• bobje

• Sagarb

• caliken

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fpn_1497116414__mary-oliver-peach-breath

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

"Fame is,after all,only the sum

of all the misunderstandings

that gather around a new name."

-- Rainer Maria Rilke

Can it be this week's quote?

Sagar Bhowmick

Hi Sagar,

I think the protocol goes that the first person who rendered the last week's quote gets to choose the next... clear as mud, eh?! :D

That would be 'smk' this week...

But, personally, I need all the practice I can get, and while I was writing every day, now I'm a bit busy so all I'm actually getting to fit in is maybe a couple of attempts at the QotW, so as long as nobody else minds and it doesn't confuse things too much, I'm OK with an extra quote or two. Or, I think there's another quote thread around on this board somewhere...?

Anyway, here's my attempt at this (last?!) week's quote. It's Manuscript Master with Manuscript magenta again (it seems to be one of those inks that's wet enough to write with but too dry to ever actually finish!! :yikes: I'm not really fond of it, but it just won't die!). I need to spend more time practicing; I'm getting the distinct feeling I've been getting worse recently. Back to basics I suppose.

post-132145-0-72061100-1497234668_thumb.jpg

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

Sagar,

this week it's Salman's choice, but your selection is terrific, so I'm practicing with it anyway!

fpn_1497635628__rilke-fame-bexley-poseid

Bexley Poseidon Magnum II with a 1mm italic, KWZ honey ink.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Beautiful job, Dawn!

Thank you! :)

I still have not caught up, but here is another past quote. I was practicing Roman caps variations. This would have turned out really decent if I'd gotten the spacing right. Oh well, this is just for fun, right?

35347625375_461dd7aefe_z.jpgFPN QOTW #18 (I think) by Dawn, on Flickr

Pens/nibs: Speedball B-2 + EF66; Sheaffer Connaiseur with M nib

Inks: Moon Palace Sumi, Levenger Raven Black

Sagar,

this week it's Salman's choice, but your selection is terrific, so I'm practicing with it anyway!

Hi Bob - since Sagar had already posted, I figured we would continue with that :-)

- Salman

Pen/Ink: Stipula Etruria with custom-ground italic nib/Akkerman Groenmarkt Smaragd (text); Kaweco Sport with Shadow Nib/Kaweco Brown (border); Conway Stewart Belliver with custom ground italic nib/F-C Ink 17 and F-C Model 02 with Music nib/F-C Urushi Red (decoration)

Paper: Rhodia

David

Sagar,

fpn_1497635628__rilke-fame-bexley-poseid

Bexley Poseidon Magnum II with a 1mm italic, KWZ honey ink.

Terrific writing Bob..and thank you..for your indulgence..

Sagar Bhowmick

Hi Bob - since Sagar had already posted, I figured we would continue with that :-)

- Salman

Salman, thanks very much buddy.I am really ashamed on my foolishness.. Edited by Sagarb
sagar unnecessarily harsh to self

Sagar Bhowmick

The selection of quotes is great, but of course it is the renditions you all provide that keeps me coming back daily. My practice has fallen off, summer here in the Pacific Northwest lures me away from the desk, but not so much that I can't check email including follow notices for QOTW. Very inspiring.

Thank you! :)

I still have not caught up, but here is another past quote. I was practicing Roman caps variations. This would have turned out really decent if I'd gotten the spacing right. Oh well, this is just for fun, right?

35347625375_461dd7aefe_z.jpgFPN QOTW #18 (I think) by Dawn, on Flickr

Pens/nibs: Speedball B-2 + EF66; Sheaffer Connaiseur with M nib

Inks: Moon Palace Sumi, Levenger Raven Black

Lovely work, and don't worry about the spacing: just pop an apostrophe after the 'T', and suddenly Asimov is from Yorkshire!

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

Salman, thanks very much buddy.I am really ashamed on my foolishness..

Not at all Sagar - it is of no consequence. The goal is to keep the thread moving and you chose a nice quote. I am having fun writing it out :-)

- Salman

Really beautiful lettering, Dawn! :wub:

David

Thank you!

I really like the border that you put on yours. It adds such a nice touch. I always want to do fancy borders and embellishments, but I can never seem to really relax enough to do them so that they don't look stiff and contrived. So, I stick with straight-line borders. I like the look of straight lines, but they are also kind of boring.

MercianScribe: I'll have to keep that in mind next time! :)

Edited by drv1913

I really like the border that you put on yours. It adds such a nice touch. I always want to do fancy borders and embellishments, but I can never seem to really relax enough to do them so that they don't look stiff and contrived. So, I stick with straight-line borders. I like the look of straight lines, but they are also kind of boring.

I like documents with interesting borders a lot. I'm usually too lazy to do them (not to mention lack of skill). I was in Portland a week ago and found a used copy of a Margaret Shepherd book - "Borders for Calligraphy" - for cheap at Powell's. It has some nice ideas that even I can do. BTW, the one I used is not Shepherd's fault. I accept full responsibility.

Best,

David

attachicon.gifRilke-quote002.jpg

Pen/Ink: Stipula Etruria with custom-ground italic nib/Akkerman Groenmarkt Smaragd (text); Kaweco Sport with Shadow Nib/Kaweco Brown (border); Conway Stewart Belliver with custom ground italic nib/F-C Ink 17 and F-C Model 02 with Music nib/F-C Urushi Red (decoration)

Paper: Rhodia

David

David, another superb piece of writing!

Sagar Bhowmick