M800 Vs. M1000 (Vs. Mb 149) For Large Hands

wrtskn

I picked up a new M800 w/F nib last week, and so far it fits my hand nicely and writes very well. However, when I transition to my 1962 MB 149, the palm of my writing hand and fingers used to grasp the pen feel more relaxed due to the larger size. I heard the huge nib on the M1000 can be limiting for drawing straight lines, etc. Should I eventually consider upgrading to the M1000?

post-138311-0-89790300-1502494854_thumb.jpeg

Edited by wrtskn

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• wrtskn

• Ghost Plane

• Cliff O

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Myth. I love M1000 nibs for their softness and the body for relaxation of my hands. 149s offer more nib sizes now that Pel succumbed to corporate idiocy and the balance seems a little better to my subjective tastes.

Much of the complaints about the nibs come from those who prefer insulin needle widths and malign those of us enjoying 3B and O3B bliss.

I have never heard anything abut not being able to draw straight lines with an M1000. The nib is a lot softer than an M800. I still prefer the MB 149 to the M1000 pens.

By the way, the 149 in the photo looks a fair bit later than 1962, judging by the thickness of the ring by the piston knob.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks for the replies. I'll upgrade to the M1000 from the M800 when I get a chance. As far as the year of the MB 149, what epoch of time are you thinking? Why?

As mentioned, the ring by the piston cone looks to be thicker than those used up until about 1968 or so. I can't see the nib or feed, so dating the pen is not feasible from the photos.

I could be wrong and it could be just the photo playing tricks on my eyes.

I also would not say the M100 is an upgrade over the M800, just a different pen. Many folks like the stiff nibs and size of the M800 better than the larger M1000.

I prefer both the M800 and MB149 over the M1000. I never got along with the M1000 nib which makes the pen hard to use.

I don't have an M800, but I do have an M1000 and two 149's (modern, vintage). There is a time and place to for each. I enjoy the M1000 for long, expressive letters. The flow and snap leave a distinctive appearance, and the feel is just wonderful. I also enjoy the vintage 149 for letters, but it is truly versatile: it does equally well with personal and business writing. I like the modern 149 for more businesslike writing, especially in a fast environment. I wouldn't part with any of them.

I prefer 149. 1000 is also a great pen but 149 is more comfortable for my hand.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

I don't know much about the Huge 149, other than it has the 'standard' modern MB 'Springy' nib, stubbish, good tine bend but only 2 X tine spread. I have checked one out in my B&M. I have a Woolf.

It really depends on what you want in a nib.....'Springy' stubbish modern. My 'true' regular flex Large 146 from the '70'-80, is not all that stubbish. It's a good enough nib, but don't have the inbuilt flair of the modern wide stub; considered fat by some....I will say my B=BB. :unsure: or the '50's stub semi-flex, which would be skinny for the width today for Euro pens. :thumbup:

My MB pens from the '50's all are stubbish and are semi/maxi-semi-flex. The first two are standard sized, semi-flex MB 234 1/2 Deluxe ('52-54 only), a rolled gold 742 (51?-55), which is my only nib half way between semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex. The '50-60's medium large 146 is maxi-semi-flex. (and has better balance than the Large 146.)

(In all German pens of the era outside of Osmia/O-F-C are pure luck to find maxi. I'd guess one in 5. Osmia Diamond is semi-flex, Osmia Supra maxi.)

The early '50's 146/9's will have a telescope piston, very good but a bit more costly to repair. Made to beat or match Soennecken's new pens, so they were after quality first. It has in I like the semi-flex nib much better than the modern "Springy" nib, a better nib.

Those are 14 K nibs and more robust than the 1000's semi-flex 18K nibs.

You can get away with a heavier hand with a modern 'Springy' 146/9 than you can with a 18K fragile semi-flex 1000. If your Hand is light and you wish 'old time' flair, the 1000 will give it to you.

My impression is the 149 is lighter than the 1000.

I'd think seriously about a refurbished '50's stubbish semi-flex 149 as the superior pen.

And a lot cheaper.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks for the helpful comments. Will need to give an M1000 a try and see if I like the weight/feel. The M800's nib feels quite stiff compared to the 149's. My cursive is straighter and more symmetrical with the 149, and the stiffness of the 800 seems to require the writing pressure to be constant -- which is impossible. Thus, I think the much more flexible nib on the 149 would be called "adaptive" since it can compensate as writing pressure varies.

Edited by wrtskn

I love the 146, I dig the 149 (though don't own one), and love my M805

I Iiked all the 600s and the M600 I currently still have

and love the dozen or so vintage Pelikans I have owned or still have.

But I have owned two M1000 pens and both are gone. Don't miss them at all. Hated every minute I used both.

Back heavy, mushy nibs. No thanks.

VERY happy I did not sell my M805 as I intended and was thrilled to "downgrade" back to it. I tried twice to like the M1000 and in my experience the grass wasn't greener. Though it did make me appreciate more fully how nearly perfect the M800 and M600 are.

ymmv

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I’ve had all three pens mentioned, and let go of the M1000 without any lasting regret, although I did love its springy nib. The 149 and M800 make a much better fit for my hand and shirt pocket (and let’s add the Duofold Centennial and MB Agatha Christie). That’s my comfort zone size-wise.

Check out my blog and my pens

I'm impressed by how little love the M1000 has earned here.

I have all three pens mentioned and love the M1000. The nib is just fantastic in my opinion.

I don't intend to sell any of them. But, if I were forced to let go of one it would be the 149 without any hesitation: its nib is way too stiff for my liking.

I love my M1000, but will admit that for every day carry it's a bit unwieldy. However, it is an extraordinary pleasure to write with for any extended period of time (letters, journal, notes in class) as the weight falls/centers itself on the knuckle of my index finger, just floating there as I move it around to write. Springy, wet, smooth, and can accommodate the occasional flair I like to add at the end.

That being said, I have a two chick pen, and have yet to try out any of the others mentioned (MB146/9 or M800).

My vintage watemans are springy. All but my D nib on my Pelikan 400/n/nn pens were springy. My vintage flex Sheaffers are springy, even my Pilot soft nibs are a little springy. I have never used or owned an M1000 that was springy. They all had give. But none were especially quick to snap back into place precisely. They were all more like the pre-chewed food the mama bird gives to the babies. I have a different notion of springy. Ymmv.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I have had all 3 pens in this discussion as well. Then only one of the 3 I had and sold was the M1000. I'm not a fan of springy nibs. My first "big" pen purchase was a MB 149, and honestly I truly love that pen. However, once I purchased an M800 it was like a whole new world opened up for me. I love the 800 series Pelikans probably better than almost any FP I've ever tried. The M1000 was just too springy and cumbersome for my liking. I currently own one MB149, and 3 M800s. The M800s (for me) are the perfect weight, size, and nib for what I need. Not to mention this pen can and will securely post which is a HUGE factor when traveling for business. The M1000 is a wonderful pen however, just not for me.

Given how much you'd pay for the M1000, you'd be much better off either visiting a B&M store or attending a pen show and trying it out in person first. Or if neither of those options is possible, then either buy from a reputable online seller who will accept returns or take BoBo's suggestion and get a vintage MB149 instead.

I have used all three - the M800, the M1000 and the 149. Strangely, I prefer the M1000 over the other two, but in practice find the M800 the perfect size for everyday writing (for my usage, this essentially means note-taking, jotting down ideas and mark-up). Your mileage clearly varies, though, as you say you find the MB149 more comfortable to hold than the M800. Hence my suggestion to get the M1000 in your hand before committing.

Finally, two parting thoughts.

First, you mention the stiffness of the M800 nib as a negative. The older M800 nibs have more bounce/give than do the newer ones - maybe keeping the 800, but fitting it with an older nib, would be a good solution.

Second, at the risk of derailing the thread, you might consider a different product - something like the Conid bulkfiller. They are very expensive, but are large, superbly made and write beautifully. You didn't say anything about the kind of aesthetics you prefer, though, so the looks would also make a difference...

"Though it did make me appreciate more fully how nearly perfect the M800" is... cheers to that. And so many beautiful editions too.