Need Good Rollerball Recommendation

paulmi603

I am looking for a high end rollerball pen. My budget is $150 max. Right now I am looking at Cross Townsend, Parker Sonnet, and Waterman Expert. Anyone have any recommendations? Any pens I should steer clear from?

Thanks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erik Dalton

• Studio97

• paulmi603

• IvoryParker

All great pens and I have cross and Waterman RB. I have to look for refills that work for me. Standard refills make too fine of a line. So it's a hunt to find a broader refill. I did pick up a clearance unopened black cross classic RB. The threads were sort of warped. Quality control issue. My Townsend was OK.

The Expert fountain pen is one of the most comfortable in my hand to write with, so i looked into the Rollerball version. The waterman seemed to be the most versatile as far as refills. I did some research and found that the Expert and Carene rollerball can take a standard int'l rollerball refill by any number of makers (except MB). I really like the pilot G-2 Gel rollerball. The Expert takes that refill perfectly. I 'm very happy with my rollerball, its a sturdy good looking pen, but not too flashy. I like the way it feels,& writes. That Pilot Gel refill Made me a happy guy..lol...I also put one in my Carene rollerball.

I recently got my hands on a Zebra R-301 roller ball that uses ink cartridge refills, it's a cheap little pen with a reasonably wide tip that lays down a lovely dark & not too wet line. I''m syringe filling the empty cartridges with Diamine Twilght ink & it's turning out to be good value for money.

http://www.jetpens.com/Zebra-R-301-Stainless-Steel-Rollerball-Pen-with-Refill-0.7-mm-Black/pd/11193

The Expert fountain pen is one of the most comfortable in my hand to write with, so i looked into the Rollerball version. The waterman seemed to be the most versatile as far as refills. I did some research and found that the Expert and Carene rollerball can take a standard int'l rollerball refill by any number of makers (except MB). I really like the pilot G-2 Gel rollerball. The Expert takes that refill perfectly. I 'm very happy with my rollerball, its a sturdy good looking pen, but not too flashy. I like the way it feels,& writes. That Pilot Gel refill Made me a happy guy..lol...I also put one in my Carene rollerball.

Nice reply Old Salt. I was a little concerned about the availability of refills so thats good to know about the Expert. I found this particular one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Waterman-Expert-Rollerball-refill-S0951880/dp/B00JRUSQQO?th=1

Its even less expensive than the others. This is the Blue Obsession model.

Edited by paulmi603

That's a nice looking pen. If you hunt around you can still find good deals on the expert line. A lot of the pen sellers are having sales. It's a good time to shop.

I looked at the cross "multi-tip" rollerball, but it only takes cross refills which have mixed reviews.

There are so many more refill options with the Expert.

Check out the broad G-2 refill if you want a broad ink line.

I'm loving the Uni-ball eye at the moment. Its super smooth, leaves and indelible mark and are quite cheap. I prefer the ub157

I bought one of these, the burgundy version, high quality and next step along from their 1940s ballpoint. Takes Monteverde or Montblanc refills.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eversharp+skyline+rollerball&client=ms-android-samsung&biw=747&bih=365&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_zsy-0ffQAhUG2RoKHfiYDkAQsAQIIg

Edited by Stephen2020
/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

I bought one of these, the burgundy version, high quality and next step along from their 1940s ballpoint. Takes Monteverde or Montblanc refills.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eversharp+skyline+rollerball&client=ms-android-samsung&biw=747&bih=365&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_zsy-0ffQAhUG2RoKHfiYDkAQsAQIIg

Is it me or does this pen have a striking resemblance to the waterman phileas? Or vice versa

I think Waterman copied it because they bought a company called Sermec who had been making Skylines under licence?

/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

I'm using a "uni-ball air". Very smooth and a unique writing tip. It has a cartridge you can refill with our ink.

Make sure that you get the "uni-ball air" with the white body and vertical ink windows though. I also have a "uni-ball air micro" that is virtually the same pen: same section, same cap, same writing tip, same barrel, but different barrel design. The barrel is black/carbon-fiber print design and it cannot be screwed open from the section.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

• 2 weeks later...

It's really all about the refill. My favorite is the Schmidt ceramic ball which glides effortlessly across the page. I use this refill in a few pens including the ST Dupont Classique Sterling Silver Rollerball (my favorite) as well as in a MB Noblesse Slimline.

I have a few Parker rollerballl pens including a red Sonnet with gold trim and a Parker 75 Cisele. My advice would be to avoid the Parkers because the rollerball refills are not so hot. I find that they tend to ooze at the plastic tip when I fly with them...and they only offer them in black and blue, so if you want red you are out of luck.

The Cross Rollerball pens are also quite nice (I have a few of those)

I'm using a "uni-ball air". Very smooth and a unique writing tip. It has a cartridge you can refill with our ink.

Make sure that you get the "uni-ball air" with the white body and vertical ink windows though. I also have a "uni-ball air micro" that is virtually the same pen: same section, same cap, same writing tip, same barrel, but different barrel design. The barrel is black/carbon-fiber print design and it cannot be screwed open from the section.

I bought a pack of AIR some time ago and sure enough, they are as you've described. Can I just dump any old fountain pen ink in the cartridge or do I need to be careful about what inks I use in a rollerball?

--flatline

• 3 weeks later...

First make up your mind what refill you really like and is readily available where you live. Then find out which brands take the refill and narrow it down that way.

You can have a fancy outer hull, but if you dislike the refill you have a problem.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

First make up your mind what refill you really like and is readily available where you live. Then find out which brands take the refill and narrow it down that way.

You can have a fancy outer hull, but if you dislike the refill you have a problem.

I second that!

Since you mention the Parker Sonnet, I urge you to check out the Parker rollerball refill BEFORE you buy one a Parker Sonnet rollerball pen. I have several Parker rollerball pens (Duofolds and Sonnets): while I love the pen body, I dislike the Parker rollerball refill. Unfortunately, the only alternative to the Parker rollerball refill is the Monteverde refill made for Parker rollerball pens: both are scratchy, dry writers and neither comes in a broad point.

If you like the G2 Bold refill then you have more pen options as you do for pens which take Schmidt rollerball refill or the Monteverde refill made for Pelikan rollerball pens; I enjoy the broad refill for each of these. Cross provides a ballpoint refill, a felt-tip, and a gel ink rollerball option for its select-tip pens; the Cross gel ink rollerball refill is quite nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Delta Italiana g2 refill It just clicked for me. Had a dock accident watery grave. Third tier fountain pen doric type converted over. Levenger true writer g2 insert. The levenger is pretty fair but top heavy posted.

Couldn't agree more. Any Waterman rollerball with a Pilot G-2 gel refill is a match made in heaven.

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/Bradley_064/th_Bradleyssignature.jpg

Just picked up a Retro 51 rollerball. Nice writer for the money $25.00. I don't know how long the fillers will last.