• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• lapis

• inkstainedruth

• Jan2016

Ahh... back to the basics. This is the first red anybody should buy, as a reference red, just like Waterman's Florida Blue (or whatever the heck they call it today) for a reference blue. That's what Richard told me when I was just starting here. If this ink doesn't "work" in a pen, it's the pen's fault and not the ink's (or, maybe the paper's?). IMO still a "pure" red; others may have some yellow or orange or blue in them, but this is a red red....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

+1, I agree one of the best reds around. Thanks for doing this review.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

@lapis:

You put that very well. A reference red.

It is even better when it is wet, but you are right, the archetype red... :-)

Interesting. I had tried a sample of Skrip Red awhile back, and found it to be a little too blood-red for my taste. But your review makes it look a lot brighter, and what I would consider to be more of a "true" red (for me, the ink that epitomizes the "smack in the middle of the spectrum" red is Diamine Classic Red).

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the merest hint of orange, but pretty much a true red. I preferred Diamine Poppy Red (the merest hint of pink) but Skrip Red is a fine ink.

• 1 year later...

an interesting red color, thanks for sharing the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 year later...

I'm still trying to remove the ink from Noodler's nib Creeper feed after 5 days of soaking in water and a couple in ink removal solution. 

Granted, it dried out, but I find this ink troublesome to clean....

Most red inks creep because their dye's degree of solubility leads to coagulation and/or fast precipitation on the nib. Just wash and wash and wash. Water should work without any detergents(tensides/surfactants/soaps) or ammonia.

Instead of Skrip red, check out Diamine's Poppy Red or Wild Strawberry. Practically the same color but more "user-friendly".

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks Lapis. It's been soaking in water for days. I just change the water once in a while, hoping that water remains clear. Soon I hope :)

You may need to do a little more rigorous flushing regimen than just water, yazeh....  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."