Strange Parker 45 Dating Characters

EBUCKTHORN

I recently purchased a Parker 45 Flighter with chrome trim and a steel nib. It was advertised as new and unused and, though it looks to be in excellent condition, a close examination indicates use. I was about to return it because the section has the slight rippling not uncommon to this model, but then I noticed a group of stamped characters that don't fit any of the dating references I could find. They run longitudinally along the section, starting just below where the section meets the barrel. The characters are: "F0078" The cap has "Parker" on the front near the bottom and "Made in France" below a Parker symbol on the back. It has a polished chrome end cap and the tassie is either conical or dimpled, probably the latter. An "F" (fine) is stamped into the underside of the hooded portion behind the nib. Both the male and female threads where the section attaches to the barrel are plastic.

Can anyone tell me what I have here? (And my apologies if it's information I could have obtained through a more diligent search!) Thank you.

Edited by EBUCKTHORN

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBUCKTHORN

• hood

• Captivelight

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

If possible, a picture would help.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

PAKMAN Sorry but I can't post a picture. I've tried to describe as completely as possible but if you can tell me what isn't clear I'll be glad to try to better explain verbally. Thanks, at least, for your interest! I'm really puzzled and so far yours is the sole reply.

The numbers on the section usually mean that the pen was made for the Italian market. The pen would be stamped with a serial number on the section and there would be a certificate of authenticity in the box with a matching serial number. I take it you didn't get the certificate with yours?

Spikey Mike and hood-Thanks. Yes, hood! they do look like the example you show (though only a little of the gold remains) and there's one letter and four digits. Do you know how to interpret those characters? And from my online research it looks as if it's a pen from the 1970s. Spikey Mike: Pen came in a Sheaffer case and box-so no certificate of authenticity!

Edited by EBUCKTHORN

It's as Spikey Mike says, and this is a serial number. By all accounts, counterfeiting was a problem in Italy in this period and this was a measure adopted in an attempt to counter it.

Thanks hood. I'll probably just return it as I had planned to prior to discovering the characters. Your and Spikey Mike's help is appreciated!

• 11 months later...

Seems as if the Italians are the menters of Chinese in counterfeiting. :)

Thank you, hood. Mine is here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13LBekKbslO1BhYwub4iAwSNSJUqpl094/view?usp=drivesdk

The pen is a full length barrel (without the barrel end plastic/gold piece) Made In France Insignia.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas