Jinhao 992 Informal Review

truthpil

Just got mine in the mail, in a padded envelope. No damage or similar that I can see, and it only took a little over 3 weeks (which I'm entirely fine with -- I knew this was likely when I was ordering a $2 pen from China). First impressions are really good -- it feels fairly solid, and the converter works more smoothly than the ones I have in the Jinhao 599s. And, honestly, it looks nice. Took a few swipes with a dry nib over my Tomoe River journal, and even without ink, the nib feels pretty smooth.

So -- have any of you folks just decided to fill'n'go, or are you responsible and do a quick flush just to make sure everything is clean? I feel that I should do the latter, but I confess to some impatience to see how my newest acquisition writes.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Sailor Kenshin

• bob_hayden

• suharsh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So -- have any of you folks just decided to fill'n'go, or are you responsible and do a quick flush just to make sure everything is clean? I feel that I should do the latter, but I confess to some impatience to see how my newest acquisition writes.

I had a great experience right out of the bubble-wrap!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/321583-jinhao-992-informal-review/?p=3845892

Just got mine in the mail, in a padded envelope. No damage or similar that I can see, and it only took a little over 3 weeks (which I'm entirely fine with -- I knew this was likely when I was ordering a $2 pen from China). First impressions are really good -- it feels fairly solid, and the converter works more smoothly than the ones I have in the Jinhao 599s. And, honestly, it looks nice. Took a few swipes with a dry nib over my Tomoe River journal, and even without ink, the nib feels pretty smooth.

I always fill 'n' go, because I want to know the worst-case scenario. Of all my inexpensive Chinese pens, only two fude needed a flush, and the 992 was perfect right out of the gate.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Well, my enthusiasm was premature. After a month of use the pen suddenly cracked near the barrel end. As I was using it as an eyedropper I've discovered cracks not because I've watched the pen closely but because, suddenly, my fingers became green and wet with ink. Has it happened to anyone else? I haven't dropped the pen, I haven't abused it in any way. The cracks appeared out of nowhere :/

fpn_1494855453__img_20170515_153306_1.jp

Well, received mine on Friday, inked it up on Saturday, and found cracks in that same area on Sunday, so you did better than I, Vis. In fact it's acquired an additional crack today. Never so much as left the desk and, frankly, I've barely had time to use it never mind abuse it. Luckily I'm using the converter and didn't ED it, but yeah, not great. :unsure:

Well, my enthusiasm was premature. After a month of use the pen suddenly cracked near the barrel end. As I was using it as an eyedropper I've discovered cracks not because I've watched the pen closely but because, suddenly, my fingers became green and wet with ink. Has it happened to anyone else? I haven't dropped the pen, I haven't abused it in any way. The cracks appeared out of nowhere :/

fpn_1494855453__img_20170515_153306_1.jp

This is very discouraging but good information. :yikes: I Eye dropped the 2 that I recently purchased. They won't be traveling in my pocket anymore. I haven't seen any cracks at all. What do you think is causing this? Cliff

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

I'd like to know myself. I faven't checked if there were any hairline cracks upon the pen arrival. Maybe they were and I just didn't pay attention? Anyway it seems material used to create this pen doesn't respond well to loads created by this particular design.

I always fill 'n' go, because I want to know the worst-case scenario. Of all my inexpensive Chinese pens, only two fude needed a flush, and the 992 was perfect right out of the gate.

I kinda split the difference -- I gave it a rinse with Goulet Flush then a few times with plain water, let it dry, and filled with Diamine Sparkling Shadows. Still hasn't quite started writing yet (I tend to fill the converter directly from the bottle, rather than through the nib -- less cleanup that way), though I've had it nib-down (capped) in a cup for about 20 minutes. Shoulda started with a more known-quantity ink, but I've heard that these are wet writers, and that seemed right for my first use of Sparkling Shadows. Also, if it gets hopelessly clogged, I can shrug, plop down $2, and get a replacement.

And I would, too -- the pen is really comfortable in my hand, and the nib (again, even with no or almost no ink coming out of it) feels pretty smooth.

Update: A little ink came out, I flossed the nib with a brass sheet, and while I can see a little bit of shimmering around the edges of the nib, very little actual ink is coming out. I think I might put this down as a bad idea, flush the whole thing out, give it a good cleaning, and try for an ink that ... oh, hey, gave it a little bit of a tine-widening press, and it looks to be writing now. Hey, not so bad. :D

Update, part the second: Wrote with the 992 cheerfully all last night -- I'm really happy with how the pen fits my hand, and the relatively wide, wet line it produces. Sadly, after sitting in my pen case all night, it's not writing again. But I'm pretty sure it's the ink -- I can see where there's a wad of glittery gold sludge packed in under the nib. Okay -- time to flush the 992 out, fill it with a less unfriendly ink, and give it the opportunity to be awesome again.

Edited by thudthwacker

I have 5 so far...3 clear demonstrators, a gray and a black...

I've found them to work really well as eyedroppers as long as I remove the tiny end-plug (on mine, they've just been press-fits although tight ones), add a dab of superglue under the base of the plug then re-insert it.

While I'm at it, I've unthreaded both the nib unit and the barrel and added a little silicone grease to both as well. so far, no leaks or cracking. Maybe the superglue adds enough strength to the plug opening to aid in prevention...?? Really like the little things!!

I have 5 so far...3 clear demonstrators, a gray and a black...

I've found them to work really well as eyedroppers as long as I remove the tiny end-plug (on mine, they've just been press-fits although tight ones), add a dab of superglue under the base of the plug then re-insert it.

While I'm at it, I've unthreaded both the nib unit and the barrel and added a little silicone grease to both as well. so far, no leaks or cracking. Maybe the superglue adds enough strength to the plug opening to aid in prevention...?? Really like the little things!!

I did exactly what you recommended with regards to ensuring the eyedropper ability of this pen. It worked like a charm. I didn't realize that the bubble at the end of the barrel was a plug. Thanks for the advise. :thumbup: I'll keep my eyes open for cracks but none yet. :)

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

Jealous of all whose pens have arrived. :P My two are still lost in the void between China & my mailbox for a bit yet. Not that I need more inked pens around here. Gives me more time to figure out what to fill them with anyway.

Me, too. :( Everyone seems to be getting their pens but you and me.

- Anthony

For all those who have cracked pens... Are any of the cracked pens NOT the demonstrator models?

I have a theory that it's something wrong with the clear plastic.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Me, too. :( Everyone seems to be getting their pens but you and me.

- Anthony

I mentioned in the "pens in the mail" thread, but I'm ~25 days post shipping notice from two seperate sellers, so hopefully one or the other (or better yet, both) pop through the slot any day now.

I wonder if the cracking is just an odd case here & there of slight mismatch between the plug & hole dimensions rather than a general material weakness. I haven't had any problems with my Lorelei demo, nor read of any problems with other's so far, which share the same construction.

I just discovered something about the Jinhao 992s on E bay. They're all the same height and girth but not the same weight.

Some pens are being listed as 20 Grams and others as 16.5. I actually noticed this the other day when I placed a 2nd order for 2 pens. I didn't purchase the second set from the same seller as the first because I was trying to get a cheaper deal. The new seller listed the weight as 16.5 but the first which I currently have listed 20. Could this potentially be the difference?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jinhao-992-Spiral-Transparent-white-Colour-office-Fine-nib-Fountain-Pen/142348360169?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jinhao-992-Spiral-Office-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Nib-0-5mm-Transparent-White-Gift/371947863472?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If the extra weight listing is true, the lack of 3.5 grams may be the reason the cracking is occurring. Just a thought. :unsure:

I would think it more likely one weight may exclude the converter. They're clearly the same pen.

Edited by NinthSphere

For all those who have cracked pens... Are any of the cracked pens NOT the demonstrator models?

I have a theory that it's something wrong with the clear plastic.

Mine's a coffee demo, fwiw. And yeah, I think you may well be right. I know the Chinese like their "homages", but I think we could happily skip a re-hash of "TWSBI - The Early Years"! :wacko:

I kinda split the difference -- I gave it a rinse with Goulet Flush then a few times with plain water, let it dry, and filled with Diamine Sparkling Shadows. Still hasn't quite started writing yet (I tend to fill the converter directly from the bottle, rather than through the nib -- less cleanup that way), though I've had it nib-down (capped) in a cup for about 20 minutes. Shoulda started with a more known-quantity ink, but I've heard that these are wet writers, and that seemed right for my first use of Sparkling Shadows. Also, if it gets hopelessly clogged, I can shrug, plop down $2, and get a replacement.

And I would, too -- the pen is really comfortable in my hand, and the nib (again, even with no or almost no ink coming out of it) feels pretty smooth.

Update: A little ink came out, I flossed the nib with a brass sheet, and while I can see a little bit of shimmering around the edges of the nib, very little actual ink is coming out. I think I might put this down as a bad idea, flush the whole thing out, give it a good cleaning, and try for an ink that ... oh, hey, gave it a little bit of a tine-widening press, and it looks to be writing now. Hey, not so bad. :D

Update, part the second: Wrote with the 992 cheerfully all last night -- I'm really happy with how the pen fits my hand, and the relatively wide, wet line it produces. Sadly, after sitting in my pen case all night, it's not writing again. But I'm pretty sure it's the ink -- I can see where there's a wad of glittery gold sludge packed in under the nib. Okay -- time to flush the 992 out, fill it with a less unfriendly ink, and give it the opportunity to be awesome again.

If you fill just the converter, try inserting it into your pen, then expelling a couple drops to prime the feed. That should get it writing.

With glitter inks, I have only three pens for their exclusive use. One's a no-name that came with a nib-smoothing kit, and it'll take any ink thrown at it. I wish I had ten of them. ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

One of mine finally made it, the black demo. I was half right with my prediction on parts cross compatibility with the Lorelei demo. The caps can swap, but the barrel/section can't. Looking over them closely, the construction is different is several places. The cap finial is more rounded on the 992 (& on this example has a miniscule gap where it sits above the clip) & is attached through the clip to the inner cap with what looks like a hex nut, the cap ring shape & depth are different, & the barrel plug is a hair larger, although the interior of the barrel end where it sits is also a hair thinner.

TLDR, At a quick glance, the bodies (excluding the nib, feed, & clip, which are obviously different) are visually very close, but closer look shows that they are actually made differently.

Mine has a few hairline cracks from the barrel plug as well. Visible under a loupe, but not without. My Lorelei, on closer inspection, had a couple too, also only visible under magnification. Nothing that concerns me at that scale & I never had plans to ed.

Edited by NinthSphere

Thanks for the update, NinthSphere!

I'm sorry to say that my theory about 992 demonstrators being crack prone is false.

I just examined by opaque blue pen with a loupe and there are several hairline cracks around the barrel plug as well. This seems to be the fatal flaw of this design. Evidently the pressure of the plug is causing the barrel to crack (or possibly the barrel gets cracked when the plug is inserted at the factory). What a shame, because I enjoy using this pen so much!

Seems to be the case, although it's only really fatal wrt ed use. Shouldn't be a problem with c/c unless you really beat at the barrel plug.

Yeah, the pen functions perfectly and the cracks can't be seen easily with the naked eye. As long as the barrel doesn't start cracking apart at the end with extended use, this is still a great writer for a great price.