Lamy Oblique Nibs

lumel

TLDR: Looking for some advise/samples of Lamy OM/OB vs 1.1 please :)

Hi all,

I'm a long-time admirer of the Lamy 2000, so I'd very much like to acquire one... my challenge is which nib?

I have plenty of Lamy Fs and Ms - but for a 2000, I'd like to go oblique. I have a MB 22 OBB and I love the line it forms; it's just too big for every day use. I'm a leftie, so oblique is the only way I can get diagonal line variation; I have a 1.1 stub on an Al-Star which I can really only hold square-on.

So... a Lamy 2000 in either OM or OB. Does anyone know how these compare to the 1.1mm stub or how much variation they give? Ideally, I'd like a "O1.1" but don't have a local dealer with whom I can check.

Any handwriting samples of OM or OB vs 1.1 (/ M / F) please would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

PS I have trawled FPN and found lots of really good information - but not quite what I need to know. If I've missed a page, grateful for pointers!

Edited by lumel

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WaskiSquirrel

• lumel

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my best. Only two of these are a Lamy 2000, but I tried to keep it in the Lamy world, with one exception based on your question (and the limits of my collection). My personal feeling is that the OB shows its unique character better than the OM. The differences between an oblique and a stub are subtle, but the oblique looks more natural while the stub looks more like calligraphy.

Sorry about the quality: these are quick snaps with my iPad from my ink journal and not edited or retouched. Note: the Lamy 99 is an oblique fine. I just didn't record that for some reason.

fpn_1498323231__lamy_2000_f.jpg

fpn_1498323282__lamy_safari_f.jpg

fpn_1498323197__lamy_99_of.jpg

fpn_1498323267__lamy_dialog_3_om.jpg

fpn_1498323253__lamy_al_star_b.jpg

fpn_1498323211__lamy_2000_b.jpg

fpn_1498323138__lamy_27e_ob.jpg

fpn_1498323297__noodlers_1-1.jpg

Edited by Waski_the_Squirrel

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Wow - thank you very much!

It looks like with Lamy there's more variation the finer you go - so O means there's a fixed width and M/F/B gives the 'height' of the line (i.e. minimum size). That appears to contrast with someone like MB, who seem to have a fixed (F) height and then vary the width. How curious.

That OF... that's fantastic. Real shame they don't make that nib any more as I'd be after that like a shot.

BTW, the Duofold looks really nice as well... is that an old flex?

Wow - thank you very much!

It looks like with Lamy there's more variation the finer you go - so O means there's a fixed width and M/F/B gives the 'height' of the line (i.e. minimum size). That appears to contrast with someone like MB, who seem to have a fixed (F) height and then vary the width. How curious.

That OF... that's fantastic. Real shame they don't make that nib any more as I'd be after that like a shot.

BTW, the Duofold looks really nice as well... is that an old flex?

I like your interpretation of the variation. I hadn't thought of it that way, but when I looked back on your pictures, I think you're right. Though, the Safari does not seem to follow this rule.

I agree with you on the OF. I bought it just because I felt that specific pen belonged in my collection. Once I figured out what it was, I fell in love. That is a fun pen that is suitable for daily writing. It may displace my usual daily writer quite a lot this winter!

The Duofold is a 1920s model. Yes, it is old flex. I'm doing some repair on the filling mechanism, but I think that pen will be filled more often than not.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!