Good Loose Leaf Paper?

Tony_Perez

Hi there,

is there any loose-leaf paper that's good for fountain pens, or at least not terrible? Regular lined is fine, but if possible, dot grid would be nice.

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bookman

• Thanh

• Tony_Perez

• OCArt

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the paper I like with dots or ruled lines comes in notepads or comes blank. If you can live with tear-off sheets and not loose per se, then A4 Rhodia Dot Pads are excellent. They are available in top staplebound and top wirebound with microperforated sheets.

In my opinion, a better solution, if you have access to a printer, would be either 24 lb HP Laserjet paper or 32 lb HP Premium Choice laser paper. They are sold by the ream and the sheets are blank. Then go to incompetech.com to create and download your own templates, as many as you like, free of charge. Or if you have Photoshop you can create your own templates from scratch. Here are a few of the ones I've made on my own using the line tool and the grid-view overlay.

Good luck.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

+1, Bookman said exactly what I was going to say!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I have had a very good result with the ruled refill paper available at Muji and Daiso. Both stores have very inexpensive paper and my FPs work very well with both.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Great stuff, thanks everyone,

In my opinion, a better solution, if you have access to a printer, would be either 24 lb HP Laserjet paper or 32 lb HP Premium Choice laser paper. They are sold by the ream and the sheets are blank. Then go to incompetech.com to create and download your own templates, as many as you like, free of charge.

but do the dots come out light enough not to disturb?

Great stuff, thanks everyone,

but do the dots come out light enough not to disturb?

It took a bit of trial and error, but yes, I've made and printed dot grids on blank HP paper that weren't obtrusive. I've also discovered that beige is a color that, once written upon, all but disappears from the page, whether beige lines, beige dots, or beige grids. This too was trial and error, and by doing it in Photoshop I had total control over the darkness/lightness of the dots, lines, and grids. The color code I use is fdc689. For lines and grids I do it myself in Photoshop. But for dots I use incompetech. I type fdc689 into the grid color box. I use the default dot size, which is 1.5 and I space them at 5 dots per inch. FYI.

Edit: I just tried the incompetech dot-grid template with a smaller dot size, 1.2 pt, and I like this better.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I bought the 100-sheet pads from paperforfountainpens here: https://paperforfountainpens.com/collections/all

The sheets tear off very easily and the paper, being Tomoe River paper, is just delightful. Brings out every sheen possible from your ink. I typically prefer cream-colored paper which is much easier on the eyes, though the white version highlights the actual ink colors better to me. For writing and mailing longer letters, this also makes it more economical as far as stamp costs go :) A four-page letter feels lighter than a regular sheet of A4 copy machine paper.

(I'm not affiliated with paperforfountainpens, just a happy customer!)

I was going to suggest exactly what Bookman did.

I am pretty new to fountain pens, and ive found that for me the most cost effective way of getting decent paper is using the 32lb HP paper and printing my own templates. I use lined templates for English notes in my classes. And dot grid for math and engineering notes. I go through an entire binder full or so every month, so I couldn't go with something like the Clairefontaine notebooks without spending more than i could justify, even though i really do like them.

I just dont like using it for correspondence, I want to get some loose leaf cream Tomoe River paper for that.

I will have to check out Lily02138's suggestion for that.

Edited by Connly33

Tomoe River

I use a lot of different papers but this is my favorite by far.

You can print the dots on "normal" paper and put it behind the Tomoe River, it will shine through.

I was going to suggest exactly what Bookman did.

I am pretty new to fountain pens, and ive found that for me the most cost effective way of getting decent paper is using the 32lb HP paper and printing my own templates. I use lined templates for English notes in my classes. And dot grid for math and engineering notes. I go through an entire binder full or so every month, so I couldn't go with something like the Clairefontaine notebooks without spending more than i could justify, even though i really do like them.

I just dont like using it for correspondence, I want to get some loose leaf cream Tomoe River paper for that.

I will have to check out Lily02138's suggestion for that.

Hi Connly33,

I want to share that if you're looking to get the loose leaf cream Tomoe River paper in size A4, two sources I've found to be most economical are:

1) Paperforfountainpens: 100 sheets @ $11 --> 11 cents per sheet

2) Nanami Paper: 500 sheets @ $44.90 --> roughly 9 cents per sheet. Lots of paper, totally worth it! If you don't need that much paper, the first option is a great place to start!

Other than that, Goulet Pens, JetPens, Amazon, eBay... all sell the 100-sheet pack in the $14-$15/pack price range, so roughly 14-15 cents per sheet.

Write away!

Lily

Add to the list of recommendations above - Kokuyo Campus refill paper.

Available in A5, B5 and A4, in various types of lined, dot grid or plain. I get mine from Amazon, shipping from Japan. Look for the cheapest shipping, as it can vary from free to ridiculous.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching