2000 Piston Loose

Jim7310

I just bought my first Lamy 2000 (a pen I have wanted for a long time) and am not sure if what I am seeing on my pen is normal. The tail of the pen that operates the piston is very loose - the slightest pressure causes it to unscrew slightly and a small gap is visible. This has not caused problems other that aesthetically, it just seems like it should seat securely. Is this normal for the 2000 or does my pen have a problem?

Jim

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim7310

• ralfstc

• majorworks

• dzunglv

Probably a silly question, but have you tried tightening it down just a smidgen more? A tiny bit of tension on the mechanism should help . . . .

Good luck!

Ralf

Hi Jim,

Definitely not normal- it almost sounds like the piston mechanism is bottoming before the knob reaches the body. Ideally, the knob would stop turning as it butts up against the barrel before the piston runs out of travel, allowing a tiny bit of friction between the knob and the body to hold it all immobile. I think what you describe would be super-annoying. Is there any way you can return the pen to the seller? I'd do that before stripping it down. It's not VERY hard to take apart, but I'd practice with a cheaper piston filler before tackling a 2000. The internals of the 2000 are made of a plastic that has always struck me as potentially brittle . . . .

R.

Yes, that is definitely not normal. The piston knob should seat firmly against the barrel when the piston is fully retracted. In fact, the piston knob and the barrel should match up almost seemlessly. Either send it back to the vendor or contact Lamy USA for a replacement. They'll sort you out.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

Thanks much for that information - that is what I needed to hear. I sent an email to Goulet Pens today to see how to go about returning.

Jim

The nice folks at Goulet Pen got back to me today. She asked me if I was tightening the piston until it just stopped or twisting it about one "click" more. I had only been gently turning the piston know until I felt it snug. Upon twisting it a bit more (more than I would have thought), it tightened more and the body/tail cap seam disappeared and the tail cap does not move. Now that I know what to do it seems simple and I should have realized it was that simple.

Glad you got your problem resolved. I can certainly understand the hesitance to "force" anything in regard to the piston. Over-tightening it could come with it's own set of issues.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

Yes, I was concerned since no other pen I own requires this type of stronger tightening. Everything with fountain pens seems to be "gentle". Not that I am cranking on it with a wrench or anything :) it is just a bit more force than gently snugging up the threads.

As an aside, this interaction with Goulet Pens was typical for me. My question was promptly answered by a knowledgeable person who offered helpful, accurate advice along with an offer to replace the item if the suggested fix did not work. (most of the time my problems have turned out to be user error). Its nice to do business with people like this.

I've not had too much experience with Goulet Pens other than ordering a couple of accessory items. But their reputation for customer service is very good.

My 2000 is a good 7-8 years old now, and it did suffer the fairly common cracked barrel issue somewhere back there. In that case, I dealt with Filofax, and that went very well also. Very quick turnaround and good communications.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

• 4 years later...

Yes, indeed, this is useful thread. I remember facing the same issue, when I got my Lamy 2000 years ago. Sure it feels uneasy to tighten the piston while you feel some notable feedback, but in this case it is normal. Once you have done it, you get a feel for how the piston works and how much force can be used safely.