M800 Vs. M1000 (Vs. Mb 149) For Large Hands

wrtskn

I would buy a '87-90 800....or perhaps out to '97....if the nib matched the the tad less springy '90-97 400 still................I'd prefer the '87-90.

I'd never buy a modern nail 800. I grew up in the standard, medium-large era and find an 800 clunky, ill balanced.....just a fat nail.

Like the 146 is lighter and more nimble.

I don't care for either of the Giant 149 nor 1000....though the semi-flex nib on the 1000 is nice. I tried the 149 and 1000 back to back at my B&M..... :(

I like light and nimble standard and medium-large pens...............and the 1000 and 149 are logs in my hand.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• wrtskn

• Cliff O

• ink-syringe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see the M1000 as an upgrade but a separate beast all together. The M800 is near perfect in terms of size and new models are frequently introduced to the line. The M1000 is larger and much less often refreshed. The nib is probably the best modern Pelikan nib out there and gives you a different writing experience. It's in a league of its own and well with trying if you have an inclination for larger pens.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I have all three pens and enjoy all three pens.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Upgraded to the M1000 F from the M800 several weeks ago. After using the M1000 F vs MB 149 F quite a lot, the M1000 seems to flow more smoothly over C.D. Notebook Premium paper (Japanese) when compared with the MB 149. While the MB's nib seemed to be very flexible, the M1000's default nib seems more flexible, and in terms of writing the MB 149 seems to "scratch" the paper while the M1000 nib seems to flow like butter more. Has anyone experienced this when comparing a MB 149 to the M1000?

Overall, at present, the M1000 seems more addictive for writing than the MB 149???

(FYI, for inks I am using Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue in the M1000, and Noodler's Black Bat in the MB 149).

Edited by wrtskn

Try a different ink in the 149. I haven't used that particular ink, but a lot of Noodlers make my MBs feel draggy. Gorgeous colors but meh writing.

I've had several of all three pens mentioned over the years. My thoughts on all three:

MB149 has a huge section which I love. The nibs are firm and more versatile than an M1000. I've owned 3 different ones since about 1999 and currently own zero.

M800. I've owned too many to list but currently have the brown (striated), red striated, blue striated and orange. I've always loved the number of nib choices but sadly, they discontinued most of the cool nibs. But I still love these pens. Nice weight even though the section is a tad small for my hands. I still have a BBB and IB nib along with several M nibs and a B ground into a stub. They're just great all around pens. Firm nibs with some give.

M1000. I've owned 3 over the years and still own my trusty daily writer today (bought in 1999). It's currently equipped with a custom EF nib. I've had the flow increased and it's been ground into an XXF width. It writes beautifully! The M1000 is my favorite pen of all to this day. It's just a fun pen to write with. Excellent weight and balance with a fairly wide section. The nib is super springy and does take a bit of time to get used to at first. But after you learn to write with little pressure, it's a pure joy to use. I also rotate in my B nibs which has been ground into a stub. This one is a bit tricky due to the squared off edges. With the springy nature, you really have to keep a consistent point of attack or else it becomes scratchy. But man it puts down a beautiful line when you have the right technique. Anyway, sorry to ramble.

Maybe it's time for me to try my M1000 again. I first tried it when I was new to the hobby (I found the pen on a ridiculously cheap closeout sale) and didn't have great pressure control. I tried it again a year or so later and still had trouble controlling the nib but maybe now I have enough experience to handle it. I'm currently using a vintage 149 with a soft nib which will be a nice comparison to the M1000.

M800. Nice weight even though the section is a tad small for my hands.

You must have the largest hands in human history. Are you in the NBA?

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I think folks that started with Large pens, are imprinted like little baby chickens....to think that normal. :(

Well it's better than a Large ball point.....also something 'new' to me.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

You must have the largest hands in human history. Are you in the NBA?

Ha! Well, I shall rephrase that. M800's are not as comfortable in my hands as an M1000 is.

I think folks that started with Large pens, are imprinted like little baby chickens....to think that normal. :(

Well it's better than a Large ball point.....also something 'new' to me.

Bo Bo, I "normally" avoid this kind of post and I know you're a nice chap. But, I've seen the kind criticism above one too many times.

I think you are failing to see that people are different and have different tastes. What is good for you and/or me may not be satisfactory to someone else. Fortunately things are like that, or else we would live in a world in which there would be one pen, one jeans, one car, etc.

It also has absolutely nothing to do with how folks started (have you thought that your reasoning could be reversed, "...folks that started with small pens..."? Or that, following your approach, people could criticize your taste for smaller pens? Yet, nobody does that).

As an example that it has nothing to do with starting with larger pens, I started with small and very thin pens and for many years it was all I used. I enjoyed them, because they were FP, they were all I could afford and I didn't know different. Despite starting with small pens, my preference today is for large pens - I love the M800, the M1000, the 149 and, in fact, think that the Delta Dolcevita OS (even larger than all of those) is extremely comfortable.

Also, there is nothing wrong with enjoying BPs.

Let us accept the differences.

Edited by Lam1

OK, I'll wait for some one to say a 400 is too small, and they don't post it for religious reasons.

Bo Bo, I "normally" avoid this kind of post and I know you're a nice chap. But, I've seen the kind criticism above one too many times.

I think you are failing to see that people are different and have different tastes. What is good for you and/or me may not be satisfactory to someone else. Fortunately things are like that, or else we would live in a world in which there would be one pen, one jeans, one car, etc.

It also has absolutely nothing to do with how folks started (have you thought that your reasoning could be reversed, "...folks that started with small pens..."? Or that, following your approach, people could criticize your taste for smaller pens? Yet, nobody does that).

As an example that it has nothing to do with starting with larger pens, I started with small and very thin pens and for many years it was all I used. I enjoyed them, because they were FP, they were all I could afford and I didn't know different. Despite starting with small pens, my preference today is for large pens - I love the M800, the M1000, the 149 and, in fact, think that the Delta Dolcevita OS (even larger than all of those) is extremely comfortable.

Also, there is nothing wrong with enjoying BPs.

Let us accept the differences.

Thanks Lam1. Being as his post seemed a response to mine, I didn't quote BoBo because his post is false anyway. In fact, he couldn't be more wrong. I started with Vintage (50s) Esterbrooks. Used them for years. My job required me to write a lot and I always experienced fatigue. When I moved up to modern pens, the M1000 was my 2nd modern pen purchase (a Montegrappa Symphony was my first). My hand rarely felt fatigued while using the M1000 and that's why I've used/owned it for so long. There is also a reason that large and especially over-sized vintage pens are the most collectible/valuable.

Edited by Cliff O

. Nice weight even though the section is a tad small for my hands.

Reason you should always try to test pens before buying.

Always read and heard how comfortable the M800 is, but when trying one the Baltimore pen show I too found the section felt small in my hand. The M1000 however felt great.

On the other hand, (so to speak) I find the MB-149 too big, but the MB-146 perfect for me.