What Mbs Are You Using Today?

RMN

I’ve got a problem with pen companies who don’t anticipate the consequences of actual use.

+1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Andrew_L

• nishantdr83

• Baka1969

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love the shape of MB Peggy Guggenheim... pure joy to use.

~ nishant:

Lovely.

You're showing what a beautiful pen it is.

It's a model that attracts me for the overall design, the dog pawprints on the nib, and the association with Venice, Italy.

The image which you've posted is impressive, causing me to wonder why I ever hesitated to acquire one.

Thank you for the post and photograph. It's a highlight of this weekend to see it.

Tom K.

Have a feeling it will be serviced periodically as it’s a daily user. I wipe when I see it, but write it dry and ink it roughly every other day. I’ve got a problem with pen companies who don’t anticipate the consequences of actual use.

Modern Ancoras are just as bad with their threads on the end of the section to collect ink every time they’re filled.

~ Ghost Plane:

Although several of my Montblanc fountain pens have experienced far above average use over days and weeks, I've never seen anything like that.

Do you know the cause of the ink leakage and accumulation?

As fountain pens are tools rather than dust-catchers, functionality issues matter more than decorative features.

Seeing the images causes one to wince.

Tom K.

30089522238_6ce5bc7cbb.jpg

~ _InkyFingers:

That's a beautiful pen. Thank you for posting the image with handwriting sample.

The saying is very true — seeing, hearing and speaking no evil makes everyone's life better.

The ink window color complements the nib and cap.

Very nice!

Tom K.

~ Ghost Plane:

Although several of my Montblanc fountain pens have experienced far above average use over days and weeks, I've never seen anything like that.

Do you know the cause of the ink leakage and accumulation?

As fountain pens are tools rather than dust-catchers, functionality issues matter more than decorative features.

Seeing the images causes one to wince.

Tom K.

I don’t think it’s a leak so much as an inability to wipe the end completely clean with a simple swipe of a paper towel after inking. The seams collect ink and the rest is history. It doesn’t get on the inside cap. Just builds up along the seam. Every ink does it, regardless of brand.

Well, I know this pen isn't at everyone's taste but I personally find it an immense joy to use.

fpn_1534092289__dsc00482.jpg

fpn_1534092429__dsc00484.jpg

Now in a generous B nib, it accompanies my Blue Hour's BB Bespoke quite nicely. Inks are Irish Green and Kon Peki respectively

fpn_1534092538__img_4167.jpg

I don’t think it’s a leak so much as an inability to wipe the end completely clean with a simple swipe of a paper towel after inking. The seams collect ink and the rest is history. It doesn’t get on the inside cap. Just builds up along the seam. Every ink does it, regardless of brand.

~ Ghost Plane:

Ah. Thank you for the clarification.

From your experience, is that a design flaw, or ‘just one of those things’?

That sounds frustrating, to say the very least.

Tom K.

Well, I know this pen isn't at everyone's taste but I personally find it an immense joy to use.

Now in a generous B nib, it accompanies my Blue Hour's BB Bespoke quite nicely. Inks are Irish Green and Kon Peki respectively

~ Pravda:

What a pen portrait!

The texture of the white roses sets off the Montblanc Henry Moore with understated elegance.

The image is superb, almost like a scene in a long-established boutique hotel.

Thank you for posting such exceptional photographs.

It's very good to know that it's a pleasing writer, too.

Tom K.

~ Ghost Plane:

Ah. Thank you for the clarification.

From your experience, is that a design flaw, or ‘just one of those things’?

That sounds frustrating, to say the very least.

Tom K.

I call it a design flaw. MB is capable of seamless sections, as witness my Shaw. They should do the same for their Skeletons when they KNOW a piston filled pen will be dipped in the ink bottle approximately 365 days a year if actually used. I suspect the pendulum is firmly stuck on the side of the collectors rather than the users.

fpn_1534092429__dsc00484.jpg

fpn_1534092538__img_4167.jpg

How does that drop off from metal to resin feel in the hand? The appearance is somewhat off putting without being able to actually handle one. Can you take a shot showing how it falls in your hand?

I call it a design flaw. MB is capable of seamless sections, as witness my Shaw. They should do the same for their Skeletons when they KNOW a piston filled pen will be dipped in the ink bottle approximately 365 days a year if actually used. I suspect the pendulum is firmly stuck on the side of the collectors rather than the users.

~ Ghost Plane:

That's a useful clarification.

Thank you.

If the pendulum ever is freed it will be a welcome development.

Tom K.

I fear you may be correct, regarding the pendulum - especially on the 'more expensive' models.

As far as I can see, the groove in the section serves no practical function? Have you tried wiping it with (eg) a microfibre cloth? It may be more suited to get into the nooks and crannies? Although, even if that worked, it's a nuisance to have to use a special cloth to wipe after refilling, instead of whatever is at hand. Backward steps.

Old Montblanc-Simplo must be turning in the grave!

Tom Kellie ~ Actually it was in a boutique hotel :) Dubai's heat has become unbearable so we try to hop to nearby escapes whenever we get a chance.

Although these shots were taken by the iPhone X, I am happy that I have finally acquired a full-frame 90mm F 2.8 Macro OSS G lens!

That is to say, I have upped my photography game quite substantially and currently processing my new photos in Lightroom to display shortly :)

Ghost Plane ~ That is so very strange/frightening about your BH. I have absolutely no issues with mine, i.e it behaves like all the other pens or skeletons with no ink seepage anywhere. Its dry! Why put up with that? I do not think its a design flaw vs an individual scenario, take it back!

Not sure I understood about the Moore.. When you hold it its like any other skeleton BH/UNICEF etc don't feel the indentations as they are high up. Its also like the others opaque glass vs resin

fpn_1534107589__img_0482.jpg

fpn_1534108023__img_0484.jpg

No function except ink catcher. Next time I rinse, I’ll try that. But I’ve used my fingernails inside the paper towel trying to get into the unnecessary crevices & rinsed like mad to no avail. Imagine if I used highly saturated inks!

Tom Kellie ~ Actually it was in a boutique hotel :) Dubai's heat has become unbearable so we try to hop to nearby escapes whenever we get a chance.

Although these shots were taken by the iPhone X, I am happy that I have finally acquired a full-frame 90mm F 2.8 Macro OSS G lens!

That is to say, I have upped my photography game quite substantially and currently processing my new photos in Lightroom to display shortly :)

Ghost Plane ~ That is so very strange/frightening about your BH. I have absolutely no issues with mine, i.e it behaves like all the other pens or skeletons with no ink seepage anywhere. Its dry! Why put up with that? I do not think its a design flaw vs an individual scenario, take it back!

Not sure I understood about the Moore.. When you hold it its like any other skeleton BH/UNICEF etc don't feel the indentations as they are high up. Its also like the others opaque glass vs resin

fpn_1534107589__img_0482.jpg

fpn_1534108023__img_0484.jpg

Ah. That’s what I wanted to know. Thanks!

I’m not about to turn loose of a daily user to Texas while it’s writing well. Not after my experience with the POA. I’ll just let it run ugly until I HAVE to turn loose of it.

Have a feeling it will be serviced periodically as its a daily user. I wipe when I see it, but write it dry and ink it roughly every other day. Ive got a problem with pen companies who dont anticipate the consequences of actual use.

Modern Ancoras are just as bad with their threads on the end of the section to collect ink every time theyre filled.

:-)

Cant wait to get mine back from Hamburg. Anxiously awaiting the arrival of the O3B that I had to put in a fight for ..

Superb pictures of the Henry Moore my friend @Pravda ... handled it in NYC recently and it is truly a masterpiece.

You are incredibly humble and so generous with your words, Tom. It sometimes begin hurt me that I am not that nice. But certainly gives me something to strive for. You are certainly inspiring me to be better ... you are becoming a mystical shepherd of this sub forum.

~ nishant:

Lovely.

You're showing what a beautiful pen it is.

It's a model that attracts me for the overall design, the dog pawprints on the nib, and the association with Venice, Italy.

The image which you've posted is impressive, causing me to wonder why I ever hesitated to acquire one.

Thank you for the post and photograph. It's a highlight of this weekend to see it.

Tom K.

I inked the Copernicus 4810 a couple of weeks back. It has become a favorite already. Writing a few notes with it late at night brings a smile to my face. Every single time. A lesson in buying pens .. buy what you think you will like .. if I followed the reviews, I probably would have never pulled the trigger.

post-79857-0-05004800-1534134551_thumb.jpeg

I inked the Copernicus 4810 a couple of weeks back. It has become a favorite already. Writing a few notes with it late at night brings a smile to my face. Every single time. A lesson in buying pens .. buy what you think you will like .. if I followed the reviews, I probably would have never pulled the trigger.

Really nice pen and really nice handwriting. I like it a lot. Which nib is it?