What Mbs Are You Using Today?

RMN

Two in use at the moment:

149 (18k M nib) inked with GvFC Moss Green 

heritage 1912 with MB Irish Green - feel that I'm falling out of love with this pen. :-( 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Andrew_L

• nishantdr83

• Baka1969

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, roadrunner320 said:

Moonpearl today with a fine nib. 

That is a beautiful pen @roadrunner320 - do you ink it with the MB Oyster ink it came with?

Montblanc WE Alexander Dumas w|correct signature

spacer.png

(Montblanc WE Alexander Dumas, Montblanc Mystery Black, Double A(A4))

Review: http://lenskiy.org/2021/10/montblanc-writers-edition-alexandre-dumas/

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org

or watch on social networks

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

Instagram: @andrew.lensky

On 10/25/2021 at 2:50 PM, Andrew_L said:

Montblanc WE Alexander Dumas w|correct signature

spacer.png

(Montblanc WE Alexander Dumas, Montblanc Mystery Black, Double A(A4))

Review: http://lenskiy.org/2021/10/montblanc-writers-edition-alexandre-dumas/

Hi @Andrew_L I love your sketch! I believe that the Dumas is actually based on a MB 139 like the Hemingway rather than the 149 as you suggest? I love the Dumas and think it’s one of the best writers pens, MB Swan illusion is a great ink match.

Thanks! You are probably right about the design. Yes, Hemingway was released in design 139, and Dumas was already based on Hemingway after. I didn't have 139 and I don't know its inside  elements, but the fact that Dumas is structurally similar to 149 (not in form design) is a fact :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dumas by Dumas :)

spacer.png

(Montblanc WE Alexander Dumas, vtg Waterman Luminous Bleu, Double A(A4))

http://lenskiy.org/2021/10/montblanc-writers-edition-alexandre-dumas/

• 2 weeks later...

149 (F)

I have been exploring what ink to put into this recently-acquired beauty. First I went with Elvis Old Glory Blue, which is a nice thick dark blue ink. It wrote very nicely, but it seems to borderline bleed through in my journal, which is rare. 

So tonight I loaded it with 4001 Royal Blue. Bleeding stopped, of course. The lines are about the same thickness as the Elvis Blue. But the nib is bone dry running across the page. It's like pencil feedback in all the worst ways (not the happy ways Sailor provides). 

Now, I could go with MB Mystery Black, MB Royal Blue, or even crack open a bottle of Iroshizuku Take-sumi. But I wonder if I have been too focused on putting the "grown-up Big Three colors" in it, since the 149 is perhaps the most grown up pen there is? Irish Green might be delightful in it. Or Toffee Brown. (or if I had it on hand, Yama Budo).  

What a talent you have @Andrew_L, I wish i could draw like that - keep them coming!

In response it seems rather inadequate to note that today I am using Homer with it's own ink - I'm not a great fan of novelty pens as a general rule but I love the Trojan horse design of this pen and the magnificent No.9 nib. 

@NumberSix - I agree I think your 149 can handle some colour variance although interestingly I almost always use Mystery Black in mine and let my 146 have all the fun with more varied inks - I'm really not sure why I do that, maybe I feel that the 149 is less frivolous than its smaller brother somehow - Yama Budo is a good call!

On 11/13/2021 at 9:34 PM, NumberSix said:

149 (F)

I have been exploring what ink to put into this recently-acquired beauty. First I went with Elvis Old Glory Blue, which is a nice thick dark blue ink. It wrote very nicely, but it seems to borderline bleed through in my journal, which is rare. 

So tonight I loaded it with 4001 Royal Blue. Bleeding stopped, of course. The lines are about the same thickness as the Elvis Blue. But the nib is bone dry running across the page. It's like pencil feedback in all the worst ways (not the happy ways Sailor provides). 

Now, I could go with MB Mystery Black, MB Royal Blue, or even crack open a bottle of Iroshizuku Take-sumi. But I wonder if I have been too focused on putting the "grown-up Big Three colors" in it, since the 149 is perhaps the most grown up pen there is? Irish Green might be delightful in it. Or Toffee Brown. (or if I had it on hand, Yama Budo).  

@NumberSix Two suggestions to research ~ MB Permanent Blue and MB Midnight Blue. Both these inks have worked well in my MB Calligraphy. Make sure to clean your pen thoroughly before each refill if you decide the Permanent Blue is for you. The Midnight Blue is less saturated but performs very well and exhibits very good lubrication on a variety of papers. Best Wishes.

Cheers - Nicholas

It has arrived! This Proust has a F nib, like my old one. Still haven’t inked it yet to see how it writes. Here are some quick photos with the 1912 that’s clipped to my shirt pocket today. 

at first quick inspection, I can see it had some polishing done to probably remove a few scratches, so it’s not as clean as my previous Proust (should have never sold mine 😔), but let’s see how it writes.

Cheers

Wael

8C3BE37E-13F9-4DD2-93AC-82110C15D52D.jpeg

3056E15E-B410-4108-92EF-CE68A21B0F99.jpeg

90CD5705-80A5-4D38-B1B3-C9A96575625E.jpeg

B9FEA5C3-3663-4FDF-9A88-9479FC97FADD.jpeg

459139E1-6BC4-4EB3-8AD4-0443E834E97A.jpeg

211C048F-A64C-4DEF-9181-412574F16E91.jpeg

0B8AE1D6-26A5-42F5-8053-61B10F16EC39.jpeg

DF6D5F0C-D4DB-44D0-8232-4182686E4FE4.jpeg

BC5B8BD7-7940-4597-94B2-077E6370F1EA.jpeg

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

12 hours ago, The Mustard said:

@NumberSix - I agree I think your 149 can handle some colour variance although interestingly I almost always use Mystery Black in mine and let my 146 have all the fun with more varied inks - I'm really not sure why I do that, maybe I feel that the 149 is less frivolous than its smaller brother somehow - Yama Budo is a good call!

12 hours ago, Nick T said:

@NumberSix Two suggestions to research ~ MB Permanent Blue and MB Midnight Blue. Both these inks have worked well in my MB Calligraphy. Make sure to clean your pen thoroughly before each refill if you decide the Permanent Blue is for you. The Midnight Blue is less saturated but performs very well and exhibits very good lubrication on a variety of papers. Best Wishes.

I ended up going with the Irish Green for now, and it's working very nicely. I am familiar with Midnight Blue, which is a great ink. I will have to give Permanent Blue a try one of these days. 

I know what you mean about wanting to put the fun ink colors in the 146. I was just thinking about inking up my Medium 146 with Purdey Single Malt. That would mean my two MBs are running green and orange/brown. Not a black or a blue between them. Can I handle that? LOL

Nib 1912 does not look harmoniously, because is small in relation to the overall design. Proust is great.

First post here!  I'm inking and using my Blue Hour fountain pen today.  Really love it, such a piece of art! 

Seems like a terrific forum, glad to be here!

Douglas

10 minutes ago, BlueHour said:

First post here!  I'm inking and using my Blue Hour fountain pen today.  Really love it, such a piece of art! 

Douglas

Welcome Douglas, have fun! 

19 hours ago, BlueHour said:

Douglas

Welcome!

What ink are you using?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 7:43 PM, Wael El-Dasher said:

with the 1912 that’s clipped to my shirt pocket today.

On 11/17/2021 at 11:08 AM, Andrew_L said:

Nib 1912 does not look harmoniously, because is small in relation to the overall design.

Now I understand all the owners of 1912 who use it more than other pens - this is a really great writer with a nice soft nib. When the pen is in hand, the small nib does not cause dissonance as in the photo :)

spacer.png

More detailed: http://lenskiy.org/2021/12/modern-montblanc-heritage-collection-1912/

Late to the party!  Today, I'm using a Montblanc Meisterstück 149 Platinum with medium 18K nib and Montblanc Midnight Blue ink. I finally purchased the pen and ink just two weeks ago, following years of shopping for a good deal on a new or pre-owned 149. It's a long story, but the bottom line is this: I'm a professional writer who only recently retired from a traditional day job in an  office situation. The company gave me a a very generous gift card on my departure. At last, I found a deal I could not refuse on the brand new Montblanc pictured here. This pen clearly lives up to its much-ballyhooed reputation. Even with the steep discount I found, this pen is the most expensive in my collection, by several hundred dollars.

I'll qualify my review of this new Montblanc by mentioning that some of my cheaper fountain pens are every bit as good as this grail beauty. I own a 30 year old Parker Vector purchased for just $4 at a Walgreens drugstore, for example. Its barrel and cap are definitely NOT precious resin. The nib is steel. It did not come with a converter. I still find it a pure joy and it's as good today as it was on the day I liberated it from the plastic blister display packaging it came with. No fancy box or warranty card. It may last as long as any pen I own.

I've said it many times: Once you get past the function of a well-made pen like my old Parker Vector you're in a world of marketing, design and fashion that transcend function alone. So I am aware that the new Montblanc Meisterstück 149 platinum is a really big deal. I'm glad I found it at a much reduced price. I'll compare it to my Parker Vector in the same way I would compare my old Schwinn Varsity bicycle to my Specialized Roubaix. I could make a similar contrast between a Timex Expedition wristwatch and the Citizen Eco Drive I'm wearing today (I don't own a Rolex or a TAG Heuer).

Honestly, what do you think? Do you have a cheap writing instrument that you seriously love using and wouldn't mind taking on a fishing or camping trip? Would you take your precious resin Montblanc on a wilderness adventure?  My Parker Vector went with me on a 4,600 mile bicycle trek across North America in 2010. I don't think I would have risked this new Montblanc. What does that say?

MBpen.thumb.jpeg.e8e2a75f18ea0e80e08f35cfffc9c630.jpeg

Edited by kirkwrites
to insert photo