot control burping. But the pen you are looking at has an entire Schmidt nib-and-feed assembly that is very effective at controlling burping. If you treat the pen well, you should have no trouble in that area.

Finally, the ASA Daily Writer has had very positive comments here on FPN. I suggest you search for it in the Reviews section and see what owners have written about it.

Bottom line: whatever you decide, enjoy your new pen!

ron

livefree:

As Ron Z says, it is difficult to answer your questions because there are many things involved. Quality, wet/dry, and smooth/scratch can all vary from nib to nib. But ASA Pens offers to test your pen before they ship it, and they have a reputation for excellent customer service after the sale. So you will probably end up with a pen that you really enjoy using.

As to eyedropper burping, the nib by itself cannot control burping. But the pen you are looking at has an entire Schmidt nib-and-feed assembly that is very effective at controlling burping. If you treat the pen well, you should have no trouble in that area.

Finally, the ASA Daily Writer has had very positive comments here on FPN. I suggest you search for it in the Reviews section and see what owners have written about it.

Bottom line: whatever you decide, enjoy your new pen!

ron

Hi bro, do they make sure that the nib is smooth as butter and uniform flowing?

also, to control burping do i need to take any special care of the pen, (as you said "If you treat the pen well, you should have no trouble in that area.")... or just a normal daily usage will be suffecient?

Schmidt, Bock and Jowo are the major manufacturers of nibs. They can be found in many pens with the pen manufacturers names stamped on the nib, and also with the nib manufacturers names stamped on them. Schmidt is the most common brand used in lower end pens.

Even within the same brand there are different grades of nib, with a steel nib, or gold plated steel nib being at the low end of price and performance. You can't say that a medium or fine of any one brand will always perform the same because each nib writes differently. I assume that a nib will need to be smoothed when I receive it, regardless of who made the nib. There have been few exceptions to that rule over the last 30 years. It is worth having the pen tested before it is sent to you.

In order of preference based on quality, reliability of the feed and general performance, my list reads Bock, Jowo, Schmidt.

the pen has got steel nib, so i think the quality of that nib would be at the low side of performance, i think.

the pen has got steel nib, so i think the quality of that nib would be at the low side of performance, i think.

This generalization hasn't been true for many years.

I'm fairly sure that Schmidt no longer actually makes nibs, and Schmidt-branded nibs are made by Bock.

I thought that too. I think they private-label Bock nibs and mainly produce the other components of fountain pens, like converters, not to mention their principal business of making ballpoint and gel refills, and stuff like that.

Could be wrong, of course.

I have an Asa Rainbow with a broad schmidt nib and feed assembly (steel nib) and it is butter smooth.

It is also the springiest and possibly the wettest nib I own.

It is alive with smooth, juicy, springiness and a joy to write with.

The writing experience is unique within my collection and gives the pen a personality all of its' own.

It was tested before shipping, and I would recommend choosing that option as the pen was magical straight from the off.

I certainly wouldn't say the schmidt nib is of low quality or performance.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

I'm fairly sure that Schmidt no longer actually makes nibs, and Schmidt-branded nibs are made by Bock.

I bought some nibs recently and I like them all. Bock/ Jowo/ Knox/ Schmidt. They are all different and according to what you choose in nib sizes, you can have different tools to have different writing experience.

Hi bro, do they make sure that the nib is smooth as butter and uniform flowing?

also, to control burping do i need to take any special care of the pen, (as you said "If you treat the pen well, you should have no trouble in that area.")... or just a normal daily usage will be suffecient?

I believe if you send ASA a note asking them specifically to check smoothness and flow, they will be happy to do so. As for the eyedropper burping question, the only time you might see a problem with this combination, in my limited experience, might be when the pen is cold (as in outdoor temperature in winter) and the ink level is low. Even then, you should be able to just hold the pen in your hand, nib-up, until it warms up, and then not see the problem.

ron

A good steel nib is as good as a good gold nib.

A nail's a nail....gold or steel. ......

Save money get steel and buy good to better paper and some inks.

I was a gold snob until I learned better.

The "Softer" of a gold nib....I wonder sometimes if someone is comparing a semi-nail gold nib like a P-75, to a steel nail.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

My experience with Schmidt nibs is that they are good writers and don't need any adjustments ootb. The F nib units are wetter than Jowo units...

A lifelong FP user...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just going to piggy-back off of this thread.

I understand that Schmidt doesn't manufacture their own nibs anymore, and they offer a variety of nibs & feeds, but what are your overall impressions of Schmidt's quality and longevity, especially during this time when someone else is doing their manufacturing? A pen I'm considering has Schmidt from nib & feed through to the converter. Putting the cap, grip, & barrel aside for a moment, can I expect the Schmidt internals to last a reasonably long time?

I have Bock, Jowo and Schmidt steel nibs in Ranga 3-in-1 pens, all Fine or extra fine. They are all very good. I did not try to use them as eyedroppers. Schmidt nib is among my favourites. It is hard steel but very smooth. It is rather wet and good with wet inks; once I tried it with Pelikan violet ink (known to be dry ink) and Schmidt wrote dry.

Edited by Olga-F

@Olga-F.

I don't know whether or not you can tell, but do you think the nib is likely to be Bock or JoWo in origin?

Lurcho, I do not know its origin; Schmidt has its own internet page where tells about development of nibs and its advantages: they do not assert anything about Jowo or Bock. The nib itself feels different, it gives almost no line variation (and Jowo and Bock give small line variation). I love my Schmidt fine.

http://www.schmidttechnology.de/en/schreibgeraete/produkte/fuellhaltersysteme/c_1_3.htm