Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz

lapis

Some three weeks ago, after I got a look at three reviews***, I ordered this ink from my B&M. I called today, and it's on back order. :angry: :gaah: :wallbash: :headsmack:

*** Each of the three reviews was different, so I think this ink will be paper driven.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• Bo Bo Olson

• ca49reber

• Honeybadgers

Some three weeks ago, after I got a look at three reviews***, I ordered this ink from my B&M. I called today, and it's on back order. :angry: :gaah: :wallbash: :headsmack:

*** Each of the three reviews was different, so I think this ink will be paper driven.

IMHO All inks are pen and paper driven :)

IMHO All inks are pen and paper driven :)

+1, particularly when they are complex inks.

Great review!!! I have ordered my bottle after having read it. Thank you! I have received it and am more than satisfied with it. I have noticed, however, that with some cheap papers this ink is propense to high feathering. Garnet Red used with the same paper and a flex nib as well, did nothing of the sort. Otherwise, no other issus noticed by me. With Tomoe River, Crown Mill, lallo and vintage 32gr onion paper, its behaviour is perfect.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Some more than others.....but I strive to only put my 80g copy paper in my printer....not to waste ink writing on it.

There are many 'good' paper that are different to each other to what inks they dance with.

Other inks dance the same with any good to better paper....depending on nib width and flex...which is another factor.

There are inks that are 'too' wet for shading nibs, unless matched well with a certain paper. Most 'true' regular flex nibs, shade better on more papers than many semi-flex.

I have a paper I expect it to do well on....but now it looks like I have to test more papers with the ink than planned.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Most of my inks are head-driven.

:lticaptd:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

thanks for the review. i especially enjoy seeing the comparison to other brands and their brown inks.

-rudy-

I received my 2 bottles of Smokey Quartz. Is this going to be the "Lamy Dark Lilac" of 2017? Are the Edelstein LE inks available for the entire year or should people buy early?

I received my 2 bottles of Smokey Quartz. Is this going to be the "Lamy Dark Lilac" of 2017? Are the Edelstein LE inks available for the entire year or should people buy early?

Good, No, and Yes. It's all dependent on your retailer. Pelikan headquarters (in Hanover for Germany if not for the whole inky world) will keep it available for retail up to the end of the year and then quit. If your retailer orders it too late, that may mean Game Ball for you. Sooo.... if you love the heck out of it, buy it / order it now. At the latest in December of the year. If you end up not liking it at all, you can always sell it later for a profit.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Took almost three weeks for my B&M to get because it was back ordered.

Tried it with a Pelikan 150 'true' regular flex M. & a 140 Pelikan semi-flex OB.

Gmund cream, 170g and white M&K 90g papers.

On the first paper the Gmund, the ink is brown with a bit of olive, semi-flex is darker , while both shaded, to my surprise the semi-flex was better.

On this 170g paper it is a different brown, sort of closing in on one of the Sepias....Off the top of my mind, sort of like MB Sepia; even though I remember MB sepia as not so olive.

This 'olive' is slight...IMO. More what others said, than something I'd thought of my self. It does help explain the slightly off color.

There is on one paper it reminded me of one of the Sepias.

On the Embossed M&K paper, the lower...semi-flex is a tad more olive. Again the semi-flex shows a tad darker and OB vs M. And OB had more shading!!!

Can get use to it in a hurry, but one must give it a tad of a chance.

Will I buy it again??? Don't know must wait a while....I am happy I did buy it.

Fiddled with picture a bit. Close....

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/33acd12e-16c5-4f0b-b54e-ea5075993d2e_zpsy4uejfpl.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

I have looked at my boxed Pelikan Edelstein bottles, and find that all I have to do is to open up the three flaps, then tip out the bottle and the two foam blocks just fall out with it. I would never cut my boxes to open them. :huh:

Thanks for the excellent review and comparisons. I've been looking for a brown ink, and this one intrigues me. Being relatively new to fountain pens and inks, it's fascinating to me how the names of the inks are so suggestive /evocative of what we expect to see when we finally come to look at the ink itself on paper. Pelikan's marketing pictures as provided in the review enhance that evocation beautifully!

• 1 month later...

I wonder if we (or rather *when*) we can expect an m205 smoky quartz demonstrator???

I wonder if we (or rather *when*) we can expect an m205 smoky quartz demonstrator???

In August. :) At least that's what some retailers say.

Well, I've now tried the ink sample of Smoky Quartz I got a couple of weeks ago.

I like it. It is somewhat similar to inks I already have and was not (as I had had my fingers crossed for) a replacement for the vintage Skrip Brown (red box, marked on some sides of the box as "Sepia"). But it is a nice color, and on better paper has a reasonable amount of shading. It's a fairly wet ink (I was worried that it was *too* wet for the pen I have it in (a 1990s M400 with a juicy F nib), but it seems to have settled down.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

Great review! I like this ink and see some similarities to Herbin Lie de The (one of my all-time favorites). I'll definitely be ordering an extra bottle or two of Smoky Quartz.

Oo... I'm trying to tell myself that I don't care so much for brown inks, despite very much enjoying a sample of KWZ Brown #4 and, having found these Noodler's bottles among my stuff, Brown and Beaver. Have the N. Brown in use at the moment.

The Smoky Quartz looks appealing. Doubly so the FPH Old Dutch Colony Sepia (I'd talked myself out of that one about a year ago, deciding to go with Pilot Blue and Blue-Black, both now in use.). Argh! Blast you and your fabulous ink review and excellent browns comparison chart! (I mean, thank you.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I finally got my bottle last week, only 3 months after ordering it. Damn all those people who preordered early and caused me to wait so long :-) But it was well worth the wait... I find it to be an intriguing & complex brown. I'm now going to play around with the ink for a couple of weeks to get a good feel for it.

I finally got the M400 Brown Tortoise EF ready for the SQ and what a fantastic combination! Wonderful ink.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"