No Markings On My Duofold

lastmohican

Hello !

I've read with interest a lot of posts about the date marks on Parker Duofold and I wanted to see what was the production year of my 2 Duofold :

1st : a 2016 Duofold, easy it should have been made in 2015, let's check ! :)

Oh looks like they changed the date system on the new ones... it's only written "France" and 8 numbers... Not fun !

I know, I will look at my father's pen !

And the interesting thing is that there is no mark anywhere. Not on the rear of the cap, not on the barrel, .... nowhere.

I have lots of other Parker pens and all have a marking "Made in U.K." ... but not on this Duofold.

Nothing on the ballpoint either.

I wonder how it is possible ?

280010DSC0026.jpg

446727DSC0028.jpg

there is a gap in the section because I tried removing the nib to check but it didn't work and I don't want to force too much :blush:

36600020170716182740.jpg

yeah the secratary girl broke the cap by forcing it a long time ago :unsure:

76951920170716182816.jpg

I've done some search and think it's a 1987 MKI, because af the short clip.

I've read another post with a man had the same problem, and it was because he made it repair the year Parker changed the position of the mark so he has none, logic.

But my father never made it repair or anything. He bought it ~30 year in Andorra on holliday and used it for 20 years before giving it to me.

I thought maybe they sold him a fake ? But I'm 99% sure it's not the case. The feeling, the quality, the look, the golden nib writing smoothly... I'm sure it's real.

So, I don't know why ! Any idea ?

Not that it would be the end of the world if I don't understand why...

But like they say in Japanese Ki ni narimasu... it stays in my mind !

PS : I hope my English is comprehensible, I did my best ;)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lastmohican

• elysee

• PaulS

• Chrissy

shame about the cap - I can see the split ............ well, all I can hope is that the secretary was given the sack ;) Will you clarify please which of the pix refer to your pen, and which show your Father's pen.

Your English is probably 200% better than my efforts at anyone else's language - but the flow of your thoughts lacks perhaps some clarity, so in an effort to simplify your questions - and hopefully receive some answers - maybe the following will help.

When you speak of your French made pen being made in 2015 - it might help if your tell us what those eight numbers are. In 2009 the year letter (taken from the words QUALITYPEN) is the final year of that ten year cycle - so 2009 date letter is N, and the quarter code follows the year letter, separated by a dot............ so the first quarter for that year will read N.III

So 2010 is the beginning of a new ten year cycle, but regret ​I'm unsure of the method used - it may simply be a reversal of the previous ten years - so some help needed here please folks.

Date coding for States made pens starts, apparently, in 1979, and for those made in U.K. and France in 1980, and is based on the same two words of QUALITYPEN, and with quarter codes in the form of letters E,C,L and I ............ although all this possibly academic if there isn't a date code to be found on the pen. Quarter codes changed again in 1988.

Regret I'm unable to comment on the genuineness or otherwise of your Father's marbled blue pen - but would agree with you that from your pix it does appear that your clip is the shorter version that started life in 1987, when the model was launched - it seems to have lasted only about three years before the change to the longer and more outwardly curved replacement. It's easier to see the difference between the two separate clips designs by viewing side-on, although the difference in length should make it obvious which is which.

As to the absence of marks - this is not unknown - neither is the occurrence of incorrect marking - so reliability isn't guaranteed, unfortunately, although most of the time it seems to work.

Regret my reply is limited in help, hopefully others will now offer more conclusive answers. :)

Edited by PaulS

From what you say, I don't think either of the pens are fakes. Sadly I don't know why some would have markings and some would not. I would only be able to date a pen by looking up the numbers I had on one. :)

I think you could fix the gap in your section by warming the whole thing in hot water or in an ultrasonic bath and pushing it back in using some rubber gripper sheets while it's warm enough to go back into position. :)

I even think the crack in the cap is fixable, if you wanted to get it fixed. :)

It could be that the markings are worn off. They are rather faint, not deeply stamped in the acrylic, so often hard to see at best.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks for your replies, I'm glad my English was good enough ;)

I pushed the section back ! Thanks ! :)

I didn't know I could repair de cap, I'll look for how to do it.

To be more precise, I have 2 Parker Duofold fountain pens :

Mine bought in 2016,

with mark only on the section : "France" and at 180° a code number "15270047"

And nothing else that's why I thought they changed the code date from QUALITY PEN to a reference number... But I'm not sure ?

1492439273-dsc-0002.jpg

288422DSC0029.jpg

The second Duofold is the Blue Marble set "Pen/Ballpoint" from my father

the fountain pen and the ballpoint have no marking at all, nothing ^^

280010DSC0026.jpg

I hope it helps :)

it may well help somone, but regret it's not me. This long No. may well be a factory part No. or some other factory designated piece of data, I've no idea.

Unfortunately, it would seem not easy to make permanent repairs on split cap lips, although some pen suppliers sell dental ring clamps which are intended for such repairs - the idea being that you mask the area around the crack - use a suitable adhesive - then apply the ring clamp until the glue has hardened. The obvious problem is that pressure from screwing and unscrewing the cap stresses the area of repair, but these clamps are not that expensive, and depending on the difficulty or otherwise of obtaining a replacement cap, then it might be worth trying to repair the split.

Unsure of your whereabouts, but do know that Laurence Oldfield - in the U.K. - has previously sold these clamps.

Edited by PaulS

Thanks for the advice, I try that. I nearly never write with that pen so the stress should be minimal.

I don't want a replacement part because I think the cracks, scratches... tell the story of the pen, so I prefer to try repairing it instead :)

The new Duofolds from 2016 onwards don't have conventional year marking, but a new Montblanc -style individual serial number (the long number you mention). Unfortunately, because this is on the nib unit / section, it's never going to mean very much because sections may not necessarily stay with the rest of the pen (I'm always swapping my Duofold nib units around as the fancy takes me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one). The new Sonnets still have the traditional year markings on the cap rings, and the Premiers have nothing at all - but then they never have.

The entire range has had quite subtle improvements and little bits of new design right the way through, all for the best, in my opinion, except for this lack of dates codes which seems a shame given that it has been a feature for so long..

In case any cryptographers want to have a go, my Centennial serial numbers are as follows:

Ruthenium Chiselled - 1526 0632

Blue Chevron - 1531 0142

Big Red - 16380170

Classic Lapis - 1531 0706

I can see the year, but not much else!

John

Good to know !

Yes probably. I was also thinking of buying an itallic nib section to swap. But in the end I'm sure I will want to use both often so I will buy a 2nd duofold haha. I just hesitate between buying the Red Chevron or wait early 2018 to see maybe new colors. :)

Funny that my pen is 1527 and the 27th week was my birthday. This pen was made just for me :wub:

If memory serves, I have a green marbled Duofold from the same vintage that also has no markings. Doesn't seem to have had heavy use, but still strange.

Glenn

Thanks ! I know another person with the same issue.

Maybe some pens just passed through the engraving process

You can view your blue marble Duofold fountain pen and ballpoint pen at https://parkerpens.net/centennial.html. The blue marble Duofolds with the pressed-in (engraved) arrow clip and double flat bands on the cap were made at the beginning of the series run. The arrow on the clip was changed to be raised (outward) through the end of the run. In addition, the double bands on the caps of the fountain pens and rollerball pen changed from being flat (like on your pens) to being rounded, and the ballpoint pen and pencil changed from being cap-actuated (push-top) like your pen to being twist-top with the gold crown top.

I own sets (ballpoint pen, pencil, rollerball pen, and fountain pen) of the early/mid 1990's Duofold (raised arrow on clip, rounded bands, and gold-crown top for pen/pencil) in Black (Centennial fountain pen), Maroon (Centennial fountain pen), Green (International fountain pen), Pearl & Black (International fountain pen), and Special Edition Orange (both Centennial and International fountain pens). In addition, I own a ballpoint pen and pencil set in marble blue and Sterling silver -- both sets have the gold crown top (with raised arrow clip 1990's) -- as well as ballpoint pen and pencil set in maroon with the double flat bands like your ballpoint pen (late 1980's with pressed-in arrow on clip) all of which which I purchased NOS about three years ago.

Your pens are genuine Duofolds of the late 1980's series. If it puts your mind to rest regarding the authenticity of your pens, my late 1980's series maroon marble ballpoint pen and pencil (which are like your blue marble ballpoint pen) have no markings.

In regard to your nib, it looks as if someone tried to take it apart. The Duofold nibs of the mid 1990's were rigid, not flexible, well constructed, and difficult to disassemble.

I must admit that i have some of the more modern Duofolds such as the Special Edition Burgundy (ballpoint pen), Blue Mosaic (ballpoint pen), Amber Checks (ballpoint pen and rollerball pen), modern Pearl & Black (ballpoint pen and pencil), and Chocolate Pinstripe (ballpoint pen, pencil, and rollerball pen).

An interesting point worth mentioning regarding the late 1980's to mid 1990's series Duofold is that Parker made some gold-crown Duofold pencils in the marble finish which take 0.7 mm lead; these pencils were made at the end of this series as Parker transitioned the Duofold from 0.9 mm lead to 0.7 mm lead. The gold-crown Duofold pencils during this series (except at the end transition) took 0.9 mm lead, and the double-flat-band Duofold pencils which match your ballpoint pen (and for which I have the set in maroon marble) took 0.5 mm lead. I have purchased the 0.7 mm lead transitional gold-crown-top Duofold pencil in marble blue and marble green. To date, I have not found the 0.7 mm lead transitional gold-crown-top Duofold pencil in colors other than marble blue and marble green; I do not know if Parker made this pencil in other finishes during the transition.

Edited by elysee

Thanks for such a detailed answer ! That confirms all the things I was "worried" about :)

I didn't know the Duofold existed in pencil, it's sad they stopped it.

PS : I just bought a modern Big Red International and I have a hard time choosing between the black and the orange every time I want to write something...

I would loose my mind if I had to choose between all the beautiful Duofolds you have lol :lol:

I just checked my new Big Red that was sadly only in catalogue in 2015 (I think the gold and orange look really nice together)

And the code date is IIIY... OK apart from the fact that it should be inverted YIII, I wonder why it's Y - meaning 2016 - ?

I thought that if they sale the pen in 2015, it should have been produced in 2014, but I suppose I'm wrong.

Haha I have no luck trying to date my pens :P

47261320170808171107.jpg

54423820170809174332.jpg

The IIIY is the correct date code for first quarter, 2016. Y.III (with a dot after the letter) is first quarter of 2006 and not of 2016.

Khan M. Ilyas

Thanks for such a detailed answer ! That confirms all the things I was "worried" about :)

I didn't know the Duofold existed in pencil, it's sad they stopped it.

PS : I just bought a modern Big Red International and I have a hard time choosing between the black and the orange every time I want to write something...

I would loose my mind if I had to choose between all the beautiful Duofolds you have lol :lol:

I am glad that I could help. : )

I enjoy using my various Duofold pencils as well as, of course, my various Duofold pens (fountatin, roller, and ballpoint). Elysee pens (En Vogue before the 1990's redesign, the special editions as in my avatar, and several other series including the Fine Line and Parthanon lacquer series) are my first love and Duofolds are my second love. I wrote five out of six chapters for my Ph.D. Dissertation long-hand using my Special Edition Orange 0.9 mm pencil with gold-crown top; I could not afford to buy a Duofold fountain pen or rollerball pen during graduate school, and Fred (THANK YOU, Fred!!) the owner of Bromfield Pen Shop in Boston, Massachusetts gave me a special discounted price on my lovely Duofold pencil especially for writing my Dissertation. Once I got my first university position, I began my journey toward Duofold-set ownership. While the chase was fun, Duofold-ownership and Duofold-usage are a pleasure and a delight. : )

Edited by elysee

The IIIY is the correct date code for first quarter, 2016. Y.III (with a dot after the letter) is first quarter of 2006 and not of 2016.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

I am glad that I could help. : )

I enjoy using my various Duofold pencils as well as, of course, my various Duofold pens (fountatin, roller, and ballpoint). Elysee pens (En Vogue before the 1990's redesign, the special editions as in my avatar, and several other series including the Fine Line and Parthanon lacquer series) are my first love and Duofolds are my second love. I wrote five out of six chapters for my Ph.D. Dissertation long-hand using my Special Edition Orange 0.9 mm pencil with gold-crown top; I could not afford to buy a Duofold fountain pen or rollerball pen during graduate school, and Fred (THANK YOU, Fred!!) the owner of Bromfield Pen Shop in Boston, Massachusetts gave me a special discounted price on my lovely Duofold pencil especially for writing my Dissertation. Once I got my first university position, I began my journey toward Duofold-set ownership. While the chase was fun, Duofold-ownership and Duofold-usage are a pleasure and a delight. : )

That's a nice story :)

I didn't know Elysee pens, the nib shape looks interesting !

That's a nice story :)

I didn't know Elysee pens, the nib shape looks interesting !

I fell in love with Elysee pens during graduate school but I could not afford to buy any. I bought my first Elysee pen while I was presenting a paper at a conference in Toronto. While I had a wonderful time giving my presentation at my first international conference, the highlight of the trip ended up being the purchase of my first Elysee pen.

During graduate school, visits to pen shops to gaze at the lovely Elysee pens/pencils and lovely Duofold pens/pencils, none of which I could afford, were exciting excursions. I always enjoyed looking at the various pens and pencils but I never teased myself by trying them. That made my first opportunity to hold my Special Edition Orange Duofold pencil all the more exciting, wonderful, and memorable. I will always be grateful to Fred, the owner of Bromfield Pen Shop, for enabling me to purchase this lovely pencil as he made the writing of my Ph.D. Dissertation all the more delightful, wonderous, and enjoyable.

Same like you,a Parker Duofold is without any marking.Even I can't find a "Doufold" on the whole pen!It just has a Parker marking on the nib.That is really strange.But I don't think that is a fake.It's as excellent as other Duofold

Well,I intended to have sent you some photos of my Duofold,but I don't know how to do that.It is my first time to post on this network.I'm not a native speaker too.But I think your English is much butter. :blush:

Anyway,I'm glad to find this great network of fountain pen! :D