Jinhao 992 Informal Review

truthpil

I finally received the 2 that I ordered. :D I gave one a good flushing and inked it with Noodler's Midnight Blue. The F nib wrote smooth on the first try. I'm very impressed the over all look and size of this new pen. It sizes up to a Sailor 1911 Standard Profit. The Sailor has a little more girth, but the Jinhao may be heavier based on the descriptions of these pens.

post-136255-0-44362300-1494285965_thumb.jpg

The plastic feels a little inferior to me when compared to a Wing Sung 659. This assessment just may be my imagination running away so I'll keep my eyes open to see how it holds up. But for $3.58 with shipping included, I'd be crazy to complain.

post-136255-0-22484400-1494286615_thumb.jpg

Cliff

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Sailor Kenshin

• bob_hayden

• suharsh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was at the door when the mailman came. He handed me a small kraft envelope with Chinese characters indicating the country of origin. Within literally minutes the coffee-colored transparent Jinhao 992 was full of Pelikan Brilliant Brown and writing a note concerning a dog which my dog found hard to believe.

But here may be the most convincing part re the quality of the 992. All I had to do was lick the nib to start up with the pen itself still redolent of the bubble-wrap!

I like the idea of a Jowo #5 as I have a heavier hand ... alas, in almost everything.

$1.99, ordered April 25, arrived May 8. 13 days by my count.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/hejing1314

The TWSBI Eco nib fits perfectly into this pen. I just popped my Eco's stub nib into my brandy new Jinhao 992 and started writing away.

The TWSBI Eco nib fits perfectly into this pen. I just popped my Eco's stub nib into my brandy new Jinhao 992 and started writing away.

Woah!

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Thanks, folks, for sharing some experiences about this pen!

The plastic feels a little inferior to me when compared to a Wing Sung 659. This assessment just may be my imagination running away so I'll keep my eyes open to see how it holds up. But for $3.58 with shipping included, I'd be crazy to complain.

InsuranceMan, do you still think the 992's build is not as strong as the Wing Sung 659? How do the thicknesses in plastic compare?

My non-demonstrator 992 is most definitely thicker and stronger plastic than my Pilot 78Gs and 78G+s.

This is invaluable information! As soon as my ECO stub is out of ink I'm going to swap nibs and see what happens.

Is the feed keeping up well with the need for more ink flow? I had ink starvation issues when I tried a flex nib in the pen.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

InsuranceMan, do you still think the 992's build is not as strong as the Wing Sung 659? How do the thicknesses in plastic compare?

My non-demonstrator 992 is most definitely thicker and stronger plastic than my Pilot 78Gs and 78G+s.

This is invaluable information! As soon as my ECO stub is out of ink I'm going to swap nibs and see what happens.

Is the feed keeping up well with the need for more ink flow? I had ink starvation issues when I tried a flex nib in the pen.

My 992 is a pretty wet writer, so I had zero issues using my Eco's stub nib in this pen.

For what it's worth, while I do not have a Wing Sung 659 I do own a 689, and I do not see a significant difference in the plastic quality when comparing the Jinhao 992 to the Wing Sung 689. There is a significant difference when comparing it to my higher end pens like the Sailor 1911s or Pilot CH91, but I would expect a $100 pen to have a much higher build quality, so that is not surprising.

I would say the 992 is thicker than the 659. B) My comment is regarding the way they feel. The finish of the 659 is closer to what I feel when I write with my Sailor 1911. I don't think it is made with PMMA plastic but there is a smoothness that I don't feel with the 992. The 992 is a great little writer for the price as long as you don't push it too hard. I have to slow down when signing documents because of an occasional skip. But this is only experienced when I sign at my max speed. Aside from that it has performed well. On a scale from 1 -10 it gets a solid 7 for writing experience and 5.5 for the way it feels in my hand. :) Cliff

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

IMG_20170511_154318.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts and beautiful handwriting!

What specifically do you think makes the 78G superior to the 992?

Anyone extensively used a SHORT International cartridges with this pen? Do they kinda fit or is it an exact fit?? Is the included converter compatible with all other converter Jinhao's???

Anyone extensively used a SHORT International cartridges with this pen? Do they kinda fit or is it an exact fit?? Is the included converter compatible with all other converter Jinhao's???

I put a short international cartridge in it and it was a perfect fit. The converter that comes with the 992 fits all the other Jinhao pens I have (X750,X450,911) even better than the cheap converters that originally came with the older Jinhaos.

I received mine two days back .. total time about 20 days from ordering to arrive in Chicago! I ordered 6 of them - all different colors. Took out the brown and clear one. For about $2 this is one heck of a pen! Writes smooth. For my liking it wrote a bit thin, but with just a few little bit pressured 'U' it writes as I like.

@TruthPil, thanks for revealing this gem!

Thanks for your thoughts and beautiful handwriting!

What specifically do you think makes the 78G superior to the 992?

Nib and feed. Despite the fact that i find jinhao to be smoother, i think that pilot is a superior writer overall. Never hard starts, never skips and has a better feel in my honest opinion. My jinhao is also a good writer but not as good! I find Jinhao aesthetically more pleasing though!

I got both Jinhao 992 today. The postman brought two packages - Jinhao 992 and Diamine Ancient Copper, which I wanted to fill the pen up with. Imagine my surprise! :D

But then I filled it up, and went to get a cup of coffee. I had the nib down on a container (I do that sometimes, and never had a problem) and by the time I was back ALL the ink in the converter was in my lid :yikes:, leaking through a gap (I guess, not sure) between the section and the nib >.<

I know, I should have flushed it, etc etc but then again, I was so excited :mellow:

I dumped all the ink and cleaned out the pen, and removed the nib and put it back again, pushing it a bit tighter. I filled it up with water and kept it upside down again, but there was no water on the cap so I'm assuming it's okay for now, time will probably tell :D For now it's writing well, though I'm going to wash and leave it to dry after finishing the ink in my converter, because my cap now has water XD

My concern is, the nib seems too loose. Is that just me or is the nib loose for everyone? While I'm writing it kind of seems like the nib is going to fall off (it hasn't, so far) but the nib is loose, I can remove it with a very slight pull. Did I get a little lemon?

I got both Jinhao 992 today. The postman brought two packages - Jinhao 992 and Diamine Ancient Copper, which I wanted to fill the pen up with. Imagine my surprise! :D

But then I filled it up, and went to get a cup of coffee. I had the nib down on a container (I do that sometimes, and never had a problem) and by the time I was back ALL the ink in the converter was in my lid :yikes:, leaking through a gap (I guess, not sure) between the section and the nib >.<

I know, I should have flushed it, etc etc but then again, I was so excited :mellow:

I dumped all the ink and cleaned out the pen, and removed the nib and put it back again, pushing it a bit tighter. I filled it up with water and kept it upside down again, but there was no water on the cap so I'm assuming it's okay for now, time will probably tell :D For now it's writing well, though I'm going to wash and leave it to dry after finishing the ink in my converter, because my cap now has water XD

My concern is, the nib seems too loose. Is that just me or is the nib loose for everyone? While I'm writing it kind of seems like the nib is going to fall off (it hasn't, so far) but the nib is loose, I can remove it with a very slight pull. Did I get a little lemon?

have 5 992s, it doesn't fall off. I even changed one with another MB nib I have-since its B nib-, and no fall off

It's all Greek to me...

I put the TWSBI ECO 1.1stub nib in this pen and it actually writes a little wetter and nicer than in the TWSBI! Immediately flawless flow with a really dry ink. If only TWSBI nibs weren't so expensive on their own...

fpn_1494683243__jinhao_992_twsbi_stub.jp

Has anyone had any success putting a standard JoWo #5 nib in the 992?

That would open up a world of affordable possibilities.

The nib on my pen isn't so loose that it moves around or falls out when writing, but it is definitely not a tight fit. It takes virtually no effort at all to pull the nib out and it comes out easier than a nib on any of my other pens. Since the nib isn't very tightly fit, maybe it got knocked lose in transit. If you've pushed it back in as far as you can within reason, it should be fine. I hope the problem is solved!

Sometimes a leak occurs because the converter isn't in as tight as it should be.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I took everything apart and just realized the nib unit is a screw in thingy, and mine was partly unscrewed, which probably caused the leak and some other problems :) And it showed no problems with Diamine Ancient copper so far, I saw no signs of nib crust, not even when the pen was uncapped for a minute or two :)

And on the comparison photos I saw a pilot prera in your collection... I was wondering if you knew if this Chinese F nib similar to the Prera M or F? Thank you :)

And on the comparison photos I saw a pilot prera in your collection... I was wondering if you knew if this Chinese F nib similar to the Prera M or F? Thank you :)

The nib on the 992 writes wetter and wider than both the F and M Prera nibs. My Prera came with an F nib, but it was too dry and scratchy for me (the gold-colored 78G nibs are smoother) so I replaced it with a Plumix stub nib and voila, pocket pen perfection. 😊

I put in an order for 15 more assorted colors! Mainly for giveaway at work and friends and relatives. Need to get some Jinhao cartridges and at least 15 people will be happy with their new pens!