• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Tas

• AlohaLani787

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a random page of my ink journal. I started to have one when I started to forget what was in what, around the end of 2017.

At the beginning I used a tiny notepad and stuck the page like a post-it note to the bookshelf next to my desk. But I had to write so tiny my poor eyesight soon disagreed with this method.

Enter the A4 notebook, stage left.

fpn_1534670519__ink_journal_01.jpg

fpn_1534670575__ink_journal_02.jpg

Sorry about the blurry pictures, I don't have a steady hand.

~ RoyalBlueNotebooks:

Thank you for the two excellent images.

The detail is very helpful, as I'm convinced that it's time to revamp my approach.

After carefully looking over and admiring your ink log I have a question.

Do you record every day which pens and which inks are inked on that day?

In other words, rather than only recording the first day of inking with fresh ink, do you continue to note them until the ink is used up?

I like that approach, which causes me to consider changes to my own approach.

The handwritten poetry which you post elsewhere in FPN is a highlight for the verses, the inks and the pens.

Tom K.

Another fantastic thread!

I've recently moved to a new notebook & format

fpn_1534703604__20180819_123029.jpg

~ Shannon:

Gotta love your approach and style!

Your Ink Swatch Notebook is professional.

Thank you for posting it, as others may feel inspired by your creative approach.

With the outstanding pen collection you have, there's much to display.

Tom K.

Do you record every day which pens and which inks are inked on that day?

In other words, rather than only recording the first day of inking with fresh ink, do you continue to note them until the ink is used up?

I like that approach, which causes me to consider changes to my own approach.

The handwritten poetry which you post elsewhere in FPN is a highlight for the verses, the inks and the pens.

Tom K.

I write down my inked-up pens every time there are changes in the line-up.

So, let's say today I change the ink in one pen, I write down what is in what, for the whole line-up. Tomorrow I change the ink in another pen or I de-ink a pen because I don't want to use it for some time, I write down the whole line-up again. Then, let's say, two weeks pass without changes to the line-up, I don't take any records.

If I cannot recall which ink is in which pen, I consult the latest list. I keep the latest page out of the binder so it's ready at hand.

You're right about the quotes. When I write down stanzas of poems or random quotes from TV shows or books, for me it's not just the act of writing down the passages that's important. I also like seeing how the ink behaves in the pen and on paper. I check how I like the nib and the body of the pen itself, and I practice my handwriting. Sometimes I write very slowly, sometimes I try to make it as legible as possible with a faster pace.

(I like sending the pages of quotes (and doodles) to my correspondents, to show them what the certain combinations of ink, pen, and paper look like.)

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

I write down my inked-up pens every time there are changes in the line-up.

So, let's say today I change the ink in one pen, I write down what is in what, for the whole line-up. Tomorrow I change the ink in another pen or I de-ink a pen because I don't want to use it for some time, I write down the whole line-up again. Then, let's say, two weeks pass without changes to the line-up, I don't take any records.

If I cannot recall which ink is in which pen, I consult the latest list. I keep the latest page out of the binder so it's ready at hand.

You're right about the quotes. When I write down stanzas of poems or random quotes from TV shows or books, for me it's not just the act of writing down the passages that's important. I also like seeing how the ink behaves in the pen and on paper. I check how I like the nib and the body of the pen itself, and I practice my handwriting. Sometimes I write very slowly, sometimes I try to make it as legible as possible with a faster pace.

(I like sending the pages of quotes (and doodles) to my correspondents, to show them what the certain combinations of ink, pen, and paper look like.)

fpn_1534846665__poetry_selections.jpg

Because of this thread I updated my recording methodology a bit. It's still primarily an inventory system, but the new format allows for inclusion of other goods as well.

I print 4 blocks in landscape format to a 24lb multipurpose 81/2"x 11" paper, then cut in half and 3 hole punch. One set is for pens, one for ink, and one for cases. Cases for pens, cameras, briefcase, etc. Basically, any leather goods. All in a single small footprint 3 ring binder.

The enemy of a good plan is a perfect plan. This system is "good enough."

Here's my new pages. (Note: I stretched the pen block to afford more space for impressions, thinking I might want to add notes after the original entry. This is the old pen block format.

post-144189-0-40346500-1534944488_thumb.jpgpost-144189-0-20543500-1534944503_thumb.jpgpost-144189-0-87139700-1534944521_thumb.jpg

The crazy squirrel method suits me just fine, although I will bow to the elegance of the previous examples. Ring for ink color samples, good notebook with every pen and ink combo as I go, and an artist's sketchpad for the "currently inked" list, by month. Cross them off when they get flushed out and returned to the nest box... I know. Crazy.

fpn_1534954837__squirrel_ink_method.jpg

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

• 7 months later...

Wow!

You guys have inspired me to start a pen & ink log. Now I cant decide whether to add the log into my bullet journal, or to get a new notebook just for the log.

I am thinking of doing a page for each pen just like Zdenek.

• 3 months later...

Dear Tom,

Thank you for publicity and also for your kind words.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

This is my method. Im now into my second and third volume of these booklets, but its all there when i need it.

post-108126-0-72461700-1564886241_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

This is my method. Im now into my second and third volume of these booklets, but its all there when i need it.

~ Old Salt:

May I please ask a question to confirm my understanding of your above booklet method?

Are the ‘Pens’ and ‘Inks’ booklets each a register which records acquisitions?

Is the ‘My Inked Pens’ booklet a listing of currently inked pens, noting which ink is in which pen?

If so, when any given pen runs dry, is flushed and no longer inked, is there a method for noting that in the ‘My Inked Pens’ booklet?

Thank you for posting the image above!

Tom K.

Wow!

You guys have inspired me to start a pen & ink log. Now I cant decide whether to add the log into my bullet journal, or to get a new notebook just for the log.

I am thinking of doing a page for each pen just like Zdenek.

~ TripleOne:

What approach did you finally decide upon?

Did you go with the ‘Zdenek approach’ of one page per each pen?

Tom K.

The crazy squirrel method suits me just fine, although I will bow to the elegance of the previous examples. Ring for ink color samples, good notebook with every pen and ink combo as I go, and an artist's sketchpad for the "currently inked" list, by month. Cross them off when they get flushed out and returned to the nest box... I know. Crazy.

~ BillH:

Thank you for the image and the explanation of the Rattlesnake Junction “crazy squirrel” methodology.

Are those pens respectively your Montblanc 146 Barley Vermeil B, and the Pelikan 150th Anniversary M760 OBB?

Nothing like using the best for illustration purposes!

I'm slow on the uptake, therefore it requires time and restatement for me to grasp fairly rudimentary concepts.

Very possibly I'm among the last surviving non-multitaskers around. I go best with one task at a time.

What's stumped me is the value of the “good notebook with every pen and ink combo as I go”.

What does that offer which the artist's sketchpad for the “currently inked” list doesn't provide?

In other words, do those two sources information provide different types of information?

While that may be self-evident to others, I've yet to sort it out.

BTW: I love the ring of ink color samples. That's the way to do it!

Tom K.

~ BillH:

Thank you for the image and the explanation of the Rattlesnake Junction “crazy squirrel” methodology.

Are those pens respectively your Montblanc 146 Barley Vermeil B, and the Pelikan 150th Anniversary M760 OBB?

....snip....

What's stumped me is the value of the “good notebook with every pen and ink combo as I go”.

What does that offer which the artist's sketchpad for the “currently inked” list doesn't provide?

In other words, do those two sources information provide different types of information?

....snip....

Good morning Tom!

Yes, you id'd the two pens. I'd forgotten this post too btw. The purpose of the better journal is simply as a reference for seeing the actual writing of each pen in the boxes. Good for finding the "sharpest EF" or "perfect M"... as we all learn, every nib is different regardless the name the factory gave it.

Besides having a poorer grade of paper from a fountain pen perspective, the artist's sketchbook is simply a convenient place to find on a single page the currently active pen/ink combos in the box. The entries get lined out as each pen empties and gets put away.

For anyone with only a small collection this is probably more trouble than it's worth. But I have hundreds of pens in the collection and fewer brain cells every year so it is hard to remember them all :lol:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Good morning Tom!

Yes, you id'd the two pens. I'd forgotten this post too btw. The purpose of the better journal is simply as a reference for seeing the actual writing of each pen in the boxes. Good for finding the "sharpest EF" or "perfect M"... as we all learn, every nib is different regardless the name the factory gave it.

Besides having a poorer grade of paper from a fountain pen perspective, the artist's sketchbook is simply a convenient place to find on a single page the currently active pen/ink combos in the box. The entries get lined out as each pen empties and gets put away.

For anyone with only a small collection this is probably more trouble than it's worth. But I have hundreds of pens in the collection and fewer brain cells every year so it is hard to remember them all :lol:

~ BillH:

Several minutes ago I completed an all afternoon and evening task.

The re-organization of the pen and ink log along a more systematic line took time.

By temperament I'm a slow individual, working slowly, enjoying the process.

The “process” includes brewing tea with honey, lemon and a dash of ground cinnamon, playing with and scratching Yubi, walking outside to enjoy a glorious day, and monitoring the flushing of half a dozen pens.

I'm not even remotely close to your hundreds of pens. After totting them all up, there are exactly enough fountain pens to use one per week for an entire year without any repeats.

About 30 Montblancs, 8 Pelikans, 6 Parker 51s, with a smattering of Sheaffers and Lamys. It was a long overdue census to assault my notion that I'm not a fountain pen collector.

The nibs vary considerably, with a cross-section of most widths. Everything works, without any issues for any pen. As it happens, there's only one wet writer out of all of those, which happens to be a 149 OBBB.

If I finally understand what you've kindly explained above, the one journal contains samples from each nib. The sketchpad is a real-time indicator of what's inked at the moment.

Brilliant!

Your concept of the inks on the ring, and the nibs in a journal, is entirely fresh for me. Many thanks for that.

Now I'll need to consider how I might best going about what you've introduced to me.

Who knew that Rattlesnake Junction was the home of influencers and trend-setters?

Tom K.

• 2 weeks later...

~ When I saw this example of a pen and ink log I liked the space available for recording when each pen is cleaned.

As I regularly clean fountain pens, that feature of the pen and ink log resonates with me.

Tom K.

fpn_1570044874__example_a.png