What's Your Most Recent Mb Purchase? 2017

Ghost Plane

I have been going up in width altogether too much.

~ Broader may be better in nibs, but perhaps not in belt lengths.

Tom K.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• Pravda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Every now and then you take a punt on eBay based on a grainy photo in the hope that as it's newly listed nobody else has seen it, or the price, yet. I missed out on a Hemingway the other day by minutes, it was listed as Montblanc Pen for just a few hundred Euros, but someone else managed to complete the purchase before me. However, a few hours later, this appeared, and I managed to grab it in time. Delivered today, it is mint, complete with nib sticker (M). No box or papers, but what a pen. I am in love, my Schiller might be moving aside...

Looks good dubhe. Enjoy your new pen.

I'm enjoying the moment currently, in a few days I'll grease the piston and ink her up.

Amazing! I love the big white star on the top. When I was choosing among WE, I went on the Dickens due to the size of the star on the top. Congratulations for the new pen!

~ dubhe:

That's an effective photo, showing pen, handwriting sample and Safari ink bottle.

As I use a safari browser, write on Safaritalk.net and frequently go on safari in Africa, the ink name appeals to me.

The ink color nicely complements the pen barrel.

You've made an excellent buy! Thank you for sharing the photo.

Tom K.

It seems to me that as a Medium nib it writes quite large. Do you agree?

I actually find it fits between my Mozart Medium and Boheme Big Size Medium.

My most recent is a Burgundy Mozart set. The Yorkie dog of pens... cute, personable, thinks it's a big dog. I find that despite its small size it is growing on me daily. Who would have guessed?

post-131534-0-13108600-1488992306_thumb.jpg

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I actually find it fits between my Mozart Medium and Boheme Big Size Medium.

ok, perhaps I had a wrong impression..!

My most recent is a Burgundy Mozart set. The Yorkie dog of pens... cute, personable, thinks it's a big dog. I find that despite its small size it is growing on me daily. Who would have guessed?

Burgundy Mozart set.jpg

The Mozart is a very capable pen, as you say, it has 'small dog syndrome' and wants to play with the big boys!

Burgundy has never really appealed to me, though your collection does look good.

The Mozart is a very capable pen, as you say, it has 'small dog syndrome' and wants to play with the big boys!

Burgundy has never really appealed to me, though your collection does look good.

In person, the bordeaux pens are nothing like the photographs. Specially indoors, in the evening. They just make you go 'wow!'.

Thank you dubhe and Pravda. This is the only burgundy in the MB collection and since it had the pencil with it I couldn't resist. I was afraid I wouldn't care for the red finish as I prefer the blacks but the bordeaux is better in person than I thought it would be... so I plan to keep a lookout for a 146R, just because.

Yes, 146R Bordeaux is highly recommended. Feast your eyes

fpn_1411887031__red_montblanc_1.jpg

fpn_1411887066__red_montblanc_2.jpg

I believe there were burgundy Montlbancs as well as Bordeaux ones marked with an "R", and the latter ones were of a redder burgundy than the regular burgundy ones.

Yes, 146R Bordeaux is highly recommended. Feast your eyes

fpn_1411887031__red_montblanc_1.jpg

fpn_1411887066__red_montblanc_2.jpg

I believe there were burgundy Montlbancs as well as Bordeaux ones marked with an "R", and the latter ones were of a redder burgundy than the regular burgundy ones.

Two different finishes (colors), or is it age and/or size dependant? Two different red finishes would be quite confusing but if that is the case I have even more to learn than I thought...

... which, come to think of it, has been the case for more than 60 years. No problem.

Two different finishes (colors), or is it age and/or size dependant? Two different red finishes would be quite confusing but if that is the case I have even more to learn than I thought...

... which, come to think of it, has been the case for more than 60 years. No problem.

When I first posted this picture a few years back, it drew some responses from some members stating their burgundy MB were not as red as mine. Later someone more knowledgeable posted that originally MB did burgundy (more vintage I suppose), and then did "Bordeaux" "R" (for red) later which are a more burgundy red. The picture of mine was taken with flash so the redness is enhanced. Anyway I don't have it nor my other black 146 as I used them to fund my latest 146 Sterling Solitaire. I do miss the Bordeaux 146R. In the sunlight, I recall it did appear burgundy red just like the MB Burgundy Red ink.

Edited by max dog

I was under the impression that the R for Bordeaux is less red than the Burgundy. Naturally, bordeaux is a darker color.

fpn_1489042575__img_8365.jpg

In the evening with regular to low lighting, you almost can't tell the difference between it and black. You feel that the color is only slightly 'off' which is part of its beauty

fpn_1489042640__img_8367.jpg

I was under the impression that the R for Bordeaux is less red than the Burgundy. Naturally, bordeaux is a darker color.

In the evening with regular to low lighting, you almost can't tell the difference between it and black. You feel that the color is only slightly 'off' which is part of its beauty

~ Pravda:

Thank you for the beautiful photographs.

They clearly show the difference in hue between black and bordeaux.

Having never seen a bordeaux Montblanc, your images are especially appreciated.

Tom K.